Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im draining my oil right now. Bucket shows just at 6.5 quarts. I am using rhino ramps under the front wheels on a perfectly level surface. Is it better to leave it "level" to get most the oil out or is it designed for an incline? I know the motor drinks 6.9 quarts so its not much but as long as Im DIY , I'd like to get out as much as possible. Right now its been 20 minutes and Im still seeing a hair thin line drooling out. think it helps to dump a 1/4 quart in when most is drained to kind of rinse off the bottom of the pan maybe catching any debris along the way?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
IMO, that is a lot of incline for oil draining versus being level. Another area to try, you should remove the filter cap to allow the oil in filter hsg to drain as well, otherwise, there's oil "stuck" up there until cover is removed.
I wouldn't pour clean oil in to try to push out old. Doesn't work that well, again, IMO.
Did you check the oil level before you started the oil drain? You may have been a little low to start with.

On our X3's, I would just run the car up on a couple 2x8's stack to give me a little room to get under to remove the drain bolts. Or jack car up on drivers side enough to get pan under it & remove drain plug. Once it's done I would lower drivers side to allow any "extra" oil to drain. Just a couple suggestions if you're concerned about the ramps.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I do all my oil changes on. Rhino ramps. Don't sweat the0.5 liter left in. There's much more in voids, pipes, surfaces, etc.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I do oil changes on the E83 just as it's parked lol.
Plenty of room under there, its actually nice not having to jack it up or anything.

Pop the dipstick and crack open the oil filter housing. That should let you drain as much as possible.
M54 and N52 both do consume oil as well, so don't be surprised you get less than 7qts out.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I was surprised on my last change that I only got 4.5 Qts out. Yes, it was on front ramps,as normal, and normally I get about 6 out.

Just the week before I had checked the oil level and the display said "OK", which is a little worrying.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got almost 7 out on a rhino ramp. I got a dollar general bucket with "Q" level marks on the inside. About 6.8 out so 6.8 back in. No dipstick in the dipstick car and I just cant get myself to fully trust the slow electronic method. I just dont feel confident in it. It also seems to take forever....like watching a slow motion roulette wheel. about 6.8 out 6.8 back in in.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I got almost 7 out on a rhino ramp. I got a dollar general bucket with "Q" level marks on the inside. About 6.8 out so 6.8 back in. No dipstick in the dipstick car and I just cant get myself to fully trust the slow electronic method. I just dont feel confident in it. It also seems to take forever....like watching a slow motion roulette wheel. about 6.8 out 6.8 back in in.
For oil changes, the service manual usually states quantity of oil to put in "after a change," so there's really no need to use a dipstick to check oil level...only to partially check engine condition if the vehicle is equipped with one. Fill to ~6.7 L, then if it's 1 notch low, add .24L...so for 2 notches, 0.48L, or round to 0.5L. This video explains better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLg50w_79l4

I just use Fumoto oil drain valve for oil changes....no need for ramps, just attach a pipe and flip a lever....no spills as well.

That display is just one of the reasons the X3 is my last Bimmer
Actually there is a dipstick....it is located in the driver's seat. BMW technology speak, it is called the "Ultimate Smart Dynamic dipstick."

·
Anti-Hack
4,908 Posts
Don't bother with the ramps. Due to the drain plug's placement, there will be oil (and particulate) left in the pan, which makes adding oil more of a guessing game.

Oil changes on these are stupid simple, no need to even remove the shield, I don't know why people feel they need to raise the front of the car; if the drain were at the rear of the pan, it'd be a different story. Drain all oil, add 6.5L (or just under 7 qt) and call it a day. I can't remember the last time I "checked" its oil level.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didnt check...but I assumed the bucket was too tall to fit underneath. I will get one of those flat collectors next time. My other cars that took non synthetic oil, it seemed like the 5 minute jiffy lube type change was fine and after the time and mess, wasnt worth doing myself. This X-3 it seems like Im saving money doing it myself with the synthetic on top of making sure its the right filter and putting in a new plug. I may try one of those "valve" plugs next time so I can just hook up a tube, turn the valve and be done with it. The filter on these cars is in such an awesome location to make it easy.

·
Registered
664 Posts
After running my car up to temperature, I jack the front up with a floor jack, then remove the plug along with the filter and dipstick. I do believe more oil comes out when the car is level, so I let the jack down to where the tires touch the ground, then walk away and let the oil drain out overnight. Can't stand to put the plug back in if I see old oil still dripping out, which is why I opt for overnight draining. Maximizes the change-out IMO.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts