BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone let me know the brand and specification for the 18 inch wheel?

Tire Rack only lists the Run-Flat Pirelli Cinturato as OEM.

·
Casual Fanatic
2,192 Posts
Which wheel are we talking about here?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 18 inch wheel.

I saw on Tire Rack that Pirelli makes a non run-flat Cinturato - maybe BMW is throwing those on too as OEM?

·
Casual Fanatic
2,192 Posts
Still don't know what you're looking for! :dunno:

Brand and specification for 18 inch wheel for what car? BMW models all have different OEM wheels and the tire brand they use may also vary from model to model.

BMW is not likely to label a non-runflat tire as OEM if all their new cars are coming with runflats.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Still don't know what you're looking for! :dunno:

Brand and specification for 18 inch wheel for what car? BMW models all have different OEM wheels and the tire brand they use may also vary from model to model.

BMW is not likely to label a non-runflat tire as OEM if all their new cars are coming with runflats.
Jay, this is the x1 forum so I assume he's asking about an F48. You can factory order with non run flats and he's wondering what BMW ships with their cars when you order the car that way (on the 18" wheels)

·
Casual Fanatic
2,192 Posts
Jay, this is the x1 forum so I assume he's asking about an F48. You can factory order with non run flats and he's wondering what BMW ships with their cars when you order the car that way (on the 18" wheels)
Thank you for that clarification, IIDX!

·
Casual Fanatic
2,192 Posts
I wasn't aware that you could order factory non-runflats. I guess then you're on your own if you get a flat?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I wasn't aware that you could order factory non-runflats. I guess then you're on your own if you get a flat?
Not quite on your own.. you either use the supplied sealent gunk & compressor, or press the SOS call button and arrange for the cavalry to arrive ;)

My UK spec F48 X1 came with 18inch wheels fitted with OEM non run-flat tyres. They are Bridgestone Turanza T001 225/50 R18 99W - though I think there may be better alternatives. Not sure if they're available in the US.

·
Registered
11,408 Posts
Not quite on your own.. you either use the supplied sealent gunk & compressor, or press the SOS call button and arrange for the cavalry to arrive ;)

My UK spec F48 X1 came with 18inch wheels fitted with OEM non run-flat tyres. They are Bridgestone Turanza T001 225/50 R18 99W - though I think there may be better alternatives. Not sure if they're available in the US.
Us Americans are rugged individualists. So, we'd.... wait for it... put the spare tire on.

In the U.S. the non-RFT's come with a spare. For 2016, the non-RFT's were a no cost option but you had to pay $150 for the spare. For 2017, the spare is free with (free) non-RFT's.

·
Casual Fanatic
2,192 Posts
Good to see that BMW is reversing direction on this.

·
Registered
11,408 Posts
Good to see that BMW is reversing direction on this.
True 'dat. The non-RFT, spare tire thing is what put the X1 on our list for the next Frauwagen. But, she liked the X3 better. I put the kabash on the X3 because of RFT's and no hole to put a spare in. We're waiting for the next X3, hoping BMW really has come to their senses. The new 7 Series also offers a spare, but not non-RFT's. BMW's published a parts list so that 7 Series owners can retrofit a spare. There's a built up trunk floor with a spare tire hole.

I have RFT's on my 535i and they're horrible. They wear as if they're under-inflated. I'm convinced that's inherent with RFT's. I can mitigate the uneven wear by over-inflating them. But, then they ride even worse.

I bought a donut spare, which sits in the trunk. Every time I have to hump that thing out to get my flat trunk floor back for a trip to Sam's Club I get a little more annoyed.

The 2's, 3's, and 4's in the U.S. offer a Track Handling Package, which included top-of-the-line, high performance Michelin Pilot Super Sports. But, there's no spare with THP. You get a pump with a slime cartridge. If you buy a spare, the trunk becomes pretty much just a spare tire storage compartment. I had an M3, and I bought a spare. Most of my road trips involved just me. So, I lived out of duffle bags thrown in the back seat. Eventually, I did have a flat on the road. 20 minutes, and I was on my way again.

I read that the new M-B E Class has done away with the spare. I was invited to a BMW event to compare an F10 to the previous E Class. I made a point of showing a BMW rep the M-B's spare tire and the one I carry in my trunk. His first response was "Yeah, but how often to you have a flat tire?"

"More often than I have a wreck, but I put on my safety belt every time I drive my car."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine has Pirelli Cinturato P7 All-Season 225/50 R18

However! I'm not quite 100% absolutely certain those are stock, as I bought my X1 with 3600 miles on it; supposedly it was a lease return. I *believe* they are stock, and I do have the BMW mini-spare.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got my 2016 X1 last April, which I ordered with non-runflat tires in December 2015. It arrived with Pirelli 225/50R18 95V M+S non-runflat tires.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts