Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I noticed a small amount of oil starting to pool under the oil cooler. Not enough to drip to the floor and I'm not getting any errors. Oil level is also at Max.

I'm getting ready to do an oil change and figured I'd go ahead and do the infamous gasket replacement while I've got the oil drained (hopefully = less mess involved).

I was looking at a kit on FCPeuro (https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-engine-oil-filter-housing-gasket-kit-11428637821kt2) that included an oil pressure sensor :dunno:. I'm not sure if they added that to the kit because the sensor fails often, or to make more money.

Of all the YouTube videos and related comments, no one mentioned replacing their sensor as well.

The question of the day: Should I replace the sensor now?

·
Super Moderator
8,325 Posts
The oil pressure sensors on the N62 engine usually always get replaced when changing the vacuum pump o-ring. Changing the oil pressure switch while in the area, is just standard practice if it is involved in the scope of repairs.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Yesterday I noticed a small amount of oil starting to pool under the oil cooler. Not enough to drip to the floor and I'm not getting any errors. Oil level is also at Max.

I'm getting ready to do an oil change and figured I'd go ahead and do the infamous gasket replacement while I've got the oil drained (hopefully = less mess involved).

I was looking at a kit on FCPeuro (https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-engine-oil-filter-housing-gasket-kit-11428637821kt2) that included an oil pressure sensor :dunno:. I'm not sure if they added that to the kit because the sensor fails often, or to make more money.

Of all the YouTube videos and related comments, no one mentioned replacing their sensor as well.

The question of the day: Should I replace the sensor now?
I never replace this sensor while performing this repair and I do 2-3 per week. I've never had an issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just as an FYI on the gasket change. I changed both last week on my 530i in about 45 minutes. There is a lot of debate on whether to drain the coolant or not. I decided not to drain the coolant but instead, just clamped the radiator hose with a non marring clamp and then completed the change. I would guess that I lost about 300 ml of coolant if that. After the job was complete, I topped up the coolant and ran the burping procedure. Worked like a charm.

I will add though, that you absolutely need to have a battery charger or the like on your car when you do the procedure. The electric water pump cycle really kicks the tar out of the battery otherwise.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just as an FYI on the gasket change. I changed both last week on my 530i in about 45 minutes. There is a lot of debate on whether to drain the coolant or not. I decided not to drain the coolant but instead, just clamped the radiator hose with a non marring clamp and then completed the change. I would guess that I lost about 300 ml of coolant if that. After the job was complete, I topped up the coolant and ran the burping procedure. Worked like a charm.

I will add though, that you absolutely need to have a battery charger or the like on your car when you do the procedure. The electric water pump cycle really kicks the tar out of the battery otherwise.
I was debating doing a coolant flush as well. Right now I plan to skip it since I'm getting to the gaskets way before they start to leak heavily.

Is there a way to be sure oil has not started seeping into the coolant line already?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts