BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This combo can hurt or damage my dampers??? OEM Non sports springs with Bilsteins Sports????

·
Registered
473 Posts
Billy Sports are designed for use with lowering springs. They will not be well matched with standard OEM springs. I don't know if it will cause any damage per se, but with springs that are poorly matched to the dampers (both in terms of compression travel and dampening) you will not have optimal ride or handling. You may be better off with Bilstein HD shocks and standard OEM springs. Some folk on here have had good results using HDs with OEM sport springs. It seems to be a good compromise in terms of both comfort and handling.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Billy Sports are designed for use with lowering springs. They will not be well matched with standard OEM springs. I don't know if it will cause any damage per se, but with springs that are poorly matched to the dampers (both in terms of compression travel and dampening) you will not have optimal ride or handling. You may be better off with Bilstein HD shocks and standard OEM springs. Some folk on here have had good results using HDs with OEM sport springs. It seems to be a good compromise in terms of both comfort and handling.
Can this be the cause of my stupid clunk over the bumps???? when I replaced my dampers, also I replaced steering rack (with a NEW on, NOT REBUILT), tie roads, thrust arms bushings, sway bars links, front a rear dampers mounts.....

I'm already buying the OEM Sports springs, and I need to wait a week to arrive them here in Panama.

My last combo was Bilstein HD with OEM Non springs, but I need to change my dampers, because my front right shock was blow out, here in Panama the streets are very very very very very very bad, believe me when I said VERY bad..........

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Can this be the cause of my stupid clunk over the bumps???? when I replaced my dampers, also I replaced steering rack (with a NEW on, NOT REBUILT), tie roads, thrust arms bushings, sway bars links, front a rear dampers mounts.....

I'm already buying the OEM Sports springs, and I need to wait a week to arrive them here in Panama.

My last combo was Bilstein HD with OEM Non springs, but I need to change my dampers, because my front right shock was blow out, here in Panama the streets are very very very very very very bad, believe me when I said VERY bad..........
Jose...whatever you install, make sure the strut nut up top has a 9/16" lock washer to make sure the strut mount is very secure with the strut shaft. This may be the source of your clunk, even as trivial as it may sound. I went round and round and thought it was my steering rack and it ended up being that.

Take a look at this thread and see if it might help...http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238680&highlight=front+end+clunk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jose...whatever you install, make sure the strut nut up top has a 9/16" lock washer to make sure the strut mount is very secure with the strut shaft. This may be the source of your clunk, even as trivial as it may sound. I went round and round and thought it was my steering rack and it ended up being that.

Take a look at this thread and see if it might help...http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238680&highlight=front+end+clunk
Are you saying the part number 3 of the diagram????
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DM41&mospid=47539&btnr=31_0256&hg=31&fg=10

Thanks Michel for the post...

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
You know what?, I already put this washer and guest what??????? the clunk persists...:cry:
Did you use the flat (3) or a lock washer (much thicker). Also, it would not hurt to double it up and see if that makes a difference. You just want to make sure the upper spring pocket is secured as much as possible to the shaft of the strut.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you use the flat (3) or a lock washer (much thicker). Also, it would not hurt to double it up and see if that makes a difference. You just want to make sure the upper spring pocket is secured as much as possible to the shaft of the strut.
First flat (any difference) and after the flat the locker with any difference.....

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
This combo can hurt or damage my dampers??? OEM Non sports springs with Bilsteins Sports????
You can do it w/o problems. There is no reason why is will not work. The springs will be over dampened but that will not be a problem.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can do it w/o problems. There is no reason why is will not work. The springs will be over dampened but that will not be a problem.
NO no no no, NOW in car I have the lock washer...... and still the clunk.....

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
I'm not speaking of washers or lock washers, etc. :yikes:

I'm talking about struts and springs. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
7,590 Posts
Did you replace your upper shock mounts?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not speaking of washers or lock washers, etc. :yikes:

I'm talking about struts and springs. :thumbup:
oohhhh, well I think that I have the clunk because the springs........., because I have Bilstein Sports with NON sports springs....... but maybe it's no the reason, maybe it's other....

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
oohhhh, well I think that I have the clunk because the springs........., because I have Bilstein Sports with NON sports springs....... but maybe it's no the reason, maybe it's other....
Did you replace the spring pads?

Are you sure you are using the 9/16" - grade 8 lock washer, that can be found at Lowes?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Did you replace the spring pads?

Are you sure you are using the 9/16" - grade 8 lock washer, that can be found at Lowes?
Hi Jason........, yes I'm using 9/16" grade 8, and NO, no replace the spring pads yet.......

I already buyed, but I'm watting to have my OEM Sports springs to do that change.... spring pads, washer flat and and nut cover (piece 6 and 7 on the realoem)..., so do you think my clunk are bad spring pads???

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
The Bilsteins Sports are fine with Sport springs or with Non-Sport springs and even with aftermarket springs.

·
Registered
8,775 Posts

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Hi Jason........, yes I'm using 9/16" grade 8, and NO, no replace the spring pads yet.......

I already buyed, but I'm watting to have my OEM Sports springs to do that change.... spring pads, washer flat and and nut cover (piece 6 and 7 on the realoem)..., so do you think my clunk are bad spring pads???
Yes, it sounds like bad spring pads.
Look here:
http://www.beisansystems.com/procedures/front_struts_procedure.htm

And it tells that the clunking can be from worn spring pads.
I would replace all of the spring pads, and all of the connecting fasteners, washers, pinch bolts, and lock nuts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts