Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering how many master keys are supposed to come with a certified series car.
The dealer is trying to convince me that there is only 1, but according to the certified series checklist there should be 2.

Anyone have a number for BMW customer service in Canada?

·
Registered
145 Posts
You should get two masters, a valet, and an "emergency" key. That is what comes with new cars and I can't see why it wouldn't hold true for Certified cars.... A replacement master is $$$$ so hold them to this one.....

·
Registered
738 Posts
junglee said:
I am wondering how many master keys are supposed to come with a certified series car.
The dealer is trying to convince me that there is only 1, but according to the certified series checklist there should be 2.

Anyone have a number for BMW customer service in Canada?
It is a requirement of the Certified Preowned program that the vehicle be delivered with two master keys. The remote master keys are approximately $140 each. If they are missing or damaged, the dealer must provide new ones. I don't recall there being any requirement for the dealer to give you any additional keys (valet, plastic spare, etc)

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
I have no idea about what you're supposed to get with a CPO.

Re: master keys...when I bought my wagon, the sales guy told me that there are eight master keys made for each car. Two go out with the car to the dealer when new. If you lose a key, or want another one, the dealer must order it and the customer cost is ~$200 per key. They make eight in the hopes that the car won't need more than that in its lifetime. If you go through the eight keys and need more, then the car needs to get rekeyed at a rather significant expense.

The long term implications of this are rather frightening. Imagine a 15 year old car on its fifth owner. The last of the eight keys turns up missing. A car worth $3,000 (rather optimistic) needs to be rekeyed at a cost of $1,500 (speculative).

Then again, maybe the sales guy was bullshitting me?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Weird that the sales guy would try to convince me that I only get 1 master....Actually I'm not surprised it's been 2 months since I got the car and I have yet to see the master keys....
:mad:
I went in yesterday and he had 1 master cut for me.....and it too was muffed up...got the VIN number wrong..:tsk:
I enquired about the second master and he tried to convince me that you only get 1 with certified series...
They are going to put a rush order (after 2 months of wait) and they'd better cut 2 master's for me .....:banghead:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts