BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The latest e30 that I'm interested in buying has 171,000 KM's according to the dealer.. While CarFax shows the following..

02/26/2002 114,953 miles Vehicle Inspection Station
British Columbia Passed emissions inspection
Odometer reported as 185,000 kilometres

02/27/2004 126,759 miles Vehicle Inspection Station
British Columbia Passed emissions inspection
Odometer reported as 204,000 kilometres

It had more KM's on it in 2002 than it currently has now.. :eek:

I'm wondering what I should do about this... Vancouver is 3-4 hours away from where I live and I was planning on making the drive on Saturday to go look at the car which sounds and looks fantastic..

Options:
screw it, go look at the car.. buy it if I like it..
report this to whoever I'm supposed to report this too and keep looking..
use the odometer fraud against the dealer to get a better deal on the car..
just phone the dealer and say what gives with this inconsistency..

What would you do?

1991 BMW 318IC 5SPEED

·
fightin' round the world
1,770 Posts
i would definatley bring it up, if it works out for him to make a better deal, great!

on the other hand, if the dealer did indeed roll back the clock, who's to know what else he did to cut corners on making this car profitable for him.

on second thought, i would reportit to whoever you're supposed to, and move on. plenty of respectable cars out there

·
Black Mage
2,337 Posts
They might have had the instrument cluster replaced. My friends 325ix cluster broke down after 179k miles and he replaced it with one that said 124k.

·
Registered
E92 07 328xi, 04 F350 6.0, 92 Jetta Carat
2,507 Posts
They might have had the instrument cluster replaced. My friends 325ix cluster broke down after 179k miles and he replaced it with one that said 124k.
yeah but they are suppose to redo the mile on the cluster when it is swapped out. so i would be careful of what else they might have done to the car...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I phoned.. He said that the cluster must have been replaced and that it doesn't matter what the mileage is as this car will last for 350,000+ km's anyway. I asked him what his hours were on Saturday as I would like to see the car anyway. He said that they're not open on Saturday.. I asked if he would be willing to meet me there on Saturday anyway to potentially make the sale. He said 'no way'. I told him that I'm 4 hours away and that weekends would be only time that I could come see the car. He said he won't come in on Saturday as life is too important..

okie dokie..

bleh

·
Registered
E92 07 328xi, 04 F350 6.0, 92 Jetta Carat
2,507 Posts
i guess he doesnt want a sale to bad then.

another thing i just remember if a car is over 100k miles they dont even show it on the car titles anyway. it says exceeds mechanical limits in that section..

·
Registered
314 Posts
I phoned.. He said that the cluster must have been replaced and that it doesn't matter what the mileage is as this car will last for 350,000+ km's anyway. I asked him what his hours were on Saturday as I would like to see the car anyway. He said that they're not open on Saturday.. I asked if he would be willing to meet me there on Saturday anyway to potentially make the sale. He said 'no way'. I told him that I'm 4 hours away and that weekends would be only time that I could come see the car. He said he won't come in on Saturday as life is too important..

okie dokie..

bleh
Sounds like to me the dealer is protecting his butt. You brought this up and he was applying that it must be a different cluster....Easy way out it sounds to me. You would think one of the sales peole would come in on Saturday to take a chance and make a commission. Either they do not like making money or they would rather YOU do not show up with all this information.....

Again it sounds fishy to me but that does not mean a thing.
always suspicious....Jami

·
an audience of One
7,853 Posts

okie dokie..

bleh
Ask him to give you a written warranty on that :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts