Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
BeeemerBro
5,4,6 BMW X3 All...196K +
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a good deal Pennsoil euro BMW LL01 made the order latter part of last week went in today for the pickup. ..opened the box in the store. ..what do I find...euro L two jugs....good help is hard to find! I made the return at customer service desk and reordered on line

Sent from my SM-G386T using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I don't think Pennzoil is selling any LL-01 oils in the U.S. We went through this a year or two ago and it doesn't appear anything has changed.

Castrol Edge 0W-40 is still your most economical choice, AFAIK.

AM.

·
BeeemerBro
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
243 Posts
BimmurBrothor,

Nice find. I see where they have the BMW LL-01 and LL-04. Plus a decent price to match. Thanks for sharing

·
BeeemerBro
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Question: I'm thinking of going a full (rest of) year with this Pennzoil with required top offs through... am I asking too much of this oil for the 3 Xs?

·
Registered
243 Posts
It definitely meets the BMW recommendations of LL-01. I will be looking at this option as well.

·
Anti-Hack
4,908 Posts
Question: I'm thinking of going a full (rest of) year with this Pennzoil with required top offs through... am I asking too much of this oil for the 3 Xs?

All depends on mileage, and how long you want to push the OCI. No one can answer that for you without a flame war resulting.

·
BeeemerBro
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All depends on mileage, and how long you want to push the OCI. No one can answer that for you without a flame war resulting.
I think I'll push it...but maybe not for Rescue Red we'll see...I think Pennzoil can go the distance for the three. Please let's not start a fire storm... I forgot how volatile the oil change interval subject is around here

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I hope you find it, as it would be nice to have at least one more economical alternative to Castrol. But I believe we beat this horse a couple years ago and discovered that no one actually sells the LL01 oil despite it being listed on the Pennzoil website. IIRC, Walmart seemed to have an erroneous listing on their site at the time. Perhaps that is no longer the case, though. Lets us know what you find.

AM.

·
BeeemerBro
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hope you find it, as it would be nice to have at least one more economical alternative to Castrol. But I believe we beat this horse a couple years ago and discovered that no one actually sells the LL01 oil despite it being listed on the Pennzoil website. IIRC, Walmart seemed to have an erroneous listing on their site at the time. Perhaps that is no longer the case, though. Lets us know what you find.

AM.
I think I'll buy a couple more stock up...dont want to be left out in the cold when things go dry and the opportunity is at hand now

Sent from my SM-J727T using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Anti-Hack
4,908 Posts
I think I'll buy a couple more stock up...dont want to be left out in the cold when things go dry and the opportunity is at hand now

But is it though? Best I could get from this thread is that you don't have the proper Pennzoil in your possession. I couldn't find Pennzoil Euro 5w-30 in 5 quart jugs on the Walmart website... L (LL-04) yes, but not LL-01 euro. When Castrol is a known entity, I don't under stand why people always need to try and reinvent the wheel when they're $22/jug.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Not sure about USA, but in Canada our Costco has Castrol synthetic 5L jugs for $28.99-$32.99.
That always seemed like the best deal on oil to me. :dunno:

·
Registered
10,680 Posts
The Euro L is BMW LL-04, only recommended for diesels in the US, due to the high sulfur content of US gasoline.

The Euro (no L) 5W-30 is BMW LL-01, but I've yet to find any at Walmart or nationwide auto parts stores. I get shag a lifetime supply (two years) of Platinum (not Euro) 5W-30 for my non-BMW beater at about $17 for a 5-quart jug.

I'd love to find Euro 5W-30 at Walmart. I'll check the next time I'm there cruising for babes...

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
Not sure about USA, but in Canada our Costco has Castrol synthetic 5L jugs for $28.99-$32.99.
That always seemed like the best deal on oil to me. :dunno:
For my local Costco Castrol synthetic 5L jugs don't support BMW LL-01

·
BeeemerBro
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But is it though? Best I could get from this thread is that you don't have the proper Pennzoil in your possession. I couldn't find Pennzoil Euro 5w-30 in 5 quart jugs on their website... L (LL-04) yes, but not LL-01 euro. When Castrol is a known entity, I don't under stand why people always need to try and reinvent the wheel when they're $22/jug.
Here we go...
who's website? For those interested and if it's not clear already...I discovered Pennzoil euro on the Walmart website..I've made my order 2 for $45.58 tax you know...finding oil is not so bleak...got to Amazon and search A3B4 and notice the number of oils on the return search. Let's not limit ourselves and let's keep an open mind.

·
Registered
264 Posts
For my local Costco Castrol synthetic 5L jugs don't support BMW LL-01
Because Castrol didn't opt to renew their certification, not because the formulation of the oil changed.

Besides, as long as the oil is ACEA A1/B1 certified, it's more than fine.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
336 Posts
Because Castrol didn't opt to renew their certification, not because the formulation of the oil changed.

Besides, as long as the oil is ACEA A1/B1 certified, it's more than fine.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
See this one i bought, but not from costco 20190202_124745.jpeg 20190202_124758.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Anti-Hack
4,908 Posts
Here we go...
who's website? For those interested and if it's not clear already...I discovered Pennzoil euro on the Walmart website..I've made my order 2 for $45.58 tax you know...finding oil is not so bleak...got to Amazon and search A3B4 and notice the number of oils on the return search. Let's not limit ourselves and let's keep an open mind.

The Walmart website.

Let us know when the stuff you ordered arrives.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm running the pennsoil euro 0w-?. So far so good, even with -45 winter start ups.

What's everyone's hard on with LL-01? Are you really running 15k mile extended oil changes? If not what's the point. But hey what ever floats your boat. It's not like the X3 are under any BMW warranty anymore.

I just change mine at 5-7,000 kms (3-5 k miles)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts