BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I decided, "Winter's over! Bust out the Pilots!" and I swapped on my M68's. After gleaming for a full day I just now see that I've embedded a screw in the right-most tread block on the tire. You know what that means... most likely a tire replacement is in order. :cry: :cry:

It's times like these that I wish I still had my winters on... this happened today too, on my way to lunch when I drove through what seemed to be a safe "light construction" area.

Thankfully the full-size spare will replace it. I just hope I don't have to buy a new tire (~$200!).

·
desmoquattro addict
55 Posts
i feel your pain

I used to be a project manager for a construction firm, and in 5 years on the job I probably ran over 12 screws on construction sites, no matter how careful I was. Funny how it was always screws...never nails, glass, or metal scraps. :)

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
webguy330i said:
So yesterday I decided, "Winter's over! Bust out the Pilots!" and I swapped on my M68's. After gleaming for a full day I just now see that I've embedded a screw in the right-most tread block on the tire. You know what that means... most likely a tire replacement is in order. :cry: :cry:

It's times like these that I wish I still had my winters on... this happened today too, on my way to lunch when I drove through what seemed to be a safe "light construction" area.

Thankfully the full-size spare will replace it. I just hope I don't have to buy a new tire (~$200!).
Thats S__Ks. Doesn't it just kills you tho? After the whole winter, and you get "nailed" the first day out? For safety sake, I would replace the tire. Which tire was it? How many miles on it?

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<sigh>

Well I just got back from the dealership; sure enough, replacement was necessary... and of course the afflicted tire was on the front passenger side, not the driver side like the spare was mounted for (these are directional tires don't forget) so I had them dismount/remount the spare in the proper direction and I ordered a new tire ($190!) from tirerack. NO ONE in town had Pilot Sports in stock, all special order. And they all wanted $230+ (+tax even!) so I guess I made out ok.

Nothing more irritating!!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
webguy330i said:
<sigh>

Well I just got back from the dealership; sure enough, replacement was necessary... and of course the afflicted tire was on the front passenger side, not the driver side like the spare was mounted for (these are directional tires don't forget) so I had them dismount/remount the spare in the proper direction and I ordered a new tire ($190!) from tirerack. NO ONE in town had Pilot Sports in stock, all special order. And they all wanted $230+ (+tax even!) so I guess I made out ok.

Nothing more irritating!!
Yeah, those Pilots aren't cheap...but even with shipping, the 'Rack is cheaper than the local tire shop.

My guess is, and I'm assuming the spare is a new tire, you may experience a tad of vibration, until you get the other new tire on the other side to match tread depth. no big deal.

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
geomax said:

Yeah, those Pilots aren't cheap...but even with shipping, the 'Rack is cheaper than the local tire shop.

My guess is, and I'm assuming the spare is a new tire, you may experience a tad of vibration, until you get the other new tire on the other side to match tread depth. no big deal.
Hehe, you're right on. Doing about 65-85 on the highway I noticed the wheel would wobble about 1/8" each way, which is so minimal I barely could tell but yes it's there. Nothing a few autocross sessions can't fix! =)

The sad thing is that I'm gonna need 2 new rears within a matter of months, and that's gonna be about $500. =(

·
10,856 Posts
Better than what I have... I went through a construction zone a few weeks ago, and I STILL haven't gotten the tar off. ALL around the wheel wells is COATED, the side doors and panels are splattered and the rear is also splattered.

I think I'm going to have to get it detailed. I hope they can get this crap off. :(

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nick did you try Goo-Gone? Or just plain ol' Gasoline? It'll strip the wax but it won't damage the finish itself. Just make sure you flip the cloth often.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
On my old car I once had a string of 3 screws in 3 different tires within a couple of months. I swear someone was dumping them deliberately on the expressway. :confused:

·
Head-In-Sand Dumbass
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ObD said:
On my old car I once had a string of 3 screws in 3 different tires within a couple of months. I swear someone was dumping them deliberately on the expressway. :confused:
It's all part of a government-backed conspiracy!! :eeps: ;)

(just kidding; seriously I like your POV)

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
I went through something similiar when my car had about 7000 or 8000 miles but I had taken a chunk out of the tire and had no choice but to replace it.

I ended up replacing both rear tires because I didn't want uneven wear and I kept the good tire in case I needed it again in the future.

I paid $500 for 2 Pilot's (245/35/17) mounted and balanced

Sorry to hear what happened.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.