BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All,

Has anyone tried to change their oil using an oil pump to pull it out? Since my '07 328 XI does not have a dip stick, do I just put the hose in the compartment where I would pull the oil filter? If so, would this pull out all the oil?

Also, how often should one replace the air intake filter? Are these washable? http://www.amazon.com/33-2332-Replacement-Air-Filter/dp/B000E5W9PA/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Also, I have little over 70k miles on my car so it is out of warranty.

Thanks

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
I'm going to piggy back on this thread rather than starting a new one.

Does anyone know the oil capacity of the 335is Coupe? Since the 335is Coupe has the N54 engine and has an additional oil cooler I would think that it takes more oil than a 2007-2010 335i with the N54 engine. Oil capacity is not mentioned in the PDF Owner's Manual that I have.

I'm going to be scheduling an oil and filter change in Stuttgart during my ED prior to going to the Nurburgring. Since this model is not available outside North America, I want to be able to tell the service department how much oil will be required.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I'm going to piggy back on this thread rather than starting a new one.

Does anyone know the oil capacity of the 335is Coupe? Since the 335is Coupe has the N54 engine and has an additional oil cooler I would think that it takes more oil than a 2007-2010 335i with the N54 engine. Oil capacity is not mentioned in the PDF Owner's Manual that I have.

I'm going to be scheduling an oil and filter change in Stuttgart during my ED prior to going to the Nurburgring. Since this model is not available outside North America, I want to be able to tell the service department how much oil will be required.
Try a quick Google search and I think you will find. I was amazed BMW didn't put the oil capacity in their manual when I changed my N55's (break in) a couple of weeks ago. I found 6.8-7qts on the net and went with the lower number, 6.8, drove around and then checked the oil gauge and all was fine, showing right at the max line. I'm guessing the N54 is in the exact same ballpark quart-wise, but always better to go low than over.

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
Try a quick Google search and I think you will find. I was amazed BMW didn't put the oil capacity in their manual when I changed my N55's (break in) a couple of weeks ago. I found 6.8-7qts on the net and went with the lower number, 6.8, drove around and then checked the oil gauge and all was fine, showing right at the max line. I'm guessing the N54 is in the exact same ballpark quart-wise, but always better to go low than over.
I did do a quick Google search and all that was returned for "oil capacity 335is" was dealer listings for the 335is. That's why I asked and I was hoping that someone with a 335is would answer. I've also e-mailed a fellow BMW CCA member who is a BMW mechanic but I haven't heard back from him yet. If all else fails, I will talk to the service manager at my local BMW dealer when I go in Friday to sign the PO.

I don't think that you understand the differences between the N54 in the 335is and a regular N54 in a 335i. The 335is has an additional oil cooler and logically that should require more oil. I need the exact amount so that I can ask the Stuttgart dealer to estimate the cost for an oil change based on the amount of oil required.

But thanks for playing! :D

·
Bimmerdex 7.4!
11,164 Posts
I did do a quick Google search and all that was returned for "oil capacity 335is" was dealer listings for the 335is. That's why I asked and I was hoping that someone with a 335is would answer. I've also e-mailed a fellow BMW CCA member who is a BMW mechanic but I haven't heard back from him yet. If all else fails, I will talk to the service manager at my local BMW dealer when I go in Friday to sign the PO.

I don't think that you understand the differences between the N54 in the 335is and a regular N54 in a 335i. The 335is has an additional oil cooler and logically that should require more oil. I need the exact amount so that I can ask the Stuttgart dealer to estimate the cost for an oil change based on the amount of oil required.

But thanks for playing! :D
Couldn't you just say, Quote me 5 or 6 litres and I'll pay according to what it actually takes when you check after adding the minimum? I mean, this is an oil change, not an engine overhaul.
You'd be surprised at how little additional oil an oil cooler needs. Don't forget that you are dropping one turbo (housing) so that is an offset to the cooler to some extent.

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
Couldn't you just say, Quote me 5 or 6 litres and I'll pay according to what it actually takes when you check after adding the minimum? I mean, this is an oil change, not an engine overhaul.
You'd be surprised at how little additional oil an oil cooler needs. Don't forget that you are dropping one turbo (housing) so that is an offset to the cooler to some extent.
Why am I dropping one turbo (housing)? The N54 engine in the 335is still has twin turbos, not like the twin-scroll single turbo on the N55 found in the 2011 335i.

But I decided that it was good enough to just tell him that it may take more oil. It would only be a few euros difference. I just sent off the e-mail, I should hear back tomorrow. I don't expect him to know how much oil the 335is takes because it's not available anywhere except North America.

·
Nerd
1,149 Posts
Why am I dropping one turbo (housing)? The N54 engine in the 335is still has twin turbos, not like the twin-scroll single turbo on the N55 found in the 2011 335i.

But I decided that it was good enough to just tell him that it may take more oil. It would only be a few euros difference. I just sent off the e-mail, I should hear back tomorrow. I don't expect him to know how much oil the 335is takes because it's not available anywhere except North America.
All mid-late 2008 335i have oil coolers not just the 335is. Some early 2007 or 2008 builds are missing the oil cooler. The 335is has an additional radiator and larger fan similar to my Power Kit.

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
All mid-late 2008 335i have oil coolers not just the 335is. Some early 2007 or 2008 builds are missing the oil cooler. The 335is has an additional radiator and larger fan similar to my Power Kit.
The 335is has an additional oil cooler, as well as an additional radiator, mounted behind the right and left front intakes. It also has a heavy duty fan. (And stiffer engine mounts while we're at it.) These were added because BMW figures that 335is Coupe owners will be more likely to track their cars so they added the additional cooling capability for both oil and water and removed the fog lights, that are on the 335is Convertible, for more air flow. All of this has been mentioned in almost every review I've read on the 335is.

I'm assuming that the 335is requires some amount of oil over and above the amount required for a N54 335i because of the extra oil cooler. If and how much more I don't know.

·
Nerd
1,149 Posts
The 335is has an additional oil cooler, as well as an additional radiator, mounted behind the right and left front intakes. It also has a heavy duty fan. (And stiffer engine mounts while we're at it.) These were added because BMW figures that 335is Coupe owners will be more likely to track their cars so they added the additional cooling capability for both oil and water and removed the fog lights, that are on the 335is Convertible, for more air flow. All of this has been mentioned in almost every review I've read on the 335is.

I'm assuming that the 335is requires some amount of oil over and above the amount required for a N54 335i because of the extra oil cooler. If and how much more I don't know.
Uh, all 335s have this oil cooler. Look up some of the older posts about overheating and oil coolers.

Some early 335s from 2007 and early 2008 were missing this and it was added on due to overheating and "limp modes" sometime in mid-2007. Some 2007 owners were demanding oil cooler retrofits....so the oil cooler isn't unique to the "is".

·
Nerd
1,149 Posts

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
From the BMW website, under "Features & Specs" for the 335is Coupe, and for the 335is Convertible, in the section titled "Performance and efficiency":

"Additional oil cooler and water cooler for increased cooling performance"​

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/vehicles/2011/3/335iscoupe/features_and_specs/default.aspx

Now go and look at the same spec section for a 335i Coupe. Not there. Same for the 335i Sedan. Not there.

From the 2011 3 Series Coupe brochure, p.42:

"With all this power on tap, oil and water coolers have been added to provde increased cooling capacity."​

The 335is has TWO oil coolers.

Can I make this any clearer?

·
Nerd
1,149 Posts
The 335is has TWO oil coolers.

Can I make this any clearer?
All 335s have oil coolers in the right front fender well.
And where is this additional oil cooler located in your 335is?

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
All 335s have oil coolers in the right front fender well.
And where is this additional oil cooler located in your 335is?
I don't know yet, I'll let you know when I pick it up in Munich next month.

So you're basically saying that BMW is lying when they state in their brochure and on their website, and tell every 335is reviewer in their press kit that the 335is has additional oil and water coolers?

ETA: May this will help, from Road & Track:

"To combat heat during track driving, the "is" is fitted with a heavy-duty radiator fan and two extra heat exchangers. One, an engine oil cooler, and the other, a secondary coolant radiator. They are located ahead of each front wheel. This necessitated a new M3-esque front fascia with larger air openings. "​

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/updates/2011-bmw-335is

Maybe I'll also take some pictures when I go to the dealer on Friday to sign the PO.

·
Flying monkey herder
8,215 Posts
The is has the same oil cooler as all other sport packaged equipped cars

since there is no sport package on the is, the marketing literature mentions it. it does not have two auxiliary oil coolers, only one.

base i: oil to coolant heat exchanger

i sport package/ M Sport, AWD i sport package plus wheel upgrade or, AWD i M sport package: oil to coolant heat exchanger, oil to air cooler in passenger side wheel well

is/ performance power kit: oil to coolant heat exchanger, oil to air cooler in passenger side wheel well, auxiliary water radiator in drivers side wheel well.

The oil change volume is the same for all the cars, IIRC, the cooler is not drained, so about 0.3 quarts remains in the system. this is due to the cooler circuit being closed by the thermostat at normal operating temp. in order to drain it, you would need to push the oil temp past 240F and keep it there while draining the oil...... no, you do not want to do this.

the IS uses the same hardware as the Performance power kit, there's only one aux oil cooler.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.