BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know who makes the oil filter's on the M roaster?
Also, some mentioned oil a few posts back and I have had great luck with Amsoil and I know they make a 5W-40 and is certified for BMW use. I have used their extended drain intervals for some time and the oil has always done what they said it would. Have not used the European formulas but have no reason to doubt that if they are certified for BMW, Porche and VW that they should stand up however, not sure of their drain intervals.
In any event, wanted to find out who makes the filters for BMW and do some reasearch on what they consist of and how well they actually perform. I have found that there are great differences between even premium filters.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Mahle

The Mahle OX68D oil filter is identical to the BMW oil filter element, P/N 11 42 7 833 769, used on the E36 M3 CONVERTIBLE, E36 M3 COUPE, E36 M3 SEDAN, E46 M3 CONVERTIBLE, E46 M3 COUPE,
Z3 M COUPE, and Z3 M ROADSTER.
BMW AG also sources oil filters from Mann.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information on the oil filter. I am picky about what type of filtration is used on my vehicles. Funny how some folks will spend a bunch on a vehicle and put a oil filter on that will not do the job.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Old Chuck said:
Funny how some folks will spend a bunch on a vehicle and put a oil filter on that will not do the job.
And then there are some that won't even go so far as to change their own oil! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sources for these filters and the oil???

Mike

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Old Chuck said:
Does anyone know who makes the oil filter's on the M roaster?
Also, some mentioned oil a few posts back and I have had great luck with Amsoil and I know they make a 5W-40 and is certified for BMW use. I have used their extended drain intervals for some time and the oil has always done what they said it would. Have not used the European formulas but have no reason to doubt that if they are certified for BMW, Porche and VW that they should stand up however, not sure of their drain intervals.
In any event, wanted to find out who makes the filters for BMW and do some reasearch on what they consist of and how well they actually perform. I have found that there are great differences between even premium filters.
I use the BMW filters and fluids on my S54 M Coupe and '97 318ti.
Can't imagine buying a filter at Walmart or Pepboys.
Made by the same vender doesn't mean that it is the same.
The savings is minimal for the risk IMO.
Not sure how you would check the difference to go aftermarket.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The BMW oil filters by STP at AutoZone are made in India.....

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Has anyone on this site actually done any tests on Filters for BMW? I know on some sites individuals have cut open various filters and looked at the construction and materials. These have been compared to other filters after use and rated. These are subjective ratings but not backed by any company that sells the filters. Has anyone done anything similar or looked inside a BMW filter after say 3-5000 mile use? Or has anyone had an oil analysis done at various mileage with the BMW filter to ascertain how well the filter works??

·
Registered
60 Posts
There are tests out there... I'm not knocking the BMW filters or oils, as I'm sure they're as well engineered as the cars are.

My thoughts on this issue are centered around the common fact of knowledge. Just because there is a "cheaper" alternative out there, doesn't mean it's cheaply made or well made.

I've built a number of high performance cars, and I currently employ a wide range of Canton products on my Datsun V8 track car. I've also been an amsoil rep, and chose to drop the dealership licensing after one year... Research in oils and micron filtration, as well as oil testing is important, unless you just plan to use the approved filter through your dealer.

I recommend any do-it-yourselfer to go to bobistheoilfguy.com and do a lot of reading before you choose to throw a $1.99 onsale at walmart filter on your $45K+ car.

You guys can also scroll through the various folders at http://photos.yahoo.com/dat74z to see some of the stuff I've built, am working on, and the level of effort I've gone through in my own projects over the last 25+years...

Mike

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have oil analysis performed on each oil change on my S54 Coupe and the filtration test have been positive each time. I always use the BMW filter for the S54 because of all the problems I have read about on the engine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Let me tell you from experience.....

I work at a car dealership, and when a failure does happen (no matter what the model) in warranty or out of warranty (goodwill adjustment), you get a heck of a lot further showing a history of service at the dealership, or AT LEAST a receipt showing the vehicle manufacturer's filters were used for the history of the vehicle. I have yet to see a factory rep authorize an engine replacement when it comes in on a hook with a Fram or other brand filter on it and no dealership or manufacturer filter receipts. By the way, that is the way it SHOULD be. One fish in the sea throwing in his two copper coins.:eeps:

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Ron is right, there isn't really a reason to use anything but the OEM filter on the S54. It works well, and it's not expensive. The filter kit includes new O-rings and crush washers.

My last oil report attached. I'd be due for another, but my car has been in the body shop for almost 7 weeks. The trace of fuel in the oil is probably due to the fact that I cleaned the intake and trumpets with a gas-soaked rag the day I took the sample; the condensation return line runs straight to the oil pan.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Had a customer with a race transmission that had an issue with internal premature wear on syncro materials. We asked for guidance and technical analysis from the AMSOIL Tech rep and didn't get ANY. I expect to get solid tech representation, and not a recommendation for the same product I sold the guy, that was being suspected of contributing to the wear issue...

Not saying their products arent' good. But customer service and tech support have got to be top shelf if I'm gonna back a product or have its label on anything I own or drive at the track!

Mike:thumbup:

·
Registered
744 Posts
Oil filter confusion

Over the past several years, based on parts purchased from my local BMW dealer parts department, I have been using the Mahle OX 68 D oil filter kit (BMW P/N 11 42 1 730 389) in my S50 powered 1995 E36 M3 as well as my S52 powered 2000 E36/8 Z3M Coupe. I recently discovered that the parts list for the S50 and S52 powered E36 M3, the S54 powered E46 M3, and the S52 and S54 powered Z3 M Coupe and Roadster calls for Oil Filter Kit, BMW P/N 11 42 7 833 769 which cross references to the Mahle OX 187 D while the Mahle OX 68 D (BMW P/N 11 42 1 730 389) is specified for the M50 powered E34 and the M50 and M52 powered E36. I recently obtained a Mahle OX 187 D Oil Filter Kit and visually compared it to the Mahle OX 68 D. To my untrained oil filter eye the two Oil Filter Kits appear to be identical.
I consulted with a local, well respected BMW parts guru, who happens to reside at BMW Seattle, regarding this oil filter subject.
We examined both filters and discovered that P/N 11 42 7 833 769 is manufactured by Mahle and marked with their part number OX 187. The filter is also marked with BMW P/N 11 42 7 833 242 which is the part number assigned to the filter alone and is not an orderable BMW part number. When you order P/N 11 42 7 833 769 you get an Oil Filter Kit comprised of an oil filter, P/N 11 42 7 833 242 and the packet of two metal gasket rings (one silver and one copper colored) and two rubber o-rings.
An examination of Oil Filter Kit, BMW P/N 11 42 1 730 389, revealed a filter identified as made by Mann under Mann part number H 926/2 and BMW P/N 11 42 1 711 568. It had metal end caps but no perforated retention band. The accompanying packet contained two metal gasket rings (both silver in color) and two rubber o-rings.
The long and the short of it is that those of us with S50, S52, and S54 engines should use Oil Filter Kit, BMW P/N 11 42 7 833 769 or the identical after market Mahle OX 187 D. Those of us with the M50 engine should use Oil Filter Kit, BMW P/N 11 42 1 730 389. This filter cross references to the after market Mahle OX 68 D, or the Mann HU926/3x.
I also sent Mahle an email asking them to explain the differences, if any, between their OX 187 D oil filter and the OX 68 D. Here is their explanation:

Hello Jim,
Thanks for your inquiry and interest in MAHLE filters.
To explain the differences between the two filters, OX187D replaces OX68D only on BMW M3 & Z3 M - models. The OX68D is still used in other BMW models as before. The OX187D is almost identical to OX68D but uses an upgraded media.
Hope this answers your questions. If you need more information, just let me know.
Best Regards
John Enright
MAHLE, Inc.
Aftermarket
One MAHLE Drive, Morristown, TN 37814
Telephone:423-318-7974 Fax: 423-318-3190
[email protected], http://www.us.mahle.com

I spoke with John Enright and he speculated that the upgraded media (paper) in the OX 187 D is predicated on the increased oil change interval instituted by BMW commencing with the 1999 model year cars that come from the factory with BMW High Performance synthetic oil. He observed that if you change your oil, whether it be synthetic or otherwise, and filter every three to five thousand miles it probably doesn't matter which model filter you use as they are identical except for the pleated paper material.
Who said buying a Bimmer oil filter would be simple?

·
Registered
523 Posts
When you order P/N 11 42 7 833 769 you get an Oil Filter Kit comprised of an oil filter, P/N 11 42 7 833 242 and the packet of two metal gasket rings (one silver and one copper colored) and two rubber o-rings.
By the way... Dumb question I admit, but what are the two metal gasket rings for?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Drain plug and cannister cover bolt

The larger copper colored crush washer ( This gasket ring has a supplemental description of A12X17-CU which translates to 12mm ID, 17mm OD and copper material) goes on the oil drain plug and the smaller silver crush washer goes on the oil filter cannister cover bolt.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.