BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed my oil and filter and i am not sure how to read the dip stick. I added 7 quarts of bmw oil, Is that the correct amount? and does anyone have a diagram showing full level on the stick? I know its a dumb question, thanks in advance :thumbup:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey MarkGreer thanks for the reply! I really did not want to over fill because i know the problems that can cause.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Miguel 3 said:
Hey MarkGreer thanks for the reply! I really did not want to over fill because i know the problems that can cause.
BMW crank cases has a small release valve, so that if you overfill with engine oil, it will slowly leak out to prevent damage to your engine.

It's still good practice to NOT overfil the crank case. I would suggest pouring 5 quart first, check the dipstick, then pour another quart if it's reading below the minimum, and then check the dipstick again.

The oil pan only holds about 6.7 quarts of oil. I've found that even if you drain the oil from the pan for an extended period of time, the most oil you'll be able to get out is about 6 1/4 quarts.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
HACK I USED AN OIL EXTRACTOR AND IT MUST HAVE TAKEN OUT MOST OF THE OIL BECAUSE I ADDED EXACTLY 7 QUARTS. AND IF I AM READING THE STICK CORRECT ITS PERFECT, I MEASURED IT BEFORE STARTING THE ENGINE. THE NEXT TIME I WILL MEASURE HOW MUCH I TAKE OUT. THE CONTAINER FOR THE EXTRACTOR IS ONLY 5 QUARTS SO REALLY DID NOT PAY ATTN TO HOW MUCH CAME OUT. ANY WAY AS USUAL YOUR INFO IS GREAT, YOUR DOING A GREAT JOB WITH THIS SITE. THANKS

G

·
BTW, no harm will occur with a minor overfill.

On an E36, if you plan on doing any track or autox, it's wise to overfill by 3/4 of a qt or so to help with the valve clatter.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Miguel 3 said:
HACK I USED AN OIL EXTRACTOR AND IT MUST HAVE TAKEN OUT MOST OF THE OIL BECAUSE I ADDED EXACTLY 7 QUARTS. AND IF I AM READING THE STICK CORRECT ITS PERFECT, I MEASURED IT BEFORE STARTING THE ENGINE. THE NEXT TIME I WILL MEASURE HOW MUCH I TAKE OUT. THE CONTAINER FOR THE EXTRACTOR IS ONLY 5 QUARTS SO REALLY DID NOT PAY ATTN TO HOW MUCH CAME OUT. ANY WAY AS USUAL YOUR INFO IS GREAT, YOUR DOING A GREAT JOB WITH THIS SITE. THANKS
Turn off your caps lock please. :banghead:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts