BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wondering if anyone else has encountered this.

I ordered a set of style 197's from Tischer, but one of the wheels doesn't have the BBS stamped into the wheel and appears to be made elsewhere. It's got different markings than it's mate, the paint overspray is different, the insides of the spokes are rougher, and there's a '13' on the face rather than a '1'. The 13 is also printed after the part number on the inside of the wheel. The manufactured date stamp is also different and is '07 rather than '08.

Anybody run into this when ordering a replacement wheel? I'm not happy if the wheel isn't made by BBS, and I definately don't like that it has a 13 on it's face when the other three have a '1'. I'm still waiting on a response from Jason at Tischer, they've got a pretty good reputation, so hopefully they'll find a matching wheel, or allow for a return since the thing isn't what I thought I was buying.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
At the price I would at least want them to match and all 4 to be the same instead of from 2 different suppliers - it isn't really that odd for stuff to come from different suppliers across different years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree - it's not that strange that a different manufacturer might make the part, but they should make a part that matches visually.

We'll see if they meet me halfway on this, It's not Tischer's fault that the rim doesn't match, but it's not mine either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are they even the same weight? If not, then you definitely don't want to use them.
Good point - I very much doubt they weigh the same. That could screw up the handling of the car a bit.

I'll have to do some calculating to determine weight since the other rear wheel already has a tire mounted. I'll have to weigh the tire, then tire/wheel combo, then I could calc the BBS weight for comparison.

Argh - :tsk:

Hopefully they can get me a matching rim and this will all get resolved. I'm still discussing w/Jason but he did say that the wheel is definately NOT a rep, probably a different manufacturer.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Are you sure you purchased a factory 197 rim? When buying rims or any thing for that matter, when the word "Style" is in the title of the product, that means its not the original.

When I was looking for rims on my old car there were plenty of Z5000 style rims (Knock offs that are much cheaper, btw), but I was looking to buy the real deal; "Racing Harts".

Just my .02 . Just wondering if the marketers got you on this one.

Hope the dealer resolves the issue.

·
Special Agent
2,683 Posts
02 LIGHT ALLOY RIM 8JX18 ET:34 2 36116769566 $473.18 +core
02 LIGHT ALLOY RIM 8 1/2JX18 ET:37 2 36116769567 $487.69 +core

Circle BMW has the correct Part #listed
http://www.circlebmw.com/parts/rim.htm

I have a feeling you may have gotten an after-market rim. The other issue is with BBS though, they filed for bankruptcy IIRC so they may not even makes those any longer so it would be an after-market or other manufacturer producing them.

This is interesting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Are you sure you purchased a factory 197 rim? When buying rims or any thing for that matter, when the word "Style" is in the title of the product, that means its not the original.

When I was looking for rims on my old car there were plenty of Z5000 style rims (Knock offs that are much cheaper, btw), but I was looking to buy the real deal; "Racing Harts".

Just my .02 . Just wondering if the marketers got you on this one.

Hope the dealer resolves the issue.
I only mentioned 'style 197' since that's how BMW refers to all their wheels, 'Style ###'.

I bought the rim in question from Tischer BMW using the part number off the BBS wheel that I already had in hand. They are definately not the same wheel exactly, but I did go through a reputable dealer, and the boxes look to be very similiar. Jason at Tischer stated they're not 'reps' and I take them at their word, but I have found that reps are now being made. One of the two wheels they provided DID have the BBS stamping and correct markings.

reps site: http://www.wheelsandcaps.com/w_selection_oem.asp?oem=36116769566 The number at the end is the 'old' part number, see below.

I agree, hopefully Tischer will come through as they should and make this right. They're getting another rim right now, and will let me know if it's a match. If it is, an exchange will happen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
02 LIGHT ALLOY RIM 8JX18 ET:34 2 36116769566 $473.18 +core
02 LIGHT ALLOY RIM 8 1/2JX18 ET:37 2 36116769567 $487.69 +core

Circle BMW has the correct Part #listed
http://www.circlebmw.com/parts/rim.htm

I have a feeling you may have gotten an after-market rim. The other issue is with BBS though, they filed for bankruptcy IIRC so they may not even makes those any longer so it would be an after-market or other manufacturer producing them.

This is interesting.
That's the 'supersceded' part number according to my local dealer and Tischer.

But here's an interesting bit, no sooner do I say above that no one's creating a rep of this wheel, but I use this older p/n to find that 'wheel and caps' makes one.. check this out...
http://www.wheelsandcaps.com/w_selection_oem.asp?oem=36116769567 They've got the fronts too.

Man, I sincerely hope that I don't have a replica sitting in my garage right now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
More info - been talking with a member over at e46fanatics forums, and when he bought his set of 197's from his dealer, he was told that BBS only stamps one of the four, usually a rear one. :confused:

This is completely strange, since the BBS is cast into the wheel. It's not like they just throw a sticker on them or something. So I think tooling wise, they'd cast BBS into all of them, fronts or rears at a minimum, not just one wheel. I also spoke with a guy selling a set of these on Ebay, takeoffs from a 328i sport, and they are ALL marked BBS.

... the plot thickens.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts