Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2011 E93 328i.

Can I do an oil change myself without raising the car? Is there easy access to the drain plug or is there a plastic skid pan under there?

Thnx

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, great guide for the process but I'm not sure about clearance under the car. I don't own ramps or anything else of that sort. May just have it done by a 3rd party.

·
Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,276 Posts
The change itself is easy, but I was never able to do mine without having the car on ramps. It was just too low for me to get in under there to open the little door over the drain plug and pull the plug itself.

·
Lost but making good time
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
5,618 Posts
Not possible without lifting the car at least a few inches. The drain plug is located near the centerline of the car, well back from the nose, behind an access panel in the aggregate shield. It would be difficult if not impossible to remove & replace by reaching in from the side of the car. Apart from that, I doubt there is clearance to fit a large-capacity drain pan underneath while still being able to reach the plug.

Edit: Which amounts to, "What Zooks said." ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts

Can I do an oil change myself without raising the car? Is there easy access to the drain plug or is there a plastic skid pan under there?

Thnx
If you don't have ramps and jacks, use the curb to give you enough space to remove the oil lug.

·
Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,276 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts

Thnx
Very low esp if you have Motorsport option.I lifted car on one side and opened the plastic cover and used 17 mm socket .
It uses a lot of oil so be prepared for a bit of spillage unless you have a large oil collector

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I just
-raise driver side using jack,
-put low profile oil container under,
- unscrew oil drain,
- lower the car and let oil drain,
- replace filter,
- jack up car again,
- put oil drain bolt back,
- pull the pan and check how much oil was dumped
- lower the car,
- fill it with new oil.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I just
-raise driver side using jack,
-put low profile oil container under,
- unscrew oil drain,
- lower the car and let oil drain,
- replace filter,
- jack up car again,
- put oil drain bolt back,
- pull the pan and check how much oil was dumped
- lower the car,
- fill it with new oil.
Wow, that is a lot of work.

Ahem, cough cough, ramps?

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
You should never crawl under a car sitting on a jack.

A friend has a Quick Jack, and the idea of crawling under that thing creeps me out. It'd be o.k. for tire rotation and maybe brake work.

https://youtu.be/bVMVVHOXJ6Y

I'm spoiled. I have access to a commercial drive-on lift. But, that will end when I move north. So, I'm getting a roll-on lift in our new house.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
That's an American Custom Lift (ACL) lift, designed in California, made in Texas. It's about $7k, uninstalled. That's cheaper than putting an extra bay on the garage, though. Going from a 10' ceiling to a 14' ceiling in the middle bay will not cost much. The biggest trick is finding a garage door installer who knows how to make the door go all the way up to the 14' ceiling and still work right. That requires special hardware to balance the weight. The springs used on normal doors don't work right when the door goes mostly straight up.

A big thing I like about the ACL's are the fixed (flexible, aluminum) ramps. You don't have to remove them before driving anther car under the raised lift.

https://aclifts.com/lifts/park-king-4-post-car-lift/

There are cheaper ones made in China, though. Bendpack and Rotary have moved their production of residential lifts to China.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I sure miss the dipstick! I have a motorized drain I used on my 540i 6sp and its no use now :( Tried raising one side and draining, but oil caught the lip of the under panel and made mess!

·
Registered
10,674 Posts
That's cool, for the 50% of jobs that are done with the wheels on. What's the plan for the rest?
It's more like 10%, for the time being. I'm easy on brakes. I've only had to do six axles in the last 25 years. But, Floriduh is flat. We're moving to the foot hills of the Smokey Mountains soon. So, brakes might become more of an issue.

ACL sells a drive-on lift that also has frame lifts that roll back and forth on the lift. But, my lift will be primarily for storage, with three or four oil changes a year. I'd be worried about dirt and hydraulic fluid from those frame lifts falling on the car below. ACL also sells cross members that can be used with bottle jacks.

All my cars have spare tires. So, I can do tire rotations with the car on the ground using a floor jack and the spare as a place holder. But, that Quick Jack thing above (Post #13) might be a solution for brakes and tire rotation. They're about $1500. But, I really hate buying stuff from China.

My garage will have different "specialties" for each bay. Bay #1 will have a floor sloping inward to a drain and extra lighting, for 24/7/365 car washing. Bay #2 will have the drive-on lift. Bay #3 will have a perfectly flat floor for wheels-off maintenance if necessary.

The golf cart door in the back of Bay #3 is for access to the backyard, and for backing a boat in without worrying about whacking the outboard motor into the back wall.

"Autoputzer" is German for "car washer." "Auto" also means "self." "Putz" in Yiddish for "playing or acting ineffectively." So, "Autoputzer" could also mean "one who plays with himself." Uhh…. ummm… :confused: Let's go with "car washer."

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts