BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2021 X3 xDrive 30e plays the vast majority of music files (m4a, wav, mp3, Flac) but what it doesn't do is consistently display the album covers embedded in all the files. Sometimes the display seems random. Other times it impacts all the albums from a particular artist. Very weird. Here's the image it displays instead of the album cover:

Has anyone else seen this behavior? I've tried comparing the file formats, tag information, changing the cover art images (different images, resizing, png vs. jpg) all to no avail. Sometimes touching the files with mp3tag (www.mp3tag.de) seems to fix the problem but more often it does not. All the files appear correctly in the Finder (I'm using a Mac) except for the .flac files (the Finder doesn't know that format).

I'm at a loss at this point. Maybe I'm looking at a bug in iDrive. Any insight appreciated.

·
Stuart in Houston
688 Posts
That's an odd problem. Just to clarify, when it doesn't display the proper (embedded) image, it always displays that weird "load a disk" image (or whatever it's supposed to represent)?

I spent a lot of time fixing my MP3 files, and their embedded images. I found that the image the car chose wasn't always correct, or was missing, so I went thru every file (thousands of them), and added covers. I also use MP3Tag, without any issues. And since I've done that, I haven't had a single problem. That's why yours is so perplexing.

If you'd like, if you have two files, one that always works, and one that always doesn't, feel free to send them to me, and I can try them in my car and see what displays.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's an odd problem. Just to clarify, when it doesn't display the proper (embedded) image, it always displays that weird "load a disk" image (or whatever it's supposed to represent)?

I spent a lot of time fixing my MP3 files, and their embedded images. I found that the image the car chose wasn't always correct, or was missing, so I went thru every file (thousands of them), and added covers. I also use MP3Tag, without any issues. And since I've done that, I haven't had a single problem. That's why yours is so perplexing.

If you'd like, if you have two files, one that always works, and one that always doesn't, feel free to send them to me, and I can try them in my car and see what displays.

Good luck!
It is odd, isn't it? My latest attempt was to reformat the thumb drive in exFat. It was in FAT32. In principle it shouldn't matter. None of the music files exceeds the size limit (4GB) for FAT32. I also changed the volume name. More covers are displaying correctly now. Some still show the weird icon (whatever that is) but now I'm seeing multiple instances of the same album in the "browse album" view.

I wonder if there is a way to reset the head unit so that it has never seen these files before. Maybe there is some caching going on? When I remove the drive to add files and reinsert it there is no delay in searching or browsing like there is the first time I insert the drive. The problems I'm seeing might be the result of caching in the head unit. Hopefully I don't have to do a global reset and start over making profiles, etc..

BTW the thumb drive I'm using is a Samsung 128GB USB 3.1 unit. Seems to work fine on my Mac. Technically the BMW audio system is supposed to support 128GB thumb drives.

Let me do a little more poking around before I send you two files (both of which look like they should work). One of us wasting his time is probably sufficient! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Good luck!
To answer your first question: Yes, either it displays the cover art correctly or it displays the bizarre icon. Must be the universal symbol for something we don't know. :)

·
Stuart in Houston
688 Posts
Gary, first off, I don't mind helping, so don't hesitate to send a couple files. Having said that I just left for a week off in Florida, so ain't nothing happenin' till next weekend. :cool:

The car does cache the drive, it remembers each one you insert. If you want to add files to try, I suggest putting them on a different USB drive each time, so it's forced to re-read it.

128GB is no problem, I've used 256. And Samsung is fine, I use them also.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
Ship Captain of the Ever Given
1,486 Posts
I have no idea. I don’t keep up with OTA updates. I just found it in another post linked by another member and thought of your issues. Figured I’d link it here for you.
Separately there are no known service bulletins about your issue and I’ve never heard of your specific issue to date either. I’m kind of interested to know the resolution on this one IF there is one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts