BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I need some help with this job any help or video link or pics will help out a lot.i have a 2007 550i v8 N62 and I have to my oil cooler thermostat replaced.has anyone done this job before and has any information that would help me do the job??all help is appreciated:)

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Welcome to the forum .

You have to disconnect the oil cooler lines on the left side of the radiator in order to remove the fan . Remove the serpentine belt and tensioner , idler pulley and the alternator .Then the power steering pump in order to get to the thermostat . I would also do the alternator bracket gasket while you're that deep into it . Costs 10 bucks for the gasket .

Also get some chf 11s hydraulic fluid because you have to disconnect the inlet hose in order to get the power steering pump out of the way .

Here is a picture you can see the thermostat with the alternator and P.S pump out of the way .

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey H F thank for the help and welcoming me to the forum I will have plenty of questions and helpful answers to some things the dealership will not tell..thanks again for the help much appreciated***128077;***128077;

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
From what I remember when I did my bracket gasket -
I pulled that thing apart to reseal. I know everyone calls it a thermostat, but it looks more like a pressure dampener on the inside (equalizes the pressure between inlet and outlet).

image.jpeg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@A B able truck yes I see that it is located on the side of my radiator by the oil cooler black plastic piece of course and is small about 21/2 to 3 inches long...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@solotallboy my water pump was bad after a technician did the pump test and said I needed a new water pump which i did myself and also he diagnosed that I needed an oil cooler thermostat.he did not want to show or tell me exactly what it was and hit with a price of 2500$ bucks if he did the job and will take 6hours.. Sorry Charlie I went to you tube and found this guy named Steve aka "diy e65 e66".. Show you step by step to do the water pump to me it was easy but bummer to get that last bolt off under the AC belt wheel..job well done my friend:)

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
@A B able truck yes I see that it is located on the side of my radiator by the oil cooler black plastic piece of course and is small about 21/2 to 3 inches long...
I think you're talking about the transmission oil thermostat

image.jpeg

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Hey H F thank for the help and welcoming me to the forum I will have plenty of questions and helpful answers to some things the dealership will not tell..thanks again for the help much appreciated***128077;***128077;
You're welcome sir . Happy to help . That's what this site is all about ,, with many competent people here to assist you .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts