BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am changing my oil and noticed these ridges(?) at the top and bottom of the oil filter housing. Just not sure they are suppose to be there. I purchased the car about six months ago and did an oil service and did notice the ridges at that time but was, as usual, in too big a hurry to worry about it. I can't find a photo of the inside of the oil filter housing in new condition so I'm wondering if anyone can clue me in.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
Get a bent/hook dental pick and work them out side to side (pull on one side then the other). I guarantee they will come out. Be gentle because they may be a bit brittle depending on how long they've been in there. Start with the one in the filter housing cap so you can get a feel for it. When you work on the one in the filter housing itself be careful not to leave any debris in the housing when you're done. You can't leave them in there because they will prevent a proper fit of the new filter and eventually they can break up and send debris through your oil system.

·
Registered
184 Posts
djmjd is correct. This happened to me years back when I used a cheap advanced auto oil filter. Mine wasn't as bad as yours but i never got much (if any) of it out. Since this happened at about 80K miles, I'm still driving the 528 at 270K with the same filter housing and cap. The stuff is still there. Now I only use Mann filters. Be interesting to see if anyone on the forum has a good idea on how to get this out. Worst case is you replace the oil filter housing and cap from a junkyard.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys

Got a pick and then got two picks and they came right out.
I used a Mann filter last time and when I took it out it was twisted and broken apart at the top and bottom. After removing the old plastic parts filter and cap flowed right on.

Thanks again

·
Registered
15,479 Posts
While engine oil may last up to 10K+ (synthetic with mostly highway driving), an oil filter is not designed to last 10K.
Having said that max interval for oil filter is about 5K-7K.

Brand matters, stick to Mahle, Mann or BMW brand and replace the filter every 5K-7K, you won't have this problem of filter end cap coming loose.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
This makes me re-think my decision to use only Mahle filters. I chose the Mahle filters because i "felt" the plastic end caps on the filter were more robust than the uncapped Mann filter, and therefore the Mahle filter was a better choice. I have a Mahle sitting on my work bench. I think once I cycle it through I will go back to Mann filters.

Thoughts???

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Quick question:

I have nearly 3000 miles since my last change but my oil indicator still shows 4 green bars. Are we trusting the green bars or do people tend to change every 3000-5000 miles?

Thanks,

PJ

·
Registered
184 Posts
The green bars will take you to 8 or 9 thousand miles. Use mileage.
DJMJD, Thankyou for the tip on how to get this melted plastic out of the housing. Purchase an O-ring pick from the local auto parts store and removed the melted plastic in ~30 minutes after wasting hours with various screwdrivers.

·
Registered
15,779 Posts
The perforated tube is supposed to be snapped to the cap. It appears that your filter element has deteriorated, as there's no end cap on the element. See here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DT63&mospid=47587&btnr=11_2201&hg=11&fg=30

What a nightmare. Looks like the OFH is sludged up.

The V8 housing is designed somewhat differently. The element actually snaps directly into the cap, and is easily withdrawn after the cap is fully unscrewed.

·
Registered
189 Posts
While engine oil may last up to 10K+ (synthetic with mostly highway driving), an oil filter is not designed to last 10K.
Having said that max interval for oil filter is about 5K-7K.

Brand matters, stick to Mahle, Mann or BMW brand and replace the filter every 5K-7K, you won't have this problem of filter end cap coming loose.
I agree with CN90, my Fram filter did not hold up well to a 15,000 mile oil change interval, I would recommended that you change the filter at 7,500 miles or sooner, and just add another quart of synthetic oil or however much is needed, and change both the oil and filter at the 15,000 mile mark that BMW recommends.

The Napa platinum oil filter with a synthetic filter element could probably go 25,000 miles with Amsoil's Top Tier of Synthetic Motor Oil extended life oil, but it's expensive at 19.00 dollars, close to the price of three Mahle or Mann filters.
http://www.napafilters.com/filters/oil-filters/light-duty-oil-filters/platinumnapafilter-oil/

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651489

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/gasoline/?filters=284

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3263276/2

·
Premium Member
7,844 Posts
I agree with CN90 my Fram filter did not hold up well to a 15,000 mile oil change interval, I would recommended that you change the filter at 7,500 miles or sooner, and just add another quart of synthetic oil or however is much needed, and change both the oil and filter at the 15,000 mile mark. However the Napa platinum oil filter with a syntethic filter element could probably go 25,000 miles with Amsoil's Top Tier of Synthetic Motor Oil extended life oil.
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/gasoline/?filters=284
Just use a proper Hengst, Mahle or Mann filter, those will go 15k miles if that is your preference. I personally change everything at 7500 miles. (at 217k now). There are oil analysis threads on bobistheoilguy.com showing that on the E39 I6 and V8, you can go safely to 15k miles with a proper LL-01 specd oil. The oil will be pretty much reaching end of life, but nothing bad happens. I change it twice as often, because it makes me feel better, and oil changing can be a therapeutic routine. ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts