BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

So i'm trying to change my oil by myself for the first time. However, the oil filter is just impossible to get off. I bought one of the specialty tools and still no luck. Tried a strap wrench, my hands, everything I can think of. I'm suspecting that the dealer tightened it too hard.

So expecting to do my own oil, I bought my own oil and oil filter. However, since I can't get the filter housing cap off. What are my options? Any suggestions?

If I take it to local shop would they use the oil and filter that I bought? Or should I just get an oil change and request that the filter not be impossible to take off next time by myself?

thanks for all the help!

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
Hey everyone,

So i'm trying to change my oil by myself for the first time. However, the oil filter is just impossible to get off. I bought one of the specialty tools and still no luck. Tried a strap wrench, my hands, everything I can think of. I'm suspecting that the dealer tightened it too hard.

So expecting to do my own oil, I bought my own oil and oil filter. However, since I can't get the filter housing cap off. What are my options? Any suggestions?

If I take it to local shop would they use the oil and filter that I bought? Or should I just get an oil change and request that the filter not be impossible to take off next time by myself?

thanks for all the help!
You need an oil filter cap removal tool like this: http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Oil_Filter_Cap_Removal_Tool/ES2167951/. Then just use a large socket on a 1/2" drive breaker bar and it will come off with no problem. You can't request them to put the cap on loose as it's supposed to be tightened to 18 lb./ft torque.

·
California Über Alles
871 Posts
Tischer's is more than twice what ECS is charging for that oil filter cover socket in SD 335's link.

To the OP-- make sure you're turning it the right way (counter clockwise). Also, as I recall from watching someone else change their oil, the green paint marks did not line up either before he took the filter housing off or when torquing the cover back on after replacing the filter. I don't recall exactly, but the marks were about 1/2 inch apart. So it your marks are like 1/4 turn off it probably is way over tightened. My guess without seeing it is it's probably just a little tight, which is normal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tischer's is more than twice what ECS is charging for that oil filter cover socket in SD 335's link.

To the OP-- make sure you're turning it the right way (counter clockwise). Also, as I recall from watching someone else change their oil, the green paint marks did not line up either before he took the filter housing off or when torquing the cover back on after replacing the filter. I don't recall exactly, but the marks were about 1/2 inch apart. So it your marks are like 1/4 turn off it probably is way over tightened. My guess without seeing it is it's probably just a little tight, which is normal.
also are you sure it is counter clockwise? I've read in other forums that it is clockwise one e90's. Also on the filter housing itself it has an arrow pointing clockwise.

Did you buy the filter wrench that fits over the filter housing?
yea. i bought a wrench that goes over the filter housing by assenmacher. However, when I try to take the wrench off, the wrench gets stuck and that's when I bring out the hammer

I've got an 18 in 1/2 drive wrench but no luck

i don't know what's the problem. In other forums, people are able to take the housing off even with their hands but for me. nooo way.

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
also are you sure it is counter clockwise? I've read in other forums that it is clockwise one e90's. Also on the filter housing itself it has an arrow pointing clockwise.

yea. i bought a wrench that goes over the filter housing by assenmacher. However, when I try to take the wrench off, the wrench gets stuck and that's when I bring out the hammer

I've got an 18 in 1/2 drive wrench but no luck

i don't know what's the problem. In other forums, people are able to take the housing off even with their hands but for me. nooo way.
Well, if you're turning it clockwise all your doing is tightening it! It will never come off that way! Righty tighty lefty loosey works in almost all cases with only a few exceptions, usually having to do with something that rotates, like the spindle in a weed-whacker.

I'm guessing that the arrow pointing clockwise means that it has a right hand thread and it tightens by turning it clockwise! Try turning it counter-clockwise (or anti-clockwise if you're
British). I'm absolutely positive it will come off if you turn it counter-clockwise.

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
I pound a long screwdriver through the filter and use the handle to turn. Or if it can fit I use a channel lock. You're gonna change the filter anyway so don't be afraid to damage it.
This may work for a spin-on filter in a metal canister but not the oil filter housing containing a replaceable paper filter. Have you ever done an oil change on your 335i?

·
California Über Alles
871 Posts
You should immediately STOP all efforts to get the filter housing off until you know for certain which way you should be turning it.

While I don't have either my E91 or a Bentley Manual immediately available to me, I don't recall anything unusual about a BMW oil filter cover. Loosening it by turning it clockwise would be very unusual. As I recall the arrow has a number close to it, which indicates the torque value to be used for tightening the filter cover. Again, it doesn't matter what I know for sure, you need to be certain about what you're doing.

·
California Über Alles
871 Posts
I pound a long screwdriver through the filter and use the handle to turn. Or if it can fit I use a channel lock. You're gonna change the filter anyway so don't be afraid to damage it.
LMAO! Tell him you're kidding, please. He's going to be in enough trouble if he manages to get his filter cover off by burning it clockwise.

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
I would take it to an Indy

An Indy that would let you watch him take if off and allow you to put it back on for
one time at least. There should be a torque spec for this somewhere.

Call Indy up and see what they can do for you. You don't want to get stuck at home with this thing apart.
don't get primeval on it.

Have you done this on other cars?

·
Pedant and Curmudgeon
6,205 Posts
definitely comes off counter-clockwise

I helped a guy on the BMWCCA forums on this 1-2 months ago. It was on way too tight and had lots of problems, but finally got it off. There is a DIY on e90post - easy to find. (DIY doesn't mention direction.)

Unfortunately, I can't point you to the BMWCCA forums, as it's still toast.:cry:

·
Registered
6,313 Posts

·
California Über Alles
871 Posts
Here's a picture I just took of the E93 oil filter housing cap. To me, the arrow and the 25+5 Nm is the torque spec, i.e., the cap must be tightened 18 ft-lbs. in a clockwise direction. Don't know what the +5 means. It seems too small to be the angle part of a torque plus angle spec. Maybe indicates an acceptable range up to 5 Nm over 25Nm?

To the OP-- if you read some DIY on the net that says the filter housing cap must be removed in a clockwise direction, you'd be doing a favor for others if you track it down and get the site owner or moderator to correct the error.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
good new everyone! i was able to get the filter housing off. yes it was counter clockwise!! been wasting my whole time with that stupid detail. I was like the saying goes lefty loosey right tightey. but that one DIY said clockwise so i took his word for it. lol

but I had couple additional questions. I started the engine and opened the hood to check for leaks from the oil filter housing. Luckily, there was none. However, I heard this clicking noise which sort of frightens me. Is this something I should worry about? Or does it gradually go away over time? The thing that worries me is that when I was putting the new oil filter back into the housing it made a certain noise. Is that normal? Since I heard this noise, I didn't take the car out for a drive yet to make sure the clicking sound is nothing tooo serious.

But to check the lvl of the oil I let the car sit and turned on the engine for a while and the OBC reported the oil lvl at OK when I put in the 6.9 quarts. Should I put more in?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
Could be the valve lifter clicking.

Could be the valve lifter clicking.
Due to the oil being drained out of the engine block and head.
Did you put in the full 7 quarts?
You should if you haven't
Chances are when you go for a drive this will go away as the oil gets back
up into the lifter area.
Did you get the full oil change kit from BMW with the o rings crush washer and put them in according to
the DIY's and use a BMW approved oil?

You should check the level by using the stalk control to look at the oil level I wouldn't put any more
in till you can get several readouts on the level sensor over about three drives. Drives where you go out
on the highway . That sensor is not instantaneous and give more of an average reading you don't want to overfill
to top it off only add a little at a time and then take several readings on different drives its PINTA

There is a known valve ticking problem with 328's the newer ones have a revised head with better oil flow.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13504

1 - 20 of 20 Posts