·
zeddy
7,668 Posts
Go Andy :thumbup:

Ed

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Lesson learned today… my car in STX is NOT a ProSolo car!! My 60 foot times are 2.2 seconds… Tom Hoppe and Ron Baurer’s 60 foot times are 1.8!! :yikes: Sixty foot into the course and I am already 4/10th behind. I am getting my ars kicked!!

I was sitting in 2nd after the first session with Baurer in 1st. Hoppe cleans up his runs in the afternoon session and is now in 1st. Baurer is less then a tenth behind Hoppe. I am now in 3rd 9/10ths behind Baurer. Phile Croy is about 4/10ths behind me in 4th. I’ll be lucky to hold onto 3rd!!

Wish me luck tomorrow… I’m hoping just to hold onto 3rd at this point!!

PS – Tunnell decided to drive TC Kline’s new M3 ZCP in ASP. TC is driving it in SM2 just to get SM2 points.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Any idea of what's happening in B Stock?

You'll get it together tomorrow Andy. For your first Pro, you ain't doing too bad, regardless of car.

·
Living on the redline
27,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, those bozo's can't even post the results correctly, what a joke, now you know why I'm not running this year, I'll just have to do without a first place key fob trophy :rolleyes:

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Andy came in a not too distant 3rd in STX. WTG, Andy! :thumbup:

·
Living on the redline
27,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dayammmm boyeeeeeee :yikes: :thumbup:

·
zeddy
7,668 Posts
I was looking through some earlier threads with some of you guys, Clyde, Andy etc., and was quite impressed with the gains you've made over the last couple of years.

It's good to read about the early "mistakes" as it gives all of us new guys encouragement.

Good job :thumbup:

Ed

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Thanks guys!! :thumbup:

My goal for Sunday was to hold onto 3rd place but to shorten the distance between myself and the leaders. On Sunday, my first left course time and my first right course time absolutely sucked!! I was over driving on cold tires. I only had one more run left on each course I had to make it count. My plan was to drive aggressive, but to take a new line… I was going to cut distance everywhere that I could. Yeah, that was going to hurt my momentum a little, but there was so much rubber laid down on the inside of these turns I figured the grip plus the shorter distance would improve my times. Man, I tell you what, I know there is no such thing as a perfect run, but on both of those runs, I hit all my marks, drove aggressively, cut distance and it all paid off. My last left course time and my last right course time were my best runs for the entire weekend.

Yeah, I would have loved to of placed 1st or 2nd, but getting that close to the leaders knowing I have to make up 8/10ths right off that bat (4/10ths + 4/10ths from the 60 foot time on each side)… I was tickled to death!!

They even held my car in impound because I was in the top 40 drivers to make the Super Challenge. However they only take 32 drivers, I must have been somewhere between 33 and 40 because I didn’t make it. Oh well, it was fun just thinking that I could have made it… maybe next time.

Thanks again!! :)

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
EdCT said:
I was looking through some earlier threads with some of you guys, Clyde, Andy etc., and was quite impressed with the gains you've made over the last couple of years.

It's good to read about the early "mistakes" as it gives all of us new guys encouragement.

Good job :thumbup:

Ed
I was looking through some of those early threads (especially the ones from 2002 and 2003) a couple weeks ago. The volume of misinformation contained in there (a lot of it contributed by me) is mind boggling now that most of us suck a little bit less. The one real truism that I think can be applied from it is that focusing on the driver, experience and seat time are the real keys.

Andy picked up on it a lot faster than most of us. His motocross background surely helps him, but I think that he's applied himself very well to impriving and refining his driving and that's paying dividends. Now if only if the same could be said for his set up skills... :bigpimp:

(like mine are any better :eek: )

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I look back on some of those threads, especially the ones I started when I first got involved with the sport and I laugh my ars off!! … actually, it’s almost embarrassing, but I am able to laugh at myself, so it’s all good.

Clyde, I couldn’t agree with you more. It really is all about the driver. If people spent the same amount of money on Evolution schools that they spend on modding their car, we’d have a lot more national level drivers out there, that’s for sure.

I think it’s important for people to learn something new (no matter how big or small) after every event and apply it moving forward. That has really helped me to fine tune my skills.

The # 1 thing I learned from the Atlanta National Tour… no matter how good you think you are at heel-toe, downshifting and upshifting… downshifting into 1st going into a tight corner looses more momentum and time then you might realize. You may feel faster because of the acceleration you get out of the corner, but in reality 90% of the time it’s going to be slower then if you would have just carried 2nd gear through the corner. There was a tight corner like this on Saturday’s course. On all three of my runs I would drive hard into the corner, perform a near perfect heel-toe, downshift to 1st, be smooth on the gas coming out of the corner and then powershift into 2nd and head down the log straight into the sweeper. After the event I was talking with Jack Burns (who won DS that weekend in a 330Ci). Jack has been doing this for 15-20 years and was not going into 1st gear for that corner. He told me it looked as if I was losing a lot of momentum in that corner and was probably giving up a few 10ths in that one corner. Those few 10ths cost me a second place finish!! Lesson learned… when walking the course and I look at a corner and can’t decide whether or not it will be faster to downshift into 1st… STAY IN 2ND!!

The # 1 thing I learned from the Atlanta ProSolo… when looking at a section of the course and trying to determine if it would be better to go a little wider, carry more speed and setup for the next turn better or… cut distance by staying tight to the cones, even if it means the next turn would be a little tighter/slower. Cutting distance will be faster 90% of the time. Always use the “tight” line as your default. Especially on long sweepers!!

Those two things that I learned from last week, I will now implement moving forward and will hopefully pay off with better times.

At every event, learn and then implement moving forward, otherwise your seat time is done in vain.

·
zeddy
7,668 Posts
·clyde· said:
The one real truism that I think can be applied from it is that focusing on the driver, experience and seat time are the real keys.
The first time I took a Skip Barber course, the instructors would drive you around the course in stock Dodge Neons; it was amazing what they could do with these cars, an eye-opener, really.

Naturally, these same guys behind the wheel of the Vipers were even more impressive (much more :) ), but the lesson was forever etched in my mind.

Without getting off on too much of a tangent, it's the same thing with musicians, I'm constantly impressed with what talented musicians can do with modest equipment.

Ed

·
Living on the redline
27,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The course must of really sucked. The Super Stock Z06's ran the whole thing in 1st gear :eek: I never once saw an all 1st gear course in the two years I ran one :thumbdwn: :tsk:

·
Living on the redline
27,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Andy said:
The # 1 thing I learned from the Atlanta ProSolo… when looking at a section of the course and trying to determine if it would be better to go a little wider, carry more speed and setup for the next turn better or… cut distance by staying tight to the cones, even if it means the next turn would be a little tighter/slower. Cutting distance will be faster 90% of the time. Always use the "tight" line as your default. Especially on long sweepers!!
he's already and trouble and doesn't even know it ... :eek:

:p

·
Registered
75 Posts
Andy said:
The # 1 thing I learned from the Atlanta National Tour… no matter how good you think you are at heel-toe, downshifting and upshifting… downshifting into 1st going into a tight corner looses more momentum and time then you might realize. You may feel faster because of the acceleration you get out of the corner, but in reality 90% of the time it's going to be slower then if you would have just carried 2nd gear through the corner.
FWIW, one of the pearls of wisdom Carl McGinn dispenses to us west-coast track fools is: if a turn gives you a choice betwen two gears, the higher gear is usually faster. Obviously, you've already figured it out, but I thought I'd pass it along (i) as a reality check for you, and (ii) to add that it's true on the track as well.

btw, good job!

Lee

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
TeamM3 said:
he's already and trouble and doesn't even know it ... :eek:

:p
I don't understand what you mean… are you saying you agree or disagree. :dunno:

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Andy said:
I don't understand what you mean… are you saying you agree or disagree. :dunno:
I think he's saying that the Texas sun is baking his brain so early in the season. :confused:

·
Living on the redline
27,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm saying that generalities followed blindly lead to many dead ends

1 - 20 of 34 Posts