Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
This is the Cubs year)
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
% of how HS kids are spending their time.

Just for your infomation. I polled my classes of which I have about 120 kids.

Question 1
How many hours a week do you watch TV?

avg 12.1 median 10

Question 2
How many hours a week do you play video games?

avg 9.3 median 7.8

Question 3

What % of kids at this HS smoke marijuana 1x per week?

avg 82%

Question 4
What % of kids at this HS use a drug harder than marijuana?

avg 27%

Question 5
What % of kids at this HS use alcohol 1x per week?

avg 94%

High School of 2400 students is in Riverside County in Southern California.

45% white
40% hispanic
10% black
5% other

Obviously these aren't what you would find everywhere in the US. I'm naive when it comes to drugs and alcohol but it let's you know how common this stuff is.

·
•••••••
16,118 Posts
Aren't "average" and "mean" the same thing? Did you mean "median?" :dunno:

·
The King of Common Sense
2,142 Posts
My children went through HS within the last 4 years, and every year I host HS exchange students, so I do get involved with HS and the kids in high schools. My opinion is that the survey is flawed. What kids do depend very much on which groups they associate with.

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
Plaz said:
Aren't "average" and "mean" the same thing? Did you mean "median?" :dunno:
Did you average "median"? :p Boy, I love the English language. Still, :stupid:

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Alot of kids will embellish polls of such, as to be "cool" in their minds, or to "shock" the poll taker. Remember, alot of kids are going through a cycle of identity crisis at that age.

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
I've already told my oldest son that if he wants to try to smoke a cigarette, do it with me. (I'll make him inhale until he pukes ;) ) I also said to have his first beer with me when he's ready, regardless of age, and I'll talk about how one should always drink responsibly and moderation is the best policy. ;)

·
Brilliant!
9,932 Posts
I find the answers to questions 3 and 5 to be hard to believe. 94% drink EVERY week? 82% smoke pot EVERY week? That would surprise me. I could almost believe that those percentages do it occasionally but even that sounds high.

I think the average time that they say they are watching TV and playing video games is low. A teen could easily watch that much TV and play that much video in one sitting.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Mike 325xi said:
I find the answers to questions 3 and 5 to be hard to believe. 94% drink EVERY week? 82% smoke pot EVERY week? That would surprise me. I could almost believe that those percentages do it occasionally but even that sounds high.

I think the average time that they say they are watching TV and playing video games is low. A teen could easily watch that much TV and play that much video in one sitting.
I don't see why some of you would repute these findings. I graduated from a HS about 45 mins from Riverside, 14 years ago, and I would say the numbers are pretty much on par with my school.
Yes, 94% have at least one alcoholic drink per week. A beer on Friday. Peppermint schnapps in your hot cocoa in the morning out in the parking lot (uh...I am told...)...It's easily believable.

·
The King of Common Sense
2,142 Posts
Mike 325xi said:

Your're talking Riverside, CA. The area is for "pioneers" who couldn't afford Orange Co, and they kept moving further from the city to where homes became affortable. Yes, it's still expensive compared to the rest of the country.

·
This is the Cubs year)
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The poll was anonymous and I tabulated the results and yes I corrected the mean which was intended as the median. I have the mode but I think that is worthless for this example.

·
This is the Cubs year)
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The poll was anonymous and I tabulated the results and yes I corrected the mean which was intended as the median. I have the mode but I think that is worthless for this example.

I agree that the survey isn't a snapshot of the country but more regional certainly. When I went to catholic HS in Chicago I drank 1x and never smoked and none of my friends did either. So there are opposites to the school I teach at for sure.

·
The King of Common Sense
2,142 Posts
schley said:

I agree that the survey isn't a snapshot of the country but more regional certainly. When I went to catholic HS in Chicago I drank 1x and never smoked and none of my friends did either. So there are opposites to the school I teach at for sure.
They pay teachers enough to afford a 330i?:D The poll is probably a joke on the teacher.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It's hard to project what the rest of a HS does as opposed to what you do. If you had polled me in HS I would have probably answered very similarly to these results. I would have projected that the rest of my HS did what I was doing every weekend when, in fact, that is probably no where near reality. The school has 2400 in it. It is very hard to know what people outside of your extended group of friends is really doing.

·
Brilliant!
9,932 Posts
BMW~NYY said:
It's hard to project what the rest of a HS does as opposed to what you do. If you had polled me in HS I would have probably answered very similarly to these results. I would have projected that the rest of my HS did what I was doing every weekend when, in fact, that is probably no where near reality. The school has 2400 in it. It is very hard to know what people outside of your extended group of friends is really doing.
I'm pretty sure he is a teacher, not a student.

·
I hate doing dishes
2,999 Posts
Ripsnort said:
I've already told my oldest son that if he wants to try to smoke a cigarette, do it with me. (I'll make him inhale until he pukes ;) ) I also said to have his first beer with me when he's ready, regardless of age, and I'll talk about how one should always drink responsibly and moderation is the best policy. ;)
That's cool Dave. I hope he takes your advice. Sounds like he has a great Dad.:thumbup:

·
Needs more cowbell
4,516 Posts
schley said:
% of how HS kids are spending their time.

Just for your infomation. I polled my classes of which I have about 120 kids.
You forgot this one. I'm providing the obvious answer:

Question 6

I lied on this test in at least one answer, just so I'd look cooler

100%

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Ishniknork said:
That's cool Dave. I hope he takes your advice. Sounds like he has a great Dad.:thumbup:
I've heard rumor that Dave is indeed their father...now how to I go about collecting alimony?

·
The King of Common Sense
2,142 Posts
Ishniknork said:
U're referring to Rip, right?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts