BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My second post here.

I finally got all the issues resolved with my 335i Coupe, and have been a happy camper for the last 2 months or so.

I have a 6sp manual and had been considering the factory short shift kit. For all of my troubles the dealer I go to has offered it to me at an extremely reduced price including install, so I've decided to do it.

Has anyone else here installed it? And what are your thoughts on the differences with the standard shifter that comes from the factory?

Thanks.

·
116 Posts
I had one on my 06 330i. I loved it vs the factory shifter. The pros are shorter throw, more comfortable shift knob, and overall better looking (last 2 are IMO). The con is increased effort in shifting. The consensus around here is that it's a love-it or hate-it mod. I would suggest trying before you commit.

·
Registered
381 Posts
It feels weird at first because its shaped differently but I like the shorter shift more. It feels more sporty, however, I don't think it looks as good. I also don't like having an "M" showing on my nonM car. But who cares really right? No one really ever sees it. I think for the sporty feel, it is a very good upgrade. Installation could not be easier either.

·
wooohooo
2,909 Posts
It feels weird at first because its shaped differently but I like the shorter shift more. It feels more sporty, however, I don't think it looks as good. I also don't like having an "M" showing on my nonM car. But who cares really right? No one really ever sees it. I think for the sporty feel, it is a very good upgrade. Installation could not be easier either.
You must be thinking of the knob only? (I have the ZHP but paid extra to not have the M logo, btw.) The SSK is an entirely different thing.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102808

I've checked out the Alcantara knob in person, and I didn't like it. Even the dealer at the dealership said he didn't like it when I stopped in to check these things out.

Other much more affordable mods for the MT driver are the CDV delete, clutch stop, and of course the knob. I spent less than $200 including the Zeckhausen CDV-005 install. If I didn't care about M logos on my knob, was willing to DIY my own stop, and if I was willing to bore out my original CDV, and reinstall myself, well that would probably be about $70. Another $100, for me, was worth saving me the trouble.

I drove with the CDV for 1.5 years, and wish I did the delete earlier. I think it is a better mod than the knob, IMO. The stop is nice, but the least important IMO. Though I still like it quite a bit, as I can sit further from the steering wheel now.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had one on my 06 330i. I loved it vs the factory shifter. The pros are shorter throw, more comfortable shift knob, and overall better looking (last 2 are IMO). The con is increased effort in shifting. The consensus around here is that it's a love-it or hate-it mod. I would suggest trying before you commit.
Trying it would be nice, but I can't find one in me area to try. I kinda have to make the decision to try it out. I guess I could swap it back if I hate it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No M on this one, and they are paying for the labor to install it. I am only paying for the kit, and at a highly discounted price.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.