BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
M status achieved!
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so my Guibo is basically shot. Classic thump thump sound, visible cracks, etc etc. I plan on also replacing the center driveshaft support and bearing while I have it all down , it just makes sense to do it. So, with that being said, does anyone know if the Guibo bolts are reusable or if i will need 6 new ones? They "should" be reusable, but not so sure..........

·
M status achieved!
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Pics!

Well guys... Ella's down for a bit till i can get my hands on a new guibo and hardware.. (yes, it's recommended to be replaced) here's some pics of the Guibo carnage...

Poor Ella.... But on the plus side, i get to remove a lot of parts and do some cleaning, plus some replacing. i'm also gonna do the center support and the tranny mounts at the same time.....

·
M status achieved!
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Indeed! I was going to drive her into work yesterday too when something told me not to. I was underneath looking into the rear sway bar mount reinforcements when I decided to take a peak at the Guibo... Thank god I didn't drive her to work!

·
M status achieved!
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
BTW, I did NOT have typical bad Guibo symptoms. I've read that you get vibration under load, mostly in first and second gear, also that you hear clunks, etc. I had NONE of that at all.

My only symptom was that it felt and sounded like I had a tire that was off balance, bent wheel, or a bubble in the tire. You know, a steady thump thump thump sound, even in neutral. Good idea guys, check your Guibo!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just finished replacing the clutch in my 328 and while we had it apart we also replaced the Guibo. We ended up using the bolts again because there was no damage to them (even though what we read said to replace them). Hopefully there will be no problems with them.

·
M status achieved!
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm in the process of replacing everything right now. I wasn't going to replace the center support, but I went on the side of better judgement and did anyway. It's about a 4-5 hour job done the correct way and making sure everything is done right. I also replaced my Tranny mounts with UUC red/street mounts, and replaced my shift bushings too. I was under my car all day yesterday (about 12 hours) cleaning, torquing, and generally wrenching away. I could literally eat off the underside of my car now, and everything I could fix while I was under there, got fixed. So tonight, I get to reinstall the exhaust (wish I had that OBDII midpipe at this point) and take her for a ride!

Oh, and I replaced the bolts AND the nuts. Most say you only need to replace the nuts because they are 1 time use lock nuts. I replaced them all because i stepped up from 12 mm 8.8 to 12mm 10.9 like in the M3. Just made sense.

·
M status achieved!
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jason, did you find the source of the oil leak?
Well, I have multiple. The oil pan has a slight leak. Re torqued the bolts and we'll see about that one. I can live with a few drips instead of tearing out the whole front suspension. most of the leak was from before I changed the valve cover gasket. All that oil had the "dry" look of age. But, there was one major offender and that was the selector rod seal. Replaced that while I was under there too. Hopefully that will curb 90% of the leaks. I never left spots, but I don't want the underside of my car getting covered with oil either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Jcrow,
How long did that clutch job take you? Was it a pain or not too bad?

Jason, did you find the source of the oil leak?
My dad and I did it. It took us about a week off and on (more on then off) to complete the job. I think that the longest part was pulling the transmission out and then putting it back on. Like everyone else says, its a PITA! My dad had replaced the clutch in two, 5 series before but this was his first 3 series. The biggest problem was not enough clearance under the car, even though we had it up. The step-by-step guides on Pelican Parts was helpful. The only thing was that it had a picture of a 318 transmission with all the bolts marked (there were 12) and my 328 only has 9 bolts. That made things a little crazy. We had to look at the specs sheet to get the exact number. Now that its back together its running like a champ!

·
M status achieved!
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tranny work is an absolute pita if you dont have the car lifted and level.
+1

i use 2 sets of truck ramps. They are about 8 inches taller than car ones, and I had to drive my BMW onto sone 2 X 6 "ramps" to get the fronts on, then I used the floor jack to jack up the rear by the diff. Just make sure you put the ramps like \ / not \ \ so that the car can't roll anywhere no matter what.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Thanks. I think you mad eup my mind to pay when my clutch goes out!

Good luck with the leak hunt Jason...Didn't look too bad, was just wondering where she was leaking from...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts