BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where I can pick up an oil extractor locally in OC or LA (preferably in OC)? I'm looking for 6.5L or higher capacity and I don't want to wait for shipping. :D

Thanks!

--SONET

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
I got mine from thetoolwarehouse.net. They're in Jersey but ship out of Vegas and only takes a couple of days.

If you just need one to use, you're welcome to borrow mine.

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kaz, you always contribute such helpful information here!

That tool site is awesome - that is the cheapest price I have seen yet.

Thanks for offering me use of your extractor, that's really nice. I would actually be using it on my Explorer though, and I have a feeling the oil is going to be pretty icky. I don't want to abuse your extractor, but again I appreciate your offer! Hopefully mine will arrive soon so I can start abusing it right away. ;)

--SONET

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
SONET said:
Thanks Kaz, you always contribute such helpful information here!

That tool site is awesome - that is the cheapest price I have seen yet.

Thanks for offering me use of your extractor, that's really nice. I would actually be using it on my Explorer though, and I have a feeling the oil is going to be pretty icky. I don't want to abuse your extractor, but again I appreciate your offer! Hopefully mine will arrive soon so I can start abusing it right away. ;)

--SONET
Sounds like you already ordered it online, but for anyone else curious they are available through any marine supply store. Check the yellow pages for one around you; that's what I did.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I really like the idea of an extractor but I'm concerned about how much oil it can't pick up. Has anyone done an extraction then pulled the drain plug to see how much oil is really left :dunno:

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cabriolet said:
I really like the idea of an extractor but I'm concerned about how much oil it can't pick up. Has anyone done an extraction then pulled the drain plug to see how much oil is really left :dunno:
I plan on doing this, so if nobody else responds I will report my findings as soon as I try it. :D

--SONET

·
Registered
155 Posts
What amount you put back into the engine is more important........With my Pela-650 I needed to add back a FULL 7 Quarts of Mobil 1 to bring the level up to full.
I imagine it might be better than an upramp drain.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm kinda curious about the extractor, and it's applicability for your first oil change. You'd think that all the little bits of metal and grunge would sink to the bottom of the pan, and would only drain away if the oil was removed by gravity. Sucking the oil out might leave some of the grit behind, since I don't think there's any way to remove all the oil by drawing it upwards. There has to be some left behind.

That said, I don't think I'd have a problem using the extractor for subsequent oil changes.

What does everyone think about this?

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Andawyr said:
I'm kinda curious about the extractor, and it's applicability for your first oil change. You'd think that all the little bits of metal and grunge would sink to the bottom of the pan, and would only drain away if the oil was removed by gravity. Sucking the oil out might leave some of the grit behind, since I don't think there's any way to remove all the oil by drawing it upwards. There has to be some left behind.

That said, I don't think I'd have a problem using the extractor for subsequent oil changes.

What does everyone think about this?
This was one of the reasons I was initially VERY skeptical about extractors (look for my old posts about this). But if you look at where the drain plug is on most cars, its not exactly at ther VERY bottom, and although you'd need a transparent oilpan to be sure, sucking out suspended crud is likely just as effextive as draining from a non-optimal location.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Andawyr said:
You should always run the car to warm it up and suspend all the particles in the oil. If your concern is about particles in the bottom of the pan, what about those in the valve train that don't settle to the bottom, or other internal cavities?

I figure as long as I warm the car, circulate the oil and let the particles be suspended I have 95% of it covered.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Chipster said:

You should always run the car to warm it up and suspend all the particles in the oil. If your concern is about particles in the bottom of the pan, what about those in the valve train that don't settle to the bottom, or other internal cavities?

I figure as long as I warm the car, circulate the oil and let the particles be suspended I have 95% of it covered.
Good point. I do remember the tip about running the engine before you suck the oil out, but I, well, forgot :rolleyes:

But, thanks for the reminder! :thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.