BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished changing the oil on my 2002 325i, and as I went to clean up the oil drain pan I found the washer still in the pan. I put the plug back in without it, and I already filled the thing with oil.

Before I waste 7 quarts of Mobil 1 and replace it...can anyone tell me if it's absolutely critical? I tightened the plug pretty well, and I'm thinking I can check daily to see if I'm leaking, but I'd obviously rather do it over and replace it than risk the engine. Any thoughts would be appreciated...thanks.

·
Drives cars for a living!
3,935 Posts
The washer is pretty important. You get a new one with the filter. It does 2 things, Acts as cushion for the AL block, and seals. Why not just use a really clean catch pan and reuse the oil???? If you do it quick enough, your only going to lose maybe a half quart.

BTW, I don't think Mobil 1 is the best choice for our cars. It's "close" to the OEM oil, but not the same.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point...I'll do that. Do you think it's ok to drive the car to and from work tomorrow (20 min freeway - each way) and do it then? I don't have a clean pan to do it tonight.

Where should I get the OEM oil...from the dealer? Online?

Thanks!

·
Drives cars for a living!
3,935 Posts
davepricesd said:
Good point...I'll do that. Do you think it's ok to drive the car to and from work tomorrow (20 min freeway - each way) and do it then? I don't have a clean pan to do it tonight.

Where should I get the OEM oil...from the dealer? Online?

Thanks!
Should be OK for a a little while I would think. I wouldn't drive it for days though.

You can buy oil at the dealer for about $4/quart. Only reason I use the OEM oil is bcause I have seen so many people with sludge buildup and problems with the VANOS going to hell. I'm not saying it's from Mobil 1, but I'm sticking with what the engine was designed to run on, and not a substitue that is "close". :dunno: So much stuff in theese engines depend on a certain viscosity to function properly, that I am not taking any chances. Same goes for when the cooling system gets flushed. I've read a number of people that have had water pumps fail soon after.....did they use the OEM coolant...I don't know????

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
Mobil 1 is fine. If you use the 0W-40 it meets all the specs, the 10W-30 doesn't, but your warranty is pretty much over so no big deal. I have run cars to 300K miles on Mobil 1.

Did you remove the old washer? If not you are probably fine. Just check for drips where you park it overnight.

·
The King of Common Sense
2,144 Posts
davepricesd said:
I just finished changing the oil on my 2002 325i, and as I went to clean up the oil drain pan I found the washer still in the pan. I put the plug back in without it, and I already filled the thing with oil.

Before I waste 7 quarts of Mobil 1 and replace it...can anyone tell me if it's absolutely critical? I tightened the plug pretty well, and I'm thinking I can check daily to see if I'm leaking, but I'd obviously rather do it over and replace it than risk the engine. Any thoughts would be appreciated...thanks.
It will leak, I can assure you. I made that same mistake. Drain the oil out and reuse it. I transferred the oil from the pan to a plastic 1/2 gallon milk container to refill. Make the transfer over the grass, just in case you spill some.

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
If you can get help, you can pull the plug and stick your thumb over the hole while a helper puts the washer on the plug, then stick it in quickly. You will probably lose less than a quart. I do NOT like putting oil back in the car that has been anywehere other than in teh original sealed bottle. Personal preference.

Again, see if it leaks. Most times people never take the old washer off and it will seal at least one or two extra uses.

·
davesnothear
31 Posts
I have had good luck with M1 in the past. Is it really that bad for BMW's? I noticed that Castrol is stamped all over the manual but is that a marketing endorsement or am I too suspicious?

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
Mobil 1 10W-30 and 5W-30 oils do not meet ACEA A3/B3 specs as required by BMW to maintain the warranty. Once out of warranty I have NO problem running Mobil 1 in any car. Last vehicle went 300K on teh oringal engine and only the rear seal was shot, compression was fine. Tranny went 350K on Mobil 1 (auto tranny). I like the stuff.

BTW Mobil 1 0W-40 Euro formula does meet ACEA A3/B3 specs.

But for under warranty, BMW oil (Castrol) is so inexpensive why no use it. :)

·
Registered
748 Posts
Pinecone, where do you get your information that Mobil1 (10W-30 & 5W-30) NOT meeting BMW's spec? The Maintenance manual on my 2004 X5 list Mobil1 as the ONLY alternative to BMW's Castrol...note that it's NOT the 0W-40, but the 5W-30, which is the same weight as the Castrol.

·
M Mad
10,476 Posts
From the bottles. On the back. Unless they changed things since the last time I checked, they listed only meeting ACEA A1/B1 specs.

If that has changed, let me know. Or I will check next time I am at a store. As of when I checked a while back, the only -30 oil that met ACEA A3/B3 was the BMW oil. Most -40 or higher full synthetic oils met ACEA A3/B3.

Update, from the Mobil 1 site:

Mobil 1 5W-30
The Mobil 1***174; 5W-30 grade delivers the viscosity recommended for most General Motors vehicles and many imports. Mobil 1 5W-30 is the approved and the first choice of premium car manufacturers, including Corvette. Mobil 1 5W-30 meets:
GM 6094M, GM 4718M (Corvette spec)
Ford WSS-M2C929-A
ACEA A1/B1
ILSAC GF-4 (API Certified - Starburst)
Looking further it looks like the new "Extended Performane" -30 versions meets
ACEA A1/A5, B1/B5
. The 15W-50 meets
ACEA A3, B3/B4
More info, the 10W-30 NON-Extended Performance also meets ACEA A1/A5, B1/B5. The ONLY Mobil 1 that meets BMW Longl\Life 01 specs is the 0W-40.

All that info aside, I would still not hesitate to use Mobil 1 with the extended drain intervals in any BMW car. It is just that it is possible to have warranty problems because they do not meet the required specs. But if your manaul says it is acceptable substitute, then you should not have warranty problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.