Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
I have a Top Sider that I've had for years that works well and has been very durable.

·
The Arkleyologist
588 Posts
I use one I purchased from Walmart...it works great....I gave up on the one I purchased years ago from bavauto..it looked like a beehive and never worked properly..the one from Walmart is great..just a couple pushes on the handle and all the oil comes out in a matter of seconds...I think I purchased the 7 litre one..

·
Registered
797 Posts
I have a Mighty Vac. It sucks. bahaha.
I think it is a 7201 for about 80 bucks. Comes with a few different size lines. Works well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Despite the snide comments, I still don't have an answer to my question: how do I use an oil extractor if my Z4 lacks a dipstick?
Phil Jones

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
Despite the snide comments, I still don't have an answer to my question: how do I use an oil extractor if my Z4 lacks a dipstick?

Phil Jones

You can’t use an oil extractor if you don’t have a dip stick. There’s no access to the oil pan.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
630 Posts
I think ya got off easy with the snide comments...............i mean it is not like you were told to remove the 710 cap and take a 2 foot long half inch drill bit and make an 18 inch long hole or do not work on your autos just go to jiffy lube........nobody said that

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Never before having owned a car that lacked a dipstick, and never before having owned an oil extractor, but always having changed the oil in my other cars (including a BMW), it was a fair question. I am not offended by the ribbing, but for a forum where the whole point is to share information, some people might be reluctant to ask a dumb question for fear of a ribbing. So I will go so far as to say it was inappropriate.
Phil Jones

·
Registered
12,727 Posts
Never before having owned a car that lacked a dipstick, and never before having owned an oil extractor, but always having changed the oil in my other cars (including a BMW), it was a fair question. I am not offended by the ribbing, but for a forum where the whole point is to share information, some people might be reluctant to ask a dumb question for fear of a ribbing. So I will go so far as to say it was inappropriate.
Phil Jones
The downside is you have to drain the oil the old fashioned way. The upside is you can check your oil level real time while driving by just pushing a button in the instrument cluster. So far I've found the convenience of real time checking outweighs the inconvenience on not be able to use the extractor through the dip stick. I do a lot of autocross and HPDE so I probably value the oil level check more than others may. YMMV.

·
The Arkleyologist
588 Posts
Phil..most of us have had experiences on forums in general, where smart alec replys are made on serious questions...best thing to do is simply filter out those immature replys and move on to the more mature answers that address your concern...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Am intrigued as to the effectiveness of a topsider kit in getting the sediments out of the block.

You could always ad one of these to facilitate oil changes.

https://www.ezoilchangevalve.com/store/c2/EZ_OIL_DRAIN_VALVE.html
:thumbup: I have the Fumoto branded oil drain valve on the colt. Super handy, don't need to jack the car up can slide under the car to flick the switch.

Unfortunately the e85 is too low to do the same thing, need ramps and or low profile jack and jackstands :tsk:

How do you do your oil change?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'm not completely sold on using the extractor (as opposed to the drain plug) for extracting all the crud, but the Z4 is not the easiest car to get under either. But when it comes to checking the oil level, this dipstick would rather trust an actual dipstick than a series of lights on the dashboard.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts