BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 325Ci with 5 speed that was built in October 2004. I did European delivery and it now has about 12,000 miles on it. I have not changed the oil and the oil service indicator says I have about 3,000 miles to go before a change is required. It's my understanding the synthetic oil is good for 15,000 miles. The owner's manual does not list a maximum amount of time before oil changes, only that the serivce indicator will show when changes are needed.

My question is, should I have changed the oil before now or is it okay to wait until the computer tells me to change it? It gets driven weekly but not every day. :dunno:

Thanks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
801 Radial. How many miles do you put in a year?
If you put low miles on the car, then once a year like
300B stated is fine. I wouldn't go 15000 miles with
any synthetic oil. If I drove my car all year round, I
would change it at 7500 mi, then at the dealer for the
free change at 15000.:beerchug:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I deduct about 1700 miles that was put on the car during my time in Europe, then it would be about 5000 per yer. So yes it would be a low amount each year. I'm just concerned that it will be 2 years (or more) before it's changed, if I follow the service indicator. That's a long time for the dirt and contaminants to stay inside the engine, even though the synthetic oil is still capable of protecting the moving parts. I know opinions vary based on the posts I've read, but once a year sounds reasonable.

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
4,571 Posts
Lets just say there will be another 30 threads regarding this before its time to change your oil again.

·
Registered
96 Posts
801 Radial. Your in the same situation as me. I only put
about 4200 mi or 7000 km per year. I change the oil once
a year in November before winter storage.:cry:

·
Casey!
17,665 Posts
I drive mine about 5k per year. Its an '04 and has 16k miles on it. I've had 3 oil changes so far - each one at the 1 year mark. Dealer picked up the cost for all of 'em. They only reset the service indicator at 15k miles though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts