BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
325xi, 02 model, i have a leak and think it is the oil filter housing where is bolts on to the block, has one had this fixed and how long of a job is it and is there an o-ring kit available?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
2 hours of free time plus $7. It is the most common source of oil leaks on our cars.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,979 Posts
what does free time mean, and $7 is for the o ring?
"Free time" is an expression. As in if you have 2 hours of time with nothing else to do (in other words, you are "free") then you can do it yourself and the only "cost" is your time.

Used in a sentence: "I decided to use my free time to replace my oil filter housing gasket, which ended up taking about 2 hours"

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Means it is an easy job, and you could DIY. A competent mechanic should not charge you more than 2 hours for it. Yes, the O-ring costs around $5-7.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
"Free time" is an expression. As in if you have 2 hours of time with nothing else to do (in other words, you are "free") then you can do it yourself and the only "cost" is your time.

Used in a sentence: "I decided to use my free time to replace my oil filter housing gasket, which ended up taking about 2 hours"
How's it going Shad? How's that ZHP treating ya? ;)

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,979 Posts
How's it going Shad? How's that ZHP treating ya? ;)
Loving every freaking minute of it! Thanks for asking! Have you seen Dave's new ZHP?

Bout to love the ZHP more, Koni yellows come in today, it'll be a nice addition to my 3.46 diff I added last week.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Loving every freaking minute of it! Thanks for asking! Have you seen Dave's new ZHP?

Bout to love the ZHP more, Koni yellows come in today, it'll be a nice addition to my 3.46 diff I added last week.
Nice additions, perfect car is being made perfect-er!

Saw Dave's ZHP, nice clean car. Drove it also, boy did I miss that steering! He'll be over here tomorrow for a little grillin'. I will tell him you said hi :thumbup:

OP hope you got your answer already. Sorry about the thread-jack :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
325xi, 02 model, i have a leak and think it is the oil filter housing where is bolts on to the block, has one had this fixed and how long of a job is it and is there an o-ring kit available?
I just did this job on mine two weeks ago. Not really that bad of a job just a lot of stuff to get out of the way first. Dont know how close you are to Charlottesville but I would be happy to take a look or give some advice.

I watched this guys video a couple of times and never really had to look at the DIY I printed off.

http://youtu.be/Jy0EKjuxlpY

One thing to note is that the power steering bolts on our XIs are oriented a little different than his but its easy enough to figure out.

·
Registered
846 Posts
i dont think that would cause the leak. Old gasket.

·
Registered
248 Posts
While you're in there, you might want to replace the oil separator and its associated houses too. Mine was an oily mess. That requires removing the throttle body, which isn't that hard (remember to get a new o-ring) and gives you a perfect opportunity to replace the induction hoses as well if you haven't already done that. Of course, the time and cost just went way up...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts