BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up with all these people bragging out how they always do their oil change at 500miles, 1200 miles, some at every 5000 miles etc?

Are they all out of their minds? BMW and their Engineers know more about their cars. When they say 15000 or 1yr. They mean it. They dont just throw the numbers out for fun.

My car has 13000 miles (9Months). I was looking for some information in this forum to see what others are doing. All I see is, how often they change. Nobody wants to talk about if it even made a difference. If so, what difference? Since nobody wants to talk about that, it seems like they just do an oil change and think that all is good without any sign of where their money went!

·
Registered
405 Posts
you're right that BMW engineers don't throw out a # for fun. But oil is cheap compare to the cost of the engine if you want to keep it long term. I change every 7.5K miles and think of it as a cheap(very cheap) insurance for the engine. Buying a $40K car, and spend extra $100 a yr on oil makes sense to me. Even if it doesn't help the car, I would still do it anyway because it makes me feel good and it's all what matter. Heck, many of us here spend more cash on wax/polish/leather conditioner than on oil. Oil is blood for the car, it doesn't hurt to get new blood.

·
Registered
650 Posts
:rolleyes:

:lmao:

·
Philosopher-king
2,195 Posts
The BMW engineers are doing a cost vs. benefit analysis here.

They're virtually certain that the bearings and cylinder bores are going to be just fine at 100,000 miles.

At 200,000 miles? It doesn't matter, its not their problem. (It could even be to their benefit, since they might sell owner #4 a BMW factory rebuilt motor!)

·
Registered
185 Posts
HK25 said:
Whats up with all these people bragging out how they always do their oil change at 500miles, 1200 miles, some at every 5000 miles etc?

Are they all out of their minds? BMW and their Engineers know more about their cars. When they say 15000 or 1yr. They mean it. They dont just throw the numbers out for fun.

My car has 13000 miles (9Months). I was looking for some information in this forum to see what others are doing. All I see is, how often they change. Nobody wants to talk about if it even made a difference. If so, what difference? Since nobody wants to talk about that, it seems like they just do an oil change and think that all is good without any sign of where their money went!
There are at least two oil analysis that have been posted on other forums from new cars at 1200/1500 miles. They were not bad by any means, but the silicone alone was enough to lead me to do my own a post break-in change at 1500 miles. There is also a 15,000 mile analysis on bobistheoilguy.com which was clearly ready to come out.

As for when to do routine oil changes, that is a matter of risk and judgment. It most certainly is not a black and white issue, and there is no doubt in my mind that the accountants and marketing people had as much influence on the oil life monitor parameters as the engineers. Take Audi and VW for example, where the same engine had twice the oil change interval when it was installed in an Audi with "free maintenance" as it did when installed in a VW.

Finally, there are factors that can shorten oil life that will not be caught by the oil life monitor. Off spec oil (which happens), contamination (fuel, coolant) and crankcase ventilation problems will all kill oil early.

Ideally we would do what heavy equipment does, which is routine oil analysis. But analysis is not much cheaper than just doing the oil change itself. So, for me, mine will be getting changed at 1/2 the BMW interval. I don't feel that I am being stupid, just cautious with a machine that has cost me a great deal of money and that I want to last for a long time.

Will it make a difference? None of us, including BMW, will know until there are a large number of cars past 100,000 miles. Only then will we know if the BMW oil change interval works OK, or if it leads to sludge or valve train problems in a significant number of engines. Hopefully you are right and I am wrong, but I am not going to wait to find out.

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
Change your oil every 1k, 5k, 10, 15k miles, it does not matter and there is no conclusive evidence that is does regardless of the miles on the car.

All comments on oil changes are based on preference and speculation at best.

·
Nothing specific
984 Posts
HK25 said:

I change my oil every 5000 miles because I'm concerned that it's not the engineers setting that 15,000-mile interval, but the accountants and marketing people.

If BMW didn't offer free maintenance, I would be more inclined to trust them. As it is, my hunch is that 15,000-mile interval errs more on the side of saving BMW money, than saving my engine.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Has anyone actually checked and looked at the color of engine oil at 15k miles? (Sorry e90 owners) Look at the dipstick at around 7500mi. Then check again at 10k, 11k. At 7500, it's dirty enough to warrant a change. At 11k, it's pretty much black. And I don't care what brilliant german engineers say, but black oil = dirty = past due for an oil change.

I'm glad we didnt run up 15k miles very quickly.........we got the oil changed pretty much 1 year and 2 days after purchase. (BMW won't pay for an oil change unless 1 year or the 15k maintenance thing reaches <500mi.

·
Registered
185 Posts
HK25:

If you would indulge me, I would like to take a second stab at answering your question using a real life example.

My son’s girl friend has a Volvo 850 turbo that is somewhat past 10 years and 100,000 miles. However the car is not a beater by any means, and appears to have been well cared for. It has been in her extended family since new, and I have no reason to doubt her when she says that it was always taken to the dealer when it was supposed to be.

The car developed an intermittent oil pressure light this week, and the oil level shows full. This usually means sludge.

Here is a car that is probably scrap, yet was maintained according to the book. Did Volvo fail with this car? I don’t think so, since the car has lasted past what most people would consider to be a normal life span (100,000 mile plaques and marketing hype aside).

Would the car have this problem if its oil had been changed on a more conservative schedule using a high quality synthetic? Almost certainly not, IMO.

So the answer to your question depends, I believe, in how you view this situation. If you see this as a car that has served its purpose and is due for the scrap yard, then by all means stick to the factory schedule. And there is nothing wrong with that.

If on the other you see a car that should still be a good runner with plenty of life left in it “if only…..”, then a more conservative approach to fluid changes is justified.

·
Registered
29 Posts
AzNMpower32 said:
Has anyone actually checked and looked at the color of engine oil at 15k miles? (Sorry e90 owners) Look at the dipstick at around 7500mi. Then check again at 10k, 11k. At 7500, it's dirty enough to warrant a change. At 11k, it's pretty much black. And I don't care what brilliant german engineers say, but black oil = dirty = past due for an oil change.

I'm glad we didnt run up 15k miles very quickly.........we got the oil changed pretty much 1 year and 2 days after purchase. (BMW won't pay for an oil change unless 1 year or the 15k maintenance thing reaches <500mi.
what dipstick?
i agree with most of you guys. 15k is way too long
i just had mine done last week as she turned 1 yr old.
so far i have 8600 miles on it but did add some oil
a few months ago. i will be getting my oil change
annually.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
spoondog said:
what dipstick?
i agree with most of you guys. 15k is way too long
i just had mine done last week as she turned 1 yr old.
so far i have 8600 miles on it but did add some oil
a few months ago. i will be getting my oil change
annually.
I have been getting my change of oil annually as well. I went in and asked my SA about changing oil at 7500 miles due to my driving these days being mostly in city and he said we'll be happy to take your money, but the car doesn't need it.

I have been using synthetic oil since 1976 when I got stationed in Ankara Turkey. Temps in winter droped below zero F and the '74 Volvo 144 hardly turned over. A change to Mobile 1 cured the problem. I passed that car to one of my sons who totalled it in 1990 with well over 100,000 miles and changing oil at 10-12,000 miles. Never any problems with that engine.

Same with my 91 Lexus, changed to Mobile 1 and 10-12,000 mile oil changes. My d-i-l is now driving that car and after well over 100,000 miles the engine is still in great shape and trouble free.

Last I heard, Porsche recommends around 12,000 mile oil changes using synthetics.

If it makes you feel better changing oil more frequently, by all means, please do...I fully understand where you come from:)

·
BIG D BIMMERS
873 Posts
I've been wondering about this since I got my car in May so I called my dealership and they pretty much said the same thing: Every year oil changes/15K miles.
I personally don't think I'd put 15K/yr on my car so yearly changes should keep everything working properly.

·
Registered
107 Posts
After owning countless autos over the years. One (Nissan) reached 275,000 but routinely 150,000. My SA and I decieded to change the E90 06 oil every 8,000 miles or 6 months whichever comes first. Just my take.

·
Registered
29 Posts
hunt55 said:
After owning countless autos over the years. One (Nissan) reached 275,000 but routinely 150,000. My SA and I decieded to change the E90 06 oil every 8,000 miles or 6 months whichever comes first. Just my take.
is that out of your pocket?
i'm assuming it is..

·
Philosopher-king
2,195 Posts
dwagner74 said:
My son's girl friend has a Volvo 850 turbo that is somewhat past 10 years and 100,000 miles.
I have a 1998 Volvo V70 T5 (turbo) station wagon, it has 169,xxx miles on the clock and it still uses no oil between changes. The oil has always been Mobil-1 synthetic 10W30, changed at 5000 mile intervals and which has been a challenge at times since the Volvo dealer always wanted to use dino-juice. "For fun" I did a Blackstone Labs oil analysis at 150,000 and it looked better than the numbers the guys on the "R" board were posting on their new cars.

Anyway, it still doesn't use oil. Maybe it's the Mobil-1 and the oil changes, or maybe the motor was built on Wednesday. This experience (no oil needed past the 100,000 mile mark) has so convinced me that I'm now using Mobil-1 and 5000 mile intervals for all our cars no matter what the factory says. If I leased, I'd just do the cheapest thing, but I don't lease.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I did my first oil change at around 7K miles and I felt the difference while I was drving back home. I was driving on the freeway, acceleration and drive was smoother than the day before the oil change.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
cooldriverof3 said:
I did my first oil change at around 7K miles and I felt the difference while I was drving back home. I was driving on the freeway, acceleration and drive was smoother than the day before the oil change.
I lease mine so I don't care. I have 9K on my car and the countdown says 9K til next service. My one year anny will be 11/22/06 but I'll wait until the light comes on to take it in. One of the additional benefits to leasing is to do just the minum amount to keep the vehicle functioning properly within the prescribed requirements. Now, if I owned the car, it would be a totally different story with respect to the frequency....

·
Registered
184 Posts
ckm1515 said:
I lease mine so I don't care. One of the additional benefits to leasing is to do just the minum amount to keep the vehicle functioning properly within the prescribed requirements.
And that's precisely why I would never consider buying a lease return.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts