BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Become the Bull
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 build (non-sports package) 335i e92. Which means (i haven't physically checked) that i don't have a factory oil cooler.

Knowing that the car runs hot, i started to look at oil coolers. I really only feel comfortable w/ DINAN ($2000-3000) but i don't know any other company, and that'a alot of money to me.

So i don't track my car and only really "spiritly" drive her on occassion (using manual mode to move through the gears once, shifting at 5-6k rpm once down a short road) is it worth it to spend that amount of money on an oil cooler?

I'm going to hold onto the car for at least 5 years (hopefully longer since its my first bmw) and want to take all the steps i can to protect the car for the long run.

·
Here comes trouble!
8,356 Posts
Limp mode is what protects the car when it overheats. Hence, unless you plan to track the car and know it has an increased chance of overheating, I think an oil cooler is not a worthwhile investment.

·
Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,327 Posts
Same here. xDrive 335i coupe with 17" tires, so no oil cooler.

I looked into it, and don't think it's worth it if you aren't going to track the car. Even on the hottest summer days, I only hit 250 (the point where the oil cooler thermostat opens) on 85 deg days and higher, and then only at 80 mph with the A/C on. I never even approached 260.

If you want some extra cooling, think about the BMW performance upgrade when it comes available for already-delivered cars. Comes with a 30 HP boost plus extra radiator cooling, no questions added about your warranty coverage.

FWIW,
George

·
Registered
71 Posts
are you primarily concerned that DINAN is covered by the warranty? i really don't think it's worth $2000-3000 for the dinan.

i suggest purchasing a JB product.

but if u get a HPFP then u must remove the chip out before going into the dealer.

assuming u don't have other engine problems, do the calculations. do whichever u think is worth it.

btw, the fuel pump is around $500 if the warranty is voided, right?

·
Breaking in the Pony
6,327 Posts
are you primarily concerned that DINAN is covered by the warranty?
Dinan and BMW have ended their warranty relationship. Dinan will provide 3rd party warranty coverage to 60k miles, but it is no longer a true "BMW" warranty and you can't get the extension to 100k (important for someone planning to keep the car a long time).

George

·
Become the Bull
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dinan and BMW have ended their warranty relationship. George
the was the primary reason i was focused on DINAN, they were paired w/ BMW ergo i assumed they were an excellent company for the 335i. I am totally un familiar w/ other 3rd party companies fabrication of an oil cooler.

I just want a reputable company, so that the issue of a warranty isn't a problem b/c the product shouldn't break.

I've only hit 250 doing multiple runs moving through the gears up and down a parking lot. I've yet to drive the car in these humid NY summers (delivered in Aug. not so bad) to see how it reacts

·
Breaking in the Pony
6,327 Posts
I just want a reputable company, so that the issue of a warranty isn't a problem b/c the product shouldn't break.
Oh, I wouldn't be worried about Dinan warranting their product - it's a no-moving-parts air-to-liquid heat exchanger. What could go wrong?

What you don't want is someone trying to make the claim that the Dinan exchanger has caused other problems on your BMW, thus voiding the BMW warranty. That's a bit of a row for BMW to hoe, but screwing aftermarket items into your oil system has a higher chance of triggering a warranty fight than having your oil changed at the indy shop down the street.

If it were I (and I'm in exactly the same spot), I'd wait to see if a problem looks to be developing. If so, look at the Dinan cooler ($$), retrofitting of the BMW cooler ($$$), or the BMW performance upgrade with the extra water radiator ($$).

As always, though, YMMV.

Best regards,
George

·
Registered
578 Posts
No. There is little evidence that oil cooler provide any benefit off the track. While there have been a few instances of non-oil cooler cars hitting limp mode, I don't think there a lot of evidence that even BMW's extra oil cooler would have prevented it. That's most likely why BMWs performance package (i.e. the BMW "chip" for the twin turbo) includes better radiator cooling, rather than an upgraded oil cooler. Personally, I have never seen my car get over 250, except when I had it on the track for a couple of sessions, when it hit ~280. It did not go into limp home mode, although I do not have the BMW oil cooler, but I was also taking it a bit easy. I have also personally seen someone at the track enter limp home mode, even with a BMW oil cooler. My conclusion, then, is that the BMW oil cooler is a bit of a placebo; not good enough for the track, and not really necessary for the street, unless perhaps you live in a hot climate.

·
Skjoni's Dad
1,733 Posts
I have the cooler. In 1.5 years of driving, have never been above 230 degrees. i don't think you need it unless you're having high oil temps. save your scratch.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't have the extra cooler but want to get one.
Reason - track days. Only been once so far but it quickly hit limp mode (I'm running the JB+ too). I want to do more so the oil cooler is a must.
Daily driving it's never hit limp mode temps.

If you manage to get it hot enough for limp mode then maybe it's a sign you'd be a good candidate.

Based on your described use I wouldn't bother.

·
Breaking in the Pony
6,327 Posts
no one answered my question above.

the fuel pump is around $500 if the warranty is voided, right?
I think it's likely that few, if anyone, knows the cost. Just about all reports have been from people who had it replaced under warranty. I remember DSXMachina (I think) was trying to get his hands on a dead one to do a failure analysis, and nobody could come up with one, since the dealers kept the bad ones after a warranty repair.

George

·
Chairman of the Bored
3,284 Posts
no one answered my question above.

the fuel pump is around $500 if the warranty is voided, right?
2 days ago my fuel pump was replaced and I saw the invoice with the prices on it very briefly, it was around $500 but I don't if that was the bottom line or just the HPFP.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts