Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was carefull too. I had the whole cardboard thing going and labels. Somehow, I ended up with 2 bolts left. I cant figure it out. I am slightly worried. I removed the VC and DISA...along with everything required to get there like all the plastic air ducts leading to the MAF and TB and all that.

Do these look familiar to anyone? Im an idiot!!!!

Attachments

·
Anti-Hack
4,906 Posts
I was carefull too. I had the whole cardboard thing going and labels. Somehow, I ended up with 2 bolts left. I cant figure it out. I am slightly worried. I removed the VC and DISA...along with everything required to get there like all the plastic air ducts leading to the MAF and TB and all that.

Whatever they are, they look like “one-time-use” bolts. If they’re aluminum, they definitely are.

To me they look like the shorter of the three lengths of oil pan bolts.

Double check you replaced ALL VC bolts...the ones on the firewall end are easiest to miss. Feel around for empty holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,468 Posts
The horse has fled the barn and the gate is shut, but, next time, a threaded fastener should / must be threaded into its mate whereever possible and as soon as possible. Yeah, sometimes you can***8217;t but ...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definately the same material and shape as the VC bolts but these are smaller. The pic doesnt show size well, sorry. I used all the new bolts on the VC so Im good there. It almost looks just like the single bolt that holds the eccentric motor in place. I know I put that back plus theres 2 of these. All the bolts from the air intake stuff are those black flat head looking bolts. I never took the TB out. Disa used a different kind of bolt too and those are all in snug. Hopefully these were to something non essential lol.

·
Anti-Hack
4,906 Posts
Hopefully these were to something non essential lol.

Don’t count on it lol. I wouldn’t move the car until their location is found.

Did you happen to have to replace any bolts, and these are old ones?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I solved half of the problem. I looked everywhere in this engine and cannot find missing bolts to anything. I figured I'd better watch the video on YT I watched that walked me through the VC replacement. I noticed in the video that the bolts that hold the eccentric valve in place are these aluminum kind. These two bolts are it. Im pretty sure. I somehow put the wrong bolts in their place. They fit perfect and the motor doesnt budge at all. I definately put the wrong bolts in. I am now trying to figure out where the two "black" bolts go. Am I asking for trouble leaving those black bolts in the E motor like in the picture below. They feel super tight and snug.

Attachments

·
Banned
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
3,509 Posts
The horse has fled the barn and the gate is shut, but, next time, a threaded fastener should / must be threaded into its mate whereever possible and as soon as possible. Yeah, sometimes you can***8217;t but ...
I'm sorry...may I interpret...tell me if I'm right Doug...

"You should have returned (threaded) the bolt to its original place / position as soon as possible, if possible."
How'd I do?

Sent from my SM-G386T using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im changing them now. I only hope I didnt somehow change the thread on the head by using those black bolts on accident. If I take them out and cant get the aluminum ones back in Im in deep doo doo.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,468 Posts
As you disassemble, put the screws back where they came from so that there can be no mistake on reassembly.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
On a big job, especially first time, I'll Baggie each fastener,measure diameter and length with a vernier, write info in Bentley, index info on Baggie add gator index on Baggie.

The time I've spent doing this has been recovered many time in not staring at leftover or missing fasteners.

Pictures of everything,too.

It's even more time saving when Bentleysaysremove two fasteners, and there are four, and you have noted that.

They happened during My X3 HVAK. job

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Black bolts, if far too long, may have come from the front air intake.

Did you remember to put the very-difficult bolt back in on the lower bracket-to-VC mount for the actuator motor? It is of the same type as the two that mount the motor to the head through the VC.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I checked all the intake plastics. I checked everything around the VC. I checked the cabin air box and all that plastic. Crossbar uses big bolts. When I took off the DISA and had to take all the intake boot off and all that down to the TB. I remember there being some hoses that I think contained electrical or something and there was like a "slide on" clip that one of those hoses anchored to. I dont think there was any screws on that stuff though. I did take the battery out of the back but theres no screws in that area for that I dont think. Even though I took the airbox back off and all that plastic to check, I didnt see anything. Im just going to move on and press my luck at this point. The vonos just push in and its a bigger hex bolt that holds them in place right? Those are in there fine.

·
Banned
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
3,509 Posts

those bolts look like the bolts I came across in repairing/replacing the actuator motor and the starter...the starter's were longer if I recall. Of course you would be no where near these components doing your job.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
461 Posts
Those black bolts look like they***8217;re for the bracket on the rear left of the valve cover. The bracket is used to hold down the engine cover.

OR

They are for the valvetronic motor gasket.

Those 2 bolts in your original post are for the valvetronic motor. There should be 3 of them in total, size E8 or E10 socket I think.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
No mechanic worth his salt completes a job without leftover parts!
Umm ... that's the opposite of what I learned on the job. :confused:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No mechanic worth his salt completes a job without leftover parts!
since I am not a mechanic....and very humble....I dont take offense. I never claimed to be "worth salt" when it comes to being a mechanic which is why I involve myself here with people that are very good at this. I am certain lots of people who consider themselves very talented in the world of mechanics have also made "human" mistakes doing a job. I am a much better anterior segment surgeon and thankfully, there are no nuts or bolts in lens , tear film, vitreous humor or cornea. Most of my colleagues on my team can barely use a key to open a door on a car but what they can do with a diamond blade is nothing less than god like. I find alot of satisfaction in doing something new or something beyond my current scope or comfort zone....working on the beemer somehow satisfies my need after training surgeons all day. Interesting anecdote..today a patient presented with elevated levels of matrix metalloproteinase 9 which is a biomarker present when epithelial cells are stressed due to various factors including anything from systemic disease to environmental issues.. Think of it like meat tenderizer....there to assist the body in the breakdown of damaged tissue to essentially allow "life" to rebuild. I was able to catch a specific symptom on a previous OSDI sheet then run whats called an ID test and found elevated levels above whats typically accepted...which means her current treatment of cyclosporine quite frankly wasnt working. I saved her hundreds of dollars in medications that could never been effective and maybe her sight long term. But, I swapped a couple bolts on the car and not afraid I admit, Im no mechanic.

·
Anti-Hack
4,906 Posts
since I am not a mechanic....and very humble....I dont take offense. I never claimed to be "worth salt" when it comes to being a mechanic which is why I involve myself here with people that are very good at this. I am certain lots of people who consider themselves very talented in the world of mechanics have also made "human" mistakes doing a job. I am a much better anterior segment surgeon and thankfully, there are no nuts or bolts in lens , tear film, vitreous humor or cornea. Most of my colleagues on my team can barely use a key to open a door on a car but what they can do with a diamond blade is nothing less than god like. I find alot of satisfaction in doing something new or something beyond my current scope or comfort zone....working on the beemer somehow satisfies my need after training surgeons all day. Interesting anecdote..today a patient presented with elevated levels of matrix metalloproteinase 9 which is a biomarker present when epithelial cells are stressed due to various factors including anything from systemic disease to environmental issues.. Think of it like meat tenderizer....there to assist the body in the breakdown of damaged tissue to essentially allow "life" to rebuild. I was able to catch a specific symptom on a previous OSDI sheet then run whats called an ID test and found elevated levels above whats typically accepted...which means her current treatment of cyclosporine quite frankly wasnt working. I saved her hundreds of dollars in medications that could never been effective and maybe her sight long term. But, I swapped a couple bolts on the car and not afraid I admit, Im no mechanic.

Reread his statement. It seems to be in jest, and complimentary to you, as long as we can take words on the internet at face value.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts