BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Alpina Addict
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been lurking for quite a while in this forum. But what I did today made me finally register here: I've signed the (partial) leasing contract for a new 2007 650i Coupe!

Why on earth lurking and signing up here as a Swiss (not Swedish, please!) guy? For whatever reason, I found out that much more is going on here than on some german BMW forums, where people are mainly debating if BMW should offer a Diesel engine for THIS car... :eek:
There's simply more car enthusiasm here! :thumbup:

A rather stunning aspect of ordering a new 6er are the very different country specific equipment option lists - it's not only a major difference between the US and Europe, but also even i.e. between Switzerland and Germany: While as an example we in Switzerland can't delete the heated seats as they're standard equipment, you guys across the pond obviously must take that IMHO not very useful sun-/moonroof (worth around 1500$) while you can't order i.e. the 218 style wheels, the factory tinted windows or the anthracite ceiling color... go figure :dunno:

In short what I've ordered: SMG, silver gray with chateau leather interior (with black mats and anthracite ceiling, also thinking about AC Schnitzer pedals), 218 wheels, chrome line finish. Quite loaded with options, excepted: Active Cruise Control, Night Vision (I'm not James Bond), Sunroof (power windows and A/C are more than sufficient here), adaptive headlights, and a few other IMHO rather awkward gadgets like heated steering wheel, voice activation or that strange cupholder.

BTW the production of model year 2007 will start with production week 36. Here the MY2007 changes are minimal: No price increase :p , aux input and the new soft close automatic doors option. I took the plunge as 2007 might be the last model year where the regular 6er is available with SMG: It's supposed to vanish from all regular BMW models (excepted M Series) and being replaced later with some faster shifting new Steptronic gearbox.

I'm still not quite settled on the external silver gray color after having seen HS01's pics of his titanium silver 645Ci with M6 body kits: Does anyone have further 6er pictures in TiAg please?

Also, another 2 questions to the SMG owners, as my test drive car was equipped with a (to me rather disappointing) slushbox:
1.) Is ist true that for upshifting you need to PUSH either steering wheel paddle but PULL the console lever?
2.) Does the clutch engage after you switch the engine off with the console lever NOT in N position?

Damn, already so much text - so that's it for the moment :)

·
///M for Motor Sports!
2,946 Posts
If You Don't Own It...

chuck92103 said:
You want SMG, get an M6. The 650 SMG is a watered down disappointment. :tsk:
:rofl::rofl:Be quite!:rofl::rofl:

Just because you test drove it (an SMG) and did not like means nothing...

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
:p
gbelton said:
:rofl::rofl:Be quite!:rofl::rofl:

Just because you test drove it (an SMG) and did not like means nothing...
:rofl: :rofl: I was just pulling your chain gman. I was not sure if you or BeeWang would smack me first for dogging SMG. :rofl:

You win. :p

·
Alpina Addict
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not another SMG debate

Hey, I did not intend to start a new SMG flamewar :eeps:
Moderator, please help! :D

Of course I'm aware that the M6 supposedly has the much better 7speed SMG III. But the 650i will be my only car - owning more than 1 car is even unusual for families around here. And apart from the even more hurting price tag, a M6 is not what I would consider as your daily driver and/or grocery getter on short distances.

·
///M for Motor Sports!
2,946 Posts
Real Response

Gran Turismo said:
Also, another 2 questions to the SMG owners, as my test drive car was equipped with a (to me rather disappointing) slushbox:

1.) Is ist true that for upshifting you need to PUSH either steering wheel paddle but PULL the console lever?
You can use either paddle shifter to switch gears. The ///M style SMG only allow +/- shifting of its paddle shifters. Just put your 650i in Sport mode and shift gears and you will get the same (Not as fast as SMGIII) but the same quick shift you get in the older ///M SMGII. It's fun, trust a owner who has had more than a 30 minute spin with a SMG-645Ci, SMG-650i, and SMG-M3 styles.

Gran Turismo said:
2.) Does the clutch engage after you switch the engine off with the console lever NOT in N position?
If you are in any gear: R,1,2,3,4,5 or 6, the clutch technically should not be engaged from my understanding of how SMG works when shifting is completed. Turning off the car with the shifter in-gear should act similar to the standard manual. In-gear until you active the car by pressing the breaks which allows you to move the shifter and then the hydrolic clutch mechinism kicks in...

Perhaps our resident expert on Non ///M SMG can articulate this more acurately and in some detail.

Good luck on your color. I vote for Silver Grau!

·
///M for Motor Sports!
2,946 Posts
Not To Worry...

Gran Turismo said:
Hey, I did not intend to start a new SMG flamewar :eeps:
Moderator, please help! :D

Of course I'm aware that the M6 supposedly has the much better 7speed SMG III. But the 650i will be my only car - owning more than 1 car is even unusual for families around here. And apart from the even more hurting price tag, a M6 is not what I would consider as your daily driver and/or grocery getter on short distances.
Chuck92103 knows we love him!!!:rofl: E.g. the happy faces...

If you want the Moderator, he will come, I am sure of that.

No big issues here, calm down, read our history and you will see where we all stand with each other.

Ciao!

·
Banned
6,970 Posts
Gran Turismo said:
Hi all,

I've been lurking for quite a while in this forum. But what I did today made me finally register here: I've signed the (partial) leasing contract for a new 2007 650i Coupe!

Why on earth lurking and signing up here as a Swiss (not Swedish, please!) guy? For whatever reason, I found out that much more is going on here than on some german BMW forums, where people are mainly debating if BMW should offer a Diesel engine for THIS car... :eek:
There's simply more car enthusiasm here! :thumbup:

A rather stunning aspect of ordering a new 6er are the very different country specific equipment option lists - it's not only a major difference between the US and Europe, but also even i.e. between Switzerland and Germany: While as an example we in Switzerland can't delete the heated seats as they're standard equipment, you guys across the pond obviously must take that IMHO not very useful sun-/moonroof (worth around 1500$) while you can't order i.e. the 218 style wheels, the factory tinted windows or the anthracite ceiling color... go figure :dunno:

. . .
Are Sweden and Switzerland different countries? Why didn't anyone ever tell me? Or ask my permission?

I have 2 questions before I give you the thumbs up congratulations.

First, what is a "(partial) leasing contract" as opposed to a lease? Or, did you mean to say you've signed some, but not all, of the papers constituting the lease?

Second, while you state that you are a Swiss (or is that a Swedish?) guy, you write like a Yank. Were you born or educated in the U.S.? The only thing you've written that isn't pure American is your reference to our money: "1500$." You're obviously from the German part of Switzerland - where the banks are, right?

I will assume the responses are on the way, so -

:thumbup: and congratulations.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Gran Turismo said:
All those options plus Individual. WHY can't BMW offer one of it's largest, if not the largest, markets these options! :mad: US auto builders offer so many options it gets to be overload. As US BMW buyers, we have very few. :thumbdwn: :mad:

·
Alpina Addict
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Malibubimmer said:
First, what is a "(partial) leasing contract" as opposed to a lease? Or, did you mean to say you've signed some, but not all, of the papers constituting the lease?
Sorry if I possibly missed the correct term - it just means that I'll pay about 1/3 of the total car price at the beginning of the contract, which of course will considerably reduce the monthly leasing rates based on the other (initially) 2/3.
EDIT: Just learned that the correct english term 'cap reduction payment'
In my current situation this turned out to be the most affordable way for getting that car already now, instead of having to save up and wait for another few years... nobody knows what kind of surprises Mr. Bangle would have ready then!

Malibubimmer said:
Second, while you state that you are a Swiss (or is that a Swedish?) guy, you write like a Yank. Were you born or educated in the U.S.? The only thing you've written that isn't pure American is your reference to our money: "1500$." You're obviously from the German part of Switzerland - where the banks are, right?
Gosh, if you guys would at least confuse us with Swaziland, as the latter sounds much closer to Switzerland than _Sweden_ !?! :D
No, I just happen to work for a major yank IT company, where yank english is considered as company language. German part is correct (although my parents were french speaking), where the headquarters of the major banks are in fact located. Of course I can pass on exchange rate conversions and state prices in CHF, if you really, really prefer... ;)

·
weRe not in kansas anymoR
793 Posts
welcome Gran Turismo and congrats...glad you have found us...

you should look at member cobradav's car, he has a coupe in these exact colors so you can get a better idea...

first mistake you are making is on the moonroof...it is a MUST...the glass roof gives you such a feeling of space that the car feels twice as big inside...i would seriously find a car that has it and sit in it outdoors with both the inside roof open and closed, you will surely agree it is a necessary option...

heated steering wheel is the best option that you cant believe would be luved, once you use it you'll never want another car without it, it really makes a difference, also it makes the steering wheel much thicker for the best grip in your hand...id again sit in one with it and feel the difference, and since the steering wheel is all you really touch in the car, it is very important you make the right decision!!

also, not to disappoint or start a war, but there is a reason that the current version of SMG may be going away...if once you see how its supposed to work, a la SMG III, you may agree that the version in the 6er is not the best choice....it is the most fun however, i just cant live with the delays between shifts....good luck:thumbup:

·
Registered
235 Posts
I agree with m630.

Panoramic moonroof is great.
Heated steering wheel is worthwhile.
Not sure if you plan on getting HUD, but it is awesome.

re:SMG. I do not have much experience beyond several test drives and it gets a :thumbdwn: . The manual gearbox is superb.

Congrats and good luck.

·
Alpina Addict
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Since I've been driving a HUD equipped Pontiac Grand Prix GTP for years (which BTW as a model available only for the North American market is about as exotic here as an Opel in the US...), I've told myself several years ago that I'd never buy another new car without HUD again.

You've basically got a point with the moonroof, and of course I wouldn't mind it at all if it was standard equipment here as well. Even despite of the fact that I had nothing but trouble with the sunroof on my very first car: Seals which never would fit right (leaks), greasing problems, forgot to close it when it started raining on a hot day :eek:uch:, reduced headroom (I'm rather tall), etc.
But for whatever reasons BMW decided to offer the base model MSRP of the 650i about 20% cheaper in the US than here and to additionally include to the US base model a few goodies like moonroof, anti-roll stabilization, voice activation/bluetooth, etc. worth about another 5000$ here as options. :bawling:
Does this make you feel better, BoxBoss?

We've just experienced a very hot and sunny july here, and after having parked the car for a while in the sun, I sometimes would have really preferred a COOLED steering wheel! :D

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Gran Turismo said:
You've basically got a point with the moonroof,
Welcome and congratulations.

Regarding the sun roof, here's another point: in my part of the world Australia, there is A LOT of sun. And the sun roof is perfectly functional when needed if you're not getting the convertible. (You can still get a sun burnt during summer with the sun roof open. I guess sun burnt is a rare feeling in Sweden)?

·
Alpina Addict
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Howzagoinmate...

I'm well aware of the sun conditions in Austria :p :wave: (happens to be my favorite holiday country, I'll be there again soon while my 650i is being built), and I really wonder that those dreaded sunroofs are not prohibited yet down there in accordance to your fair dinkum Slip-Slop-Slap campaign! :rofl:
As a matter of fact I'm really getting easily sunburnt by nature, so for me it's not a rare feeling :( regardless of the prevailing ozone layer. In short, just another good reason for passing on a sunroof.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Gran Turismo said:
Howzagoinmate...

I'm well aware of the sun conditions in Austria :p :wave: (happens to be my favorite holiday country, I'll be there again soon while my 650i is being built), and I really wonder that those dreaded sunroofs are not prohibited yet down there in accordance to your fair dinkum Slip-Slop-Slap campaign! :rofl:
As a matter of fact I'm really getting easily sunburnt by nature, so for me it's not a rare feeling :( regardless of the prevailing ozone layer. In short, just another good reason for passing on a sunroof.
You mean one of your neighbours Austria or Australia? :p

The sun roof is good during the milder seasons such as autumn and spring. I had it opened yesterday - late Winter, a sunny day.

·
Alpina Addict
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
650iOzBoy said:
You mean one of your neighbours Austria or Australia? :p
Oh, that was just my sweet revenge because you've mentioned Sweden above... and next time you're not careful I'll use West Island! :p

·
ex-M couper
1,750 Posts
... If you are in any gear: R,1,2,3,4,5 or 6, the clutch technically should not be engaged from my understanding of how SMG works when shifting is completed.
In that case the car will never move at all! :yikes:
The clutch must be engaged to connect the engine to the transmission.
Think about it.

·
Alpina Addict
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update 2:

Just received a call from the dealer: My 650i has a confirmed order status 193, which here means it's already in the country and probably sitting around at customs for a few days. So BMW is actually ahead of the initially indicated production schedule :)

This means an expected delivery end of next week :clap: :supdude: :fruit: :sabrina: :banana:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.