BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put this in the DIY forum...but it looks like a lot more people will see it here...any thoughts would be much appreciated...

I just finished changing the oil on my 2002 325i, and as I went to clean up the oil drain pan I found the washer still in the pan. I put the plug back in without it, and I already filled the thing with oil.

Before I waste 7 quarts of Mobil 1 and replace it...can anyone tell me if it's absolutely critical? I tightened the plug pretty well, and I'm thinking I can check daily to see if I'm leaking, but I'd obviously rather do it over and replace it than risk the engine.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok...the obvious answer that I could use a clean pan to drain the new oil, replace the washer, and then put the new oil back in just occurred to me...so I guess the question is do I need to do that or am I ok without the washer? Thanks.

·
Registered
141 Posts
This edea might help, pull the plug and let the oil run into a clean pan and stick your finger in the hole while you replace the washer on the plug with the other hand. This way you will loose less than a quart, but you will make a mess so use rubber gloves.

·
Registered
281 Posts
you'll be fine. do not overtighten the drain plug and risk crossthreading it. just keep an eye on it the next few weeks and put on a washer next time.

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
I've had this happen a couple of times. Now I always put the NEW washer that comes with the filter on the drain plug FIRST. Then I fish the old one out of the drain oil. Same thing with the filter housing gasket. If you get into this habit, you'll never reinstall without one.

Just me, but I wouldn't take the chance.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
I'm with 'banddr2' on this one. It should be easy to remove the drain bolt, plug the hole with your finger, and replace it with the washer on with very little oil loss. Of course, you'll want to do this when your engine is cold :).

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
KrisL said:
I'm with 'banddr2' on this one. It should be easy to remove the drain bolt, plug the hole with your finger, and replace it with the washer on with very little oil loss. Of course, you'll want to do this when your engine is cold :).
Good luck with that approach :p. You're looking at a huge mess.

I'd rather drain the oil into a new drain pan and then refill it. You're going to lose at least two or three quarts fiddling with it this way which is more than the cost of a brand new drain pan. This just begs for cross threading the drain bolt as well.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
Scott ZHP said:
Good luck with that approach :p. You're looking at a huge mess.

I'd rather drain the oil into a new drain pan and then refill it. You're going to lose at least two or three quarts fiddling with it this way which is more than the cost of a brand new drain pan. This just begs for cross threading the drain bolt as well.
I've done it before and managed just fine with about 1/2 quart loss.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Hopefully your using Mobil 1 0w40 as their 30 weights are not LL-01 approved as they run on the very thin side of the 30 weight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts