Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New owner here-need help with oil change ...1)exactly where is the oil pan drain plug located?
2)Exactly where is the oil filter located AND exactly what tools do you need to do this work? Have seen very conflicting info on the locations of each. ALSO, the engine type is a e53-correct?
Thanx!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Engine N62 I believe. Search xoutpost.com there is a very good video on how to change the oil on that engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Learn newtis.info. Enter the last 7 of your vin. Search “oil service.”

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
12,073 Posts
New owner here-need help with oil change ...the engine type is a e53-correct?
Thanx!
Nope..."E53" is the model's production run classification nomenclature (aka "generational model code name" ). For example:
  • E53 = the 1st iteration X5 (2000-2006 model years)
  • E70 = the 2nd iteration X5 (2007-2013 model years)
  • F15 = the 3rd iteration X5 (2014-2019 model years)
  • G05 = the 4th iteration X5 (2020- present model years)
As mentioned already...if you have a 2006 e53 X5 4.4...your engine nomenclature is N62...which is the V8 engine used in the 2004-2006 e53 X5 4.4 ... the 2000-2003 X5 4.4 used the M62TU V8 engine. :)

And yes, you really need to know which engine you***8217;re working on because the 2004-06 E53 X5 4.4 & 4.8is received the ***8220;new generation ***8220; ***8220;N62 engine which was a big change in oil filter location. For decades...the ***8220;MX X***8220; BMW engines had the oil filter reservoir located on the top side of the engine bay (made it real easy to change)...but with the introduction of the new generation engines (that start with an ***8220;N***8221;)...the oil filter moved to the underside of the engine ... usually near the oil drain plug. So if you***8217;re searching for how to change the oil on an e53 X5...yes, you could get vastly different instructions depending on which engine you have (m54/m62TU/m57/n62).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Newbie oil change

Thanx for theclarification on engine type.After much diffusion of info I was able to figure out it is an N62 engine. The oil filter is on the BOTTOM of the engine (not on the top) and requires a 24mm socket to remove. The stripped 6mm on the oil drain plug was removed by vice grips-not the best but still worked solution.

Now-next question= am burning oil especially after ideling for a few minutes.Preliminary research indicated the valve cover gaskets. The dip stick I also find confusing. There is wet oil on the bottom and top nipples of the red portion of the oil dipstick but not a lot-if anything in between How do I interpret this?

Read awhile back that Bob Marley bought his BMW with first paychecks thinking that BMW stood for Bob Marley and the Wailers!:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Newbie plug chahge

Are new plug types really crucial to engine performance. For example, NGX plugs are $3 per plug and change while Bosch Super Platinum are almost $10 per plug. The only difference I can tell is plug longevity...difference in cost is about $60-Feedback?
Thanx in advance
Dave

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 98K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
16,436 Posts
In re dipstick level, the crankcase is full of oil vapor and mist that settles on surfaces. That is very different from liquid oil stuck to the dipstick by surface tension. There should be a definite ring at the highest oil level on the dipstick.

As critical as this measure is, if you are the lest bit unsure than get advise from a trusted acquaintance. I have a dipstick and years of experience reading them.

I do not have sparkplugs. It is my impression that NGK are the only plugs to use but only the proper part numbers NGK.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Spare tire info

What are the wires going into the circular spare tire holder in a 2006 x5 4,4? And does the spare tire pressure reflect on the low tire pressure warning on the instrument cluster?

·
Registered
12,073 Posts
1. What are the wires going into the circular spare tire holder in a 2006 x5 4,4?
2. And does the spare tire pressure reflect on the low tire pressure warning on the instrument cluster?
1. I would need a pic to help visualize what you're asking.

2. No, even if your e53 had TPM sensors (which I don't think you have them)...the spare doesn't send a signal due to it being stationary.

For BMWs that use the direct (RDC) TPM system, the sensor sends a signal approx every 3 seconds to the aerial or RDC control module. If the tire isn't moving, then it isn't sending a signal.

But your 2006 e53 probably uses the indirect (RPA) monitoring system that uses the rotation of the tires and the ABS/wheel speed sensors to determine if the tire has lost air pressure. The rolling circumference of the tire changes when it loses air...and this change is detected by the wheel speed sensor which will be off by a marginal percentage from the "base" calculation made when the system was last set.

EDIT: yep...yoru 2006 E53 uses the indirect/RPA system...so you don't have sensors inside your tires. :)

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts