BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have just recently said "ok deliver it...." to Cavana on a 2018 X5 with 36k miles. As I REALLY don't want to do the whole "10k miles for oil" so I'm going to change it when I get it. I'm getting conflicting everything on what oil to use and how many Qts (or Ls) the 2.0 requires. First question is, how many quarts? (or L I can just do the conversion)
FCP Euro has this kit
5 L
ECS tuning has this kit
7 L
I found different articles that say that it is either 5L or 6.5L (more articles say it is 4.8-5L)
Also, what oil? I have 6qts of Liquid Moly 0W-20, now my driving is going to be turn on, drive 1.5 miles.. turn off (hopefully mostly on the battery) So I was thinking the 0W would be best for an engine that was mostly going to be a generator when I can't find a wall socket.
And finally. Anything I should look out for in a 3 year old 36k mile X5 40e? I know the turn signal bulbs will be brand new so I won't have to check those.

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
Our X3's .2.0 liter engine takes 5.3 liters.

Edycol, the resident oil expert, doesn't like BMW LL14FE+ or LL17 FE+ 0W-20. The LL-01FE 0W-30 is less viscous than the LL-01 5W-30 at high temperature. The LL-01 is almost a 5W-40.

Elycol says there's an issue with timing chains and 0W-20. We put 147k miles on a Honda V6 with 5W-20 synthetic, and it ran like a new engine when we sold it. But, it had a timing belt instead of a lubricated chain. It's well past 200k mile with the next owner.

·
Registered
13,462 Posts
We put 147k miles on a Honda V6 with 5W-20 synthetic, and it ran like a new engine when we sold it. But, it had a timing belt instead of a lubricated chain. It's well past 200k mile with the next owner.
That by itself gave you the answer. :)

My take of N20/N26 TC issue is that the 0 and 20/30 of LL01FE/LL17FE help in both ends(cold start and cruising in high-temp therm efficiency).

With F30 N20/N26, at 3400+lb, 0-60 5.8 seconds seldom needs to rev above 4-5krpm, while ECU limits oil/coolant temperature to below 205F. While [email protected] at 8th around 2.5kprm, oil temp may hit 227.5F, but engine is also hardly puffing.

That is how these I4 turbos are setup, namely, quick shifts and quick spools and low revs with no fuzz and no puff, and 0w20/0w30 helps with that.

Now when some owners try to rev these I4 above 5kpm(like old school I6 N/A with surging power band) in spirited driving/WOT/track use, with high oil temp(say above 227.5F), that is when 0w20 and 0w30 become problematic.

So one needs to understand the tools at hand, and use them accordingly.

BTW, many on this forum in PZEV states with N26 engine have 15 yrs/150k miles coverage on turbo, and TC(e.g. 2016). My 2013 N26 does not have TC listed as covered, but a CEL from camshaft sensor error is covered, so BMWNA will need to step up if my non-track usage with 0w20/0w30 goes busted. :)

·
Registered
13,462 Posts
I found different articles that say that it is either 5L or 6.5L (more articles say it is 4.8-5L)
Also, what oil? I have 6qts of Liquid Moly 0W-20, now my driving is going to be turn on, drive 1.5 miles.. turn off (hopefully mostly on the battery) So I was thinking the 0W would be best for an engine that was mostly going to be a generator when I can't find a wall socket.
And finally. Anything I should look out for in a 3 year old 36k mile X5 40e? I know the turn signal bulbs will be brand new so I won't have to check those.
Congrats on new ride! (y)

Your 2018 X5 40eX(a F15 chassis?) appears to be a N20 engine, so it is not PZEV covered.

Given your "engine on, 1.5 miles, engine off" routines, 0W20/0W30 does help with cold start. Technically, your electric range should cover your daily commutes, so your N20 is unlikely to get used/warmed up.

Your 2018 N20 also likely has updated timing chain components.

Do input your VIN on this page to check for engine type.

·
Registered
12,638 Posts
Big Jimmy 12...which engine does your “2.0” X5 have? When shopping for stuff...make sure you are using your model/model year/engine etc because the amount of oil can be different depending on which model/engine you have.

There should also be info in your owners manual about the amount of oil and the viscosity you need...,it will probably be under CAPACITIES.

·
Registered
19 Posts
A typical trip for my e40 f15 is to use all electric from home to freeway. After entering the fwy, it's common for the N20 ICE engine to start cold and rev to 3k rpm.
Kind of worry about that for longevity and understand why the specs call for 0w20.

My other N20 F30 non hybrid calls for 5w30.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts