BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I personally don't believe in 15k intervals between oil changes, particularly when the car is new. So, my plan is to change the oil around 2000 miles (sometime after the break in period), around 7500, and every 7500 thereafter. For the record, if I were leasing the car, I'd follow the manufacturer's recommendation, but I want to keep this car (2002 325i) for a long time.

The question is, which oil to use? I have a bias towards Mobil 1, but have read you shouldn't really use it in a new engine (new being less than 15k).

To you fellow extra oil changers, what oil(s) did you use, when did you change your oil, and should I insist the dealer use the same stuff I go with?

·
Mostly Reading
148 Posts
IF you have a BMWCCA membership, you can get the BMW Synthetic for less than $3/qrt.

G

·
dduk said:
IF you have a BMWCCA membership, you can get the BMW Synthetic for less than $3/qrt.
Although it is NOT 100% synthetic. And I certainly would not run this partial synthetic to 15K miles. But it's certainly fine to 5000 or 7500 miles.

·
Mostly Reading
148 Posts
TD said:

Although it is NOT 100% synthetic. And I certainly would not run this partial synthetic to 15K miles. But it's certainly fine to 5000 or 7500 miles.
Yes, yes, I should have put "synthetic" or "semi-synthetic". Either way, I read it's actually better than Mobil 1.

·
TMS Grand-AM Cup Crew
457 Posts
Oil Change

I also have never agreed with the whole 15K oil change thing.

I changed my original oil at 3000 miles. Then I have changed it every 5000 miles.

I use Castrol Syntec 5W-50 in the Summer and the BMW or Castrol Syntec 5W-30 in the winter.

my $.02

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
dduk said:

Yes, yes, I should have put "synthetic" or "semi-synthetic". Either way, I read it's actually better than Mobil 1.
Interesting, where did you see this? :dunno:

G

·
dduk said:

I'd love to see where you read this. This runs counter to everything I've ever read or heard.

·
Mostly Reading
148 Posts
Everything I've read has been posted on this and other boards, so take it all with a grain of salt. There has also been speculation about Mobil 1 having been reformulated and then not being as "good" as it used to be. People can argue it all they want but until I see some test data, it's hard to convince anyone. Also, I BMW used to recommend Mobil 1, but now they recommend Castrol. Don't know exactly why. . .

As for me, I change my oil every 5k with BMW (semi)synthitic oil and filter.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
dduk said:
Also, I BMW used to recommend Mobil 1, but now they recommend Castrol. Don't know exactly why. . .
Well, take a look at a Williams/BMW F1 car...

And yes, marketing is marketing, but I've yet to see Castrol claim that any race teams use Syntec off-the-shelf, whereas I do recall some Mobil1 marketing material saying that some CART teams do use it off-the-shelf.

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
KP said:

Never burned any oil with Mobil1 on my car. 21.5k and it's loving the stuff. Yes, I ignore the "BMW recommends Castrol" inside the hood:D
Whats stranger yet, my driving habits are the same (I'm very conservative, actually the car has only been past 4500 RPM once!)

·
3,440 Posts
Ripsnort said:

Whats stranger yet, my driving habits are the same (I'm very conservative, actually the car has only been past 4500 RPM once!)
I used to be the same way. Then I drove my salesmans demo and it flat out moved. So now with 9,000 miles on the clock I'm driving it a little harder. When it's warming up I rev 3,000-3,500 RPM and after that it's it the rev range of 3,000-5,000 (maybe 5,500) depending on the traffic.

What's the best grade to run in an E46? BMW recommends 5W-30, but what about the 0W-30?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I do my own oil changes every 5000 miles using Moble 1.
I go into the dealership every 15000 to get my freebie oil change.

Do you guys forsee any problem with this?

(me using moble 1 on my oil changes and the dealership using bmw oil on their oil changes)

·
3,440 Posts

Do you guys forsee any problem with this?

(me using moble 1 on my oil changes and the dealership using bmw oil on their oil changes)
Several BMW Techs at my local BMW Center have advised me against switching brands back and forth. Pick one and stick with it has been their advice. I'm getting ready to switch to Mobil 1 at 9,500 miles. I haven't decided on which grade yet. :dunno:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Switching

Sean said:

Several BMW Techs at my local BMW Center have advised me against switching brands back and forth. Pick one and stick with it has been their advice. I'm getting ready to switch to Mobil 1 at 9,500 miles. I haven't decided on which grade yet. :dunno:
I changed to Mobil 1 at 1500 miles, after break in. I'll be doing another change at 7500 miles with Mobil 1 and then handing the car over to the techs at 15000 miles, with a case of Mobil 1 in the trunk. I'm not sure if I'll be doing 5000 or 7500 mile oil changes.

Mobil 1 at Costco here on the West Coast is $21/6qts, which comes out to what you would pay for that crummy Castrol Syntec stuff at the dealer, that apparently only vaguely resembles synthetic oil at the molecular level (thus the Mobil lawsuit against them).

--gary

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
dduk said:
...There has also been speculation about Mobil 1 having been reformulated and then not being as "good" as it used to be...
I think you're talking about Mobil 1 SuperSyn. However, from what I read, it seems to be even better. Instead of breaking down during extreme high-temperature conditions, it holds up even more.

I use BMW's OEM because of the CCA discount... ;)

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Ripsnort said:

What??? I bet you she's begging to be redlined...

I sold my M3 with 2,500 miles on the clock and it had never been revved up past 6K RPM's though... :yikes: I was holding up until I hit 3,000 miles (decided to "extend" the break-in period - well, kind of)...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts