BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have been prowling the forums trying to figure this one out, so I apologize if this has already been answered. I have gotten through the install of the OEM BMW trailer hitch up to the point of reassembly. However, I am a bit confused because the bumper will not fit over the trailer hitch. Is it supposed to be this way?

Unfortunately, the BMW manual doesn't seem to cover this nuance...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Can pictures please be posted of the issue.

This topic on my Invisihitch installation shows how the bumper facia fits over the hitch and how the gravel guard needs to be modified w/ a cutout.

What is the issue on your OEM hitch?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, after some playing around, I answered my own question. The stock bumper physically cannot fit over the OEM hitch. The tow point is built into the hitch, and there is a metal brace between the tow point and the tubular section of the hitch. It seems like a pretty lazy design move, or it could just be that there were insufficient clearances to support the hitch and the bumper. See the attached pic for reference. Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle Auto part Car

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On a semi related note, I received a passenger restraint warning after reassembling and reconnecting the battery. I drove around for a bit to see if it would clear on its own, but no dice. The fuse block diagram doesn't seem to list a fuse affiliated with the passenger restraints. Does anyone have any ideas short of taking the car into the dealer?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Very bad idea to disconnect the battery. The dealership can fix it and will probably charge you because it is your fault, or you can contact Code my Car, link in my topic, to clear that fault and to go through the hours of expert programming to inform your vehicle about your new trailer module, so everything works properly.

It is possible to do this yourself, but after watching this for several hours, I suggest leaving it to the expert.

Yes, the new hitch bar replaces the prior aluminum bumper reinforcement. Only one is required to transfer the rear impact forces to the mounting points.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Wingless. I appreciate the feedback. It is crazy how sensitive the electronics are in these cars...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: I took my SUV into BMW to have the trailer module programmed. It turns out I missed the positive battery terminal safety wire when I was reconnecting the battery. It was the cause of my passenger restraint fault. Other than that, the new trailer hitch zoom on my backup camera is great. I still feel like the hitch should be a factory installed option, but what can you do?

Edit: clarity

·
Registered
195 Posts
Great news!

IMO BMW USA is not offering the hitch because they don't want the legal exposure for accidents while trailering.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i wish i had discovered this thread about 4-5 hours ago... i was convinced i received the wrong piece as there would be no way BMW would not take into consideration something this simple. i think the one DIY video threw me off b/c they reinstall the aluminum bumper... so i just thought there must be a mistake with the part i received. i called it quites for the night & was ready to return it on monday asking my dealer for a new part #..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Very bad idea to disconnect the battery. The dealership can fix it and will probably charge you because it is your fault, or you can contact Code my Car, link in my topic, to clear that fault and to go through the hours of expert programming to inform your vehicle about your new trailer module, so everything works properly.

It is possible to do this yourself, but after watching this for several hours, I suggest leaving it to the expert.

Yes, the new hitch bar replaces the prior aluminum bumper reinforcement. Only one is required to transfer the rear impact forces to the mounting points.
the OEM instructions tell you to disconnect the battery. you are splicing wires and making connections to the fuse panel in the back of the car, so you should definitely disconnect the battery as per the instructions.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I also just finished installing the OEM hitch on my X3. Did you guys get the trailer hitch warning message after putting everything together?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, I have a trailer hitch warning after I connected everything back up.

The error on the NAV Screen is:

"Do not drive with a trailer connected to this vehicle. Consult Service center"

·
Registered
29 Posts
I read that the system has tube programmed for the trailer. With the electronics added, it will know when the trailer is connected to turn off the backup warning, etc. that is why I expect to have the dealer install my trailer hitch when the time comes. Can anyone confirm if this is true and what should the DIY's do?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ok, I took the car to a dealer and they updated the program. No more warning message. The price for programming was outrageous, $350. They claim it takes two hours to program, but I seriously doubt it.

·
Registered
195 Posts

Ok, I took the car to a dealer and they updated the program. No more warning message. The price for programming was outrageous, $350. They claim it takes two hours to program, but I seriously doubt it.
When I watched CodeMyCar remotely program my vehicle for the new trailer module, plus all the configuration options I selected, it was over two hours of expert action. I highly recommend CodeMyCar for this service.

The CodeMyCar remote programming cost was included in the purchase for my Invisihitch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great news!

IMO BMW USA is not offering the hitch because they don't want the legal exposure for accidents while trailering.
Huh? I had the OEM hitch installed in the US a few months ago at a BMW dealership. No issues and it functions great.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I still feel like the hitch should be a factory installed option, but what can you do?
Huh? I had the OEM hitch installed in the US a few months ago at a BMW dealership. No issues and it functions great.
The subset of factory configuration options made available to US customers is determined by BMW USA.

They are the ones who decided that nobody in the US can tick a box on an order form to have BMW build the vehicle w/ a factory-installed trailer hitch.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts