Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How difficult is it to change the oil in a F31 xDrive Transfer Case? Do you have to remove any shielding or other parts?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
The transfer case has to be reset after changing the oil You'll need a BMW scanner or bring it to a shop to have it done.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has anyone acheived this yet without removing the TB?
I am planning a complete transmission overhaul this summer (early I know, but like to plan ahead ;) of all components Front/Rear Diff, Tansfer Box, Auto Transmission.

As with the rear diff, I plan to use some kind of bent tubing and a suction pump through the filler hole, maybe someone has some experience to share.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Has anyone acheived this yet without removing the TB?
I am planning a complete transmission overhaul this summer (early I know, but like to plan ahead ;) of all components Front/Rear Diff, Tansfer Box, Auto Transmission.

As with the rear diff, I plan to use some kind of bent tubing and a suction pump through the filler hole, maybe someone has some experience to share.

You don’t need to remove the transfer case. It’s a bit of a job though and more trouble than I think it’s worth, so I bring it in to my shop and have them do it. Make sure to have it reset afterwards.
Rear diff- bent tubing is the way to go and search around with it for pockets of oil. You should get close to a quart out. The front diff has a drain plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
14 Posts
I will have to investigate the reset of which you speak ;) I guess it's an ISTA work through.
I know its going to be painful, but I do think its worth it, at least for my piece of mind.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I will have to investigate the reset of which you speak ;) I guess it's an ISTA work through.
I know its going to be painful, but I do think its worth it, at least for my piece of mind.

Yes ISTA or a scanner like the Foxwell 510. So what you need to do is remove the cross brace and support the tcase with a Jack. The you have access to the fill plug.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

Yes ISTA or a scanner like the Foxwell 510. So what you need to do is remove the cross brace and support the tcase with a Jack. The you have access to the fill plug.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts