BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a downside or issue to using a 7L oil extractor versus draining via drain plug? I have 76K on a 2000 2.3 roady and don't live near an interstate - no spirited driving - and about 2-3k miles per year. I don't anticipate a sludge problem since I only use synthetic.

I love not having to jack the car for an oil change and will change oil every year regardless of mileage only using a good synthetic (Mobile1).

Thanks for your opinions and sage advice.

Mike

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
As far as I am concerned, no.

I have yet to see any documented evidence whatsoever there are/is any sludge build-up in either case when a quality oil is changed at regular intervals with a quality filter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
BMW recommends castrol 5w30 syn but any synthetic works as long as it is 5w30. There are 2 things i do recommend to the diy mechanic, 1- use a factory filter due to some aftermarket filters causing low oil pressure due to restrictive flow often claiming better filtration and 2 be sure to varify the level to be BETWEEN add and full when you have filled and run the engine for 30 sec then allowed to drain back for 30 sec. This way you know the correct level due to some sump pumps inefficiency at removing all oil. Any method of changing the oil works but the most important thing is that its done once a year reguardless of oil type or mileage

·
///M Practical
859 Posts
Is there a downside or issue to using a 7L oil extractor versus draining via drain plug? I have 76K on a 2000 2.3 roady and don't live near an interstate - no spirited driving - and about 2-3k miles per year. I don't anticipate a sludge problem since I only use synthetic.

I love not having to jack the car for an oil change and will change oil every year regardless of mileage only using a good synthetic (Mobile1).

Thanks for your opinions and sage advice.

Mike
There have been a lot of discussions on this forum about using an extractor. I have been using a Mityvac for years and am happy with it. I've heard that Mobil 1 5W-30 is a little thin. If you go to their website and look up your model and engine, they only recommend their 0W-40 synthethic.

·
Alpine White Collector
145 Posts
Where do you extract from?

The dipstick tube? Any DIY pics out there?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Where do you extract from?

The dipstick tube? Any DIY pics out there?
Yes, the dipstick tube. I use a Pela 650 and it is an easy procedure. Get your oil hot, park in such a way that viewed from the top the dipstick hole would be at the lowest point, insert the tubing that best fits the dipstick hole, pump and watch the oil drain. These oil extractors work amazingly well...I am able to suck out pretty much what the dipstick reading says I should.

http://www.pelaproducts.com/how_to_use.htm

·
DO IT YOURSELF.
1,297 Posts
I've heard that Mobil 1 5W-30 is a little thin. If you go to their website and look up your model and engine, they only recommend their 0W-40 synthethic.
Correct. Mobil 1 5w-30 does not have the "BMW LL 01" certification (or whatever it is); 0w-40 does. 0w-40 is a PITA to find at times and never goes on sale around here.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oil extractor

I found the 7.0L oil extractor at Autosport.com which extracts through the dipstick tube. I used Mobile1 10w-30 Extended Performance here in Florida and the level was right at the full mark when done.

I'll run it a year on this oil but do I need to change viscosity at next change? I am 40 miles from any interstate and there is no place for spirited driving - just a lot of top down cruising.

Thanks for your info,
Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts