BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In April, i purchased a 1998 528 after owning a 97 528 for 13 years. I've always done my oil changes. My 97 has a plate in the oil filter housing that the lower part of oil filter sits on (so I thought). I just did my first oil change on my 98 and noticed no plate down there. My first thought was that it must have stuck to an oil filter and had been thrown away by a quick change shop possibly used by the previous owner. Still have my 97, so I decided to go steal it's plate and put in the 98. When I pulled the plate out and cleaned it off, I noticed that the Mann filters are wider than plate. The plate is cupped at the edge but is narrower than the Mann filter. Then I noticed the plate had "MADE IN USA" on it. I am now thinking this was part of an older oil filter that the previous owner of the 97 had in there and it didn't come out during an oil change. I know some filters or these cars have metal ends (K&N).

For you guys the change your own oil and look/clean out the housing before installing the new filter, do you ever recall seeing the plate? I have searched oil filter housing on this forum and found no mention of it. I went to real OEM and no drawings show it but RealOEM doesn't show any of the oil filter housing internal parts.

·
Nothing to read here...
2,694 Posts
Can you take pics.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It's the plastic bottom of old oil filter. Some filters (not Mann) have plastic ends. I discovered the exact same thing on my first oil change and I was similarly baffled at first....until I thought of the typical scallion at Jiffy Lube who doesn't know any better.

·
Registered
61 Posts
That's what I'm thinking as well. Looks like an old filter came apart and left a piece of the bottom in the filter housing. That definitely shouldn't be in there!

·
Registered
15,213 Posts
Yes,

Old filter cap left behind, courtesy of:
1. Substandard part (the glue was not able to stand up to heat)...or
2. Extended change interval such as 10K.

Whatever, it is a good habit to check the bottom of the canister when doing oil change and fish out old stuff.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for confirming what I suspected. Can't believe i left that piece in there for 13 years! Live and learn.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts