Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, has anyone experienced this? This oil appears to be hitting the serpentine belt and being slung onto the charge piping (lower right in the pics), and down below thew car as well. Pictures are attached.

This started after I changed the oil, so I thought it might be something with the oil filter housing but doesn't appear to be. not 100% sure

Thanks for your help!

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,463 Posts
If the belt is oily then it is about to break. Oil is deleterious to belts and hoses.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check the valve cover gasket. Very common problem with these cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
That valve cover gasket looks pretty clean, no obvious signs of leaking. I was now just googling around and maybe it could be the oil filter housing gasket?

This started coincidentally after I changed the oil. It may not be related to that. However, maybe the oil filter housing gave out due to loosening/tightening the filter cap?

·
Registered
218 Posts
That valve cover gasket looks pretty clean, no obvious signs of leaking. I was now just googling around and maybe it could be the oil filter housing gasket?

This started coincidentally after I changed the oil. It may not be related to that. However, maybe the oil filter housing gave out due to loosening/tightening the filter cap?

The oil filter housing gasket looks fine (in the picture at least)

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
97 Posts
Valve cover gasket... When it leaked on my N54, it was dripping on exhaust side, filling up the angle that holds the turbos vacuum valves.

My guess is either:
- You drop some when you change your oil
- the oil filter housing gasket. If you go there and you have a N54 engine, change also the oil coolant flange gasket. (number 4 and 5 on the following link)

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=UC73-USA-04-2008-E82-BMW-135i&diagId=11_3971

If you wander what is the Vacuum valve bracket (angle)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akV3A6WWvxk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts