BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am getting quoted by an indy mechanic as the following -- is this fair?

All include parts & labor

Valve Cover Gasket -- $353
Oil Filter Housing Gasket, Vanos Hose, and Steam Clean -- $500
Lower Radiator Hose -- $308

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Is this fair? NO Replacing the valve cover gasket is fairly simple as is the lower radiator hose. I helped my brother change the oil filter gasket and vanos seals on his 328i. Takes some time but it's not difficult. Do you have any friends to help?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Cost of (genuine BMW) parts based on M54 X3:

Valve cover gasket - $58.28 http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E83-X3-M54_3.0L/ES2792770/
OFHG - $5.18 http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E83-X3-M54_3.0L/ES23900/
Vanos hose (will require an additional 4 new copper washers) - $44.11 http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E83-X3-M54_3.0L/ES23138/
Lower radiator hose - $52.38 http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E83-X3-M54_3.0L/ES38284/

Semi total for parts: $159.95 + shipping??

I would do the spark plugs as well when doing valve cover gasket and possibly upper rad hose too along with full coolant flush.

If you have time and are a handy individual you can easily save yourself at least $900-$1000 and maybe a bit more if you opt for the OE replacement parts instead. Lots of guides on YouTube that covers this stuff.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Oil Filter Housing Gasket, Valve Cover Gasket, Vanos Hose, Radiator Hose, Ste...

I was quoted $500 from my Indy for the valve cover but that included new plugs. Oil filter housing was 600 at the dealer

·
BMW FTW!
71 Posts
I was quoted about $900 for everything you listed except the lower radiator and vanos hose. He said he'd come up with a total price in a few days, but it should be around that number. I also had the spark plugs replaced(they were fouled by engine oil), and he also added some o-ring sealant into the engine cause the car has been smoking like a mofo.

I'm dumping the car in a few days cause it's seems like its planning to rob me. One xenon bulb just died on me today. This is shortly after the doors started leaking and engine started smoking.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't see any leak

The dealership is quoting me 381 for the oil filter gasket and 397 for the valve cover gasket when they did the oil change and nys inspection. .
I've got an indy that will probably do it cheaper but my question is, I don't see any oil leak. Took the plastic cover off and nothing around the valve cover. If the leak isn't too bad I might let it go for a bit. Are my days numbered on the oil filter gasket leak? Thanks all

·
BMW FTW!
71 Posts
Are my days numbered on the oil filter gasket leak?
You might be able to get by for now since its not too cold out. As long as the engine keeps getting nice and hot during drives(ie no short drives) it should be able to burn off any moisture that is sucked into the engine through the leak. Did you check the back of the engine for the valve cover gasket? Mine was clean up front but leaked near the oil filter and back of engine. My leak was to the point where the whole bottom part of the engine was covered in oil.

Def. get the gaskets replaced before winter comes around.

·
Registered
22 Posts
looks like u have to unfasten that large plastic panel underneath to discover any major leaks from valve cover. Also I DO have white gunk around oil filler cap so probably the OF housing gasket to blame, and I only drive 2-3 miles per day. Thanx for the heads up

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
The OFHG isn't the cause of white gunk on the oil filler cap - your 2 - 3 miles short daily use is. Condensation and other combustion byproducts are not getting burnt off.

You should plan for a crankcase vent valve system replacement in the near future - that could be another $500 job.

Dealer prices you got for OFHG and VCG jobs are reasonable.

OFHG can develop a sudden big leak if it gives way so should be given higher priority.

VCG typically gives a clue by dripping on the hot exhaust and a waxy smell when driving at times. Normally a slow leak that gets worse over a longer period of time, but can cause performance issues that warrant earlier intervention.

·
Registered
22 Posts
so I could be looking at 13-14 hundred bucks. It's running real nice right now but u never know. That Ford Focus ST is starting to look all the sweeter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts