BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an '87 e30, It has high miles and the oil is black!This is my first bimmer and I'm not sure what kind of oil to use. The car does have high mileage and after a couple minutes of driving it puts out a little bit of smoke. Starts up just fine though. Please help!

· Registered
125 Posts
yes 10w-30 year round should be good. i used to use 10w-30 but my old girl valve taps and the 20w-50 seemed to help and since i am in florida the extra wieght is not a problem in the winter months of 60 degrees.

· livin large
7,613 Posts
you should actually be running 10w40. but ive only been able to find that at bmw dealers. i ran 15w40 for winter and 20w50 for summer in colorado. as long as you let the engine warm up for a few minutes in the morning, it works pretty good

· Nick's Toys
1,386 Posts
Flushing out old oil

Getting back to what you said
and the oil is black!
I would first flush the engine with Wynn's engine flush !
i.e. pour it in & drive it for about a 100 miles without Reving the engine too high. Why not pour in WM Penn valve ease into the tank, whilst you're at it.
I am not a fan of additives, but these products have prooven themselves to me over 20 years.
Then you properly flush your oil when hot & pour in a oil formulated for old engines, such as Caltex Delo Gold 15W40.
I am not advocating the use of these liquids, but that's what we can get here :bigpimp:

If you now remove the tappet cover, you should see little sludge remaining :)
If it is sludge that held the motor together, then you can expect a spun bearing in the near future :(
I have already removed 40 year old tar from a motor with Voco or Petrolium, but that should hardly be neccesary in a engine that runs :thumbup:

· if it wasn't for that...
717 Posts
Well I live in PA and used castrol gtx highmilage in my e30 with the 2.7. In warmer Places like phenix or florda it makes sense to run the thiner oils but in the colder weather up north 10w-30 or 10w-40 would be my recomendation atleast to use in the colder months.

· D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
32,082 Posts
Well I live in PA and used castrol gtx highmilage in my e30 with the 2.7. In warmer Places like phenix or florda it makes sense to run the thiner oils but in the colder weather up north 10w-30 or 10w-40 would be my recomendation atleast to use in the colder months.
You should be running thicker (higher weight) oils in hot weather, not thinner. 15W-50 Mobil1 or 20W-50 RP is what I run year round here in mostly very hot south Alabama.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.