BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suffice it to say that:

A) Houston, and the surrounding environs are not full of canyons, twisties and otherwise challenging roads.

B) Co-existing on this forum with the folks that get to traverse the Pacific Coast Highway, Mt. Washington and Rocky Mountain National Park at their whim tends to give a girl, (hmmm....) Road Envy.

So......... with that in mind, my mission was to make a Saturday evening dining experience an adventure!

The Mission:
1) Pick a pleasurable restaurant.
2) Map destination from home.
3) Call friends to join the fun.

The Plan:
1) Said Restaurant "Karl's at the Riverbend" -- Swiss Cuisine-- is 13.6 miles from home
2) Goal: map a route which TO the restaurant effectively doubles the mileage.
3) Request the guys ride in the back (only feasible with the top down)

The Result:
1) Mapped a route which effective doubled the mileage and included a few really fun curves
2) Discovered that the back seat experience is quiet, wind free and fun
3) We girls, had fun!

What I've discovered about my little 3er is that:
1) Even though it is the "baby Huey" of the lineup it is still a lot of fun...
2) Top down, it is extremely wind free and quiet for back seat passengers (providing they fit!:))
3) Girls just want to have fun!

Feel Free to post your favorite extended distance fun experiences!

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
13,568 Posts
Several months ago I read an ecstatic 4 star restaurant review (unheard of) in my local paper, confirmed as wonderful by Zagat, calling the chef-owner the "best in Florida" with prices to match. Best of all, it was only 57 miles from home; my kind of place and reservations were not necessary.
Fine. Spur of the moment. Grabbed the willing wife and set off. Couldn't avoid the rush hour traffic-so it took a good hour and a half. One busy street we were pinned into the right lane running over manhole cover after manhole cover. I thought my right wheel was coming off as the jolts were becoming unbearable, though unavoidable. There was no damage. We finally pull into the parking lot, excited at the prospect of a very special meal. We get out and I notice the restaurant lighting is so low it practically appears to be off..... and indeed off it was! The great owner/chef was in Barbados opening another restaurant! Since reservations weren't necessary, I didn't call! However, we dined at Mitchell's Fish Market (an upscale national chain), an old favorite of ours that was on the way back home and had a very decent meal.

Mission accomplished: I got to drive my 328i almost 120 miles! :)

PS: Our roads in Florida are mostly boring. I go for pure distance.

·
about the mini part....
1,085 Posts
Suffice it to say that:

A) Houston, and the surrounding environs are not full of canyons, twisties and otherwise challenging roads.

B) Co-existing on this forum with the folks that get to traverse the Pacific Coast Highway, Mt. Washington and Rocky Mountain National Park at their whim tends to give a girl, (hmmm....) Road Envy.

So......... with that in mind, my mission was to make a Saturday evening dining experience an adventure!

The Mission:
1) Pick a pleasurable restaurant.
2) Map destination from home.
3) Call friends to join the fun.

The Plan:
1) Said Restaurant "Karl's at the Riverbend" -- Swiss Cuisine-- is 13.6 miles from home
2) Goal: map a route which TO the restaurant effectively doubles the mileage.
3) Request the guys ride in the back (only feasible with the top down)

The Result:
1) Mapped a route which effective doubled the mileage and included a few really fun curves
2) Discovered that the back seat experience is quiet, wind free and fun
3) We girls, had fun!

What I've discovered about my little 3er is that:
1) Even though it is the "baby Huey" of the lineup it is still a lot of fun...
2) Top down, it is extremely wind free and quiet for back seat passengers (providing they fit!:))
3) Girls just want to have fun!

Feel Free to post your favorite extended distance fun experiences!
I use to live a few minutes from that place.

If you're up for a little drive one weekend take this route in the late afternoon. It's the route I take when I go see my Grandparents on the way to see my parents. There is never anyone on it and no cops, so you can go as fast as you want. Wallis has a few nice old houses and buildings featuring old advertisements on the side of buildings, kind of a cool for a few pictures. It is worth a few minutes if you are into those types of things. Once you get into Eagle Lake, that little stretch between it and Garwood is fun and makes the trip worth it*. Once again if you are into it, there's a few old houses in Eagle Lake to drive past and look at. If you keep driving past Garwood to go on to El Campo, go downtown, there's some nice little shops and cafes or at least there use to be a few years ago.

FYI Part of route between Simonton and Wallis is under construction.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...877,-95.763788&spn=0.023336,0.055704&t=h&z=14

*- My opinion :)

·
Stuck in Monday
2,766 Posts
I use to live a few minutes from that place.

If you're up for a little drive one weekend take this route in the late afternoon. It's the route I take when I go see my Grandparents on the way to see my parents. There is never anyone on it and no cops, so you can go as fast as you want. Wallis has a few nice old houses and buildings featuring old advertisements on the side of buildings, kind of a cool for a few pictures. It is worth a few minutes if you are into those types of things. Once you get into Eagle Lake, that little stretch between it and Garwood is fun and makes the trip worth it*. Once again if you are into it, there's a few old houses in Eagle Lake to drive past and look at. If you keep driving past Garwood to go on to El Campo, go downtown, there's some nice little shops and cafes or at least there use to be a few years ago.

FYI Part of route between Simonton and Wallis is under construction.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...877,-95.763788&spn=0.023336,0.055704&t=h&z=14

*- My opinion :)
Just watch out for bikers (like me) on the weekend! There are some fun roads around there (my wife's grandparents live out there as well).

Nordic Kat, be sure to try Karl's for Sunday brunch sometime, if you haven't already. It's excellent.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just watch out for bikers (like me) on the weekend! There are some fun roads around there (my wife's grandparents live out there as well).

Nordic Kat, be sure to try Karl's for Sunday brunch sometime, if you haven't already. It's excellent.
Yes it is!;)

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
435 miles from South Bay BMW in Torrance, CA to San Mateo, CA on CA 1 to Santa Cruz, then CA 17 to CA 85, then CA 85 to I-280. My road trip home after picking up my 335d that took what seemed like forever+1 day to arrive from Deutschland. Big Sur & Monterey is always beautiful. Next road trip is to go North on CA 1 up to the Oregon border.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts