BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YES, I DID A SEARCH!!! And still can't find the official, technical bulletin BMW spec, for 2008 328i oil capacity... there are some great instructions, but no exact oil capacity provided. I can't wait a year to change the oil in this thing, and my DIY gene is dying to turn a bolt or two - so I plan to hit it this weekend at 5.5 months/4K miles.

No flaming please; provide the info if you can. Thanks much.
AJ

·
Freedom isn't free!!
2018 Glacier Silver 340i M Sport
19,961 Posts
Do you have an owner's manual?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not in the Owner's Manuals??

Raider,
Yeah I checked the manuals and here's what I found:

Owner's Manual
- Page 128: How to read the display for oil level (no dipstick), use 5-30W, BMW recommends Castrol (oil cap says Castrol also)
- Page 162: Under capacities it shows fuel and window washers capacities

Service & Warranty Info Manual
- Page 6: Oil should be changed once a year, use 5-30W, BMW recommends Mobil-1

Is it in there and I missed it? It's not listed in the engine compartment either. What the hell is the oil capacity for this engine???
AJ

·
Registered
35 Posts
My wife's 328xi is away right now so I don't have access to the OM, and BMW doesn't have the 2007 or 2008 OM on their website as a PDF. However, they do have the 2006 325xi manual online and on page 145 it says:

Engine with oil filter renewal US quarts/liters approx. 6.9/6.5 BMW High Performance
Synthetic Oil
PS: I found the 2007 OM for the 328i/335i and it has the same capacity listed as I posted above. I don't see why it would have changed for 2008.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks spockat. :thumbup: So if the 2007 manual states the oil capacity I can pretty much verify that the info has been left out of the 2008 books - appears they REALLY don't want you to change your own oil. The parts guy at the BMW dealership told me he thought the capacity was 6.5 quarts since "people buy 7 quarts for their self self oil changes". So much easier with the good 'ole dipstick... Thanks again.
AJ

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks AzNMpower!

Exactly what I was looking for... 6.9 quarts it is.
Regards,
AJ

·
Registered
252 Posts
I couldn't find it anywhere in my 2007 N51 engine OM, how convenient of BMW to recommend taking it to a BMW center to have it changed. The stealerships in action -- what scumbags. Just their typical arrogance.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Thanks spockat. :thumbup: So if the 2007 manual states the oil capacity I can pretty much verify that the info has been left out of the 2008 books - appears they REALLY don't want you to change your own oil. The parts guy at the BMW dealership told me he thought the capacity was 6.5 quarts since "people buy 7 quarts for their self self oil changes". So much easier with the good 'ole dipstick... Thanks again.
AJ
So happy that my 335D has a real dipstick. It is plastic though :tsk:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I visited my local BMW here in Virginia Beach, VA and the parts person called one of the mech, he stated, for my 2012 328i 4.5 liters, so I will be buying 5 QT.
Pennzoil synthetic platinum 5/30 and a BMW filter. I also bought from BAVAUTO a magnetic drain plug and tool oil cap, oil change on the agenda for tomorrow;)

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
YES, I DID A SEARCH!!! And still can't find the official, technical bulletin BMW spec, for 2008 328i oil capacity... there are some great instructions, but no exact oil capacity provided. I can't wait a year to change the oil in this thing, and my DIY gene is dying to turn a bolt or two - so I plan to hit it this weekend at 5.5 months/4K miles.

No flaming please; provide the info if you can. Thanks much.
AJ
That and more avail by setting one's Google to Engine Oil Capacity 2008 N52

·
Registered
4 Posts
How regularly does a 2016 BMW 328i need an Oil Change? Engineered oil generally ought to be changed each 7,500 - 10,000 miles. An oil change is quite possibly the most essential and huge administrations for your vehicle. BMW suggests getting your 2016 BMW 328i oil and channel changed each 3,000-5,000 miles for traditional oil.
https://filterspoint.com/best-oil-filter-wrench

·
Registered
E93 335i, somewhat mod <> Fog City, CA
2,715 Posts
How regularly does a 2016 BMW 328i need an Oil Change? Engineered oil generally ought to be changed each 7,500 - 10,000 miles. An oil change is quite possibly the most essential and huge administrations for your vehicle. BMW suggests getting your 2016 BMW 328i oil and channel changed each 3,000-5,000 miles for traditional oil.

Very regularly, and no less than once per year.

Your ride will be in touch with you.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Is there other oil but “engineered” one?
What is traditional oil? BMW says 10,000 specific, approved oil. In BMW there is no anywhere 3-5,000 recommendation, especially no recommendation for “traditional “ oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts