BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found that all the spark plugs were fouled with dried oil but no oil in spark plug holes. The spark plug threads have a little oil. The boots are dry and clean. Or did the oil in the wells just dried up? No oil outside the valve cover and I changed the valve cover gasket myself and I did change the gaskets around the spark plug holes. Strange. The spark plugs are pretty fouled up. Any pointers to what may be going on?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
How many miles on the motor?
The potential sources of oil are:
- worn valve guides
- worn piston rings
- CCV not working properly
If the car is near or above 200K miles, a compression and leakdown test is probably worth doing- probably the best way to determine health of the motor.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah, it's for my 528 and the engine just hit 200k+ and runs great. Thank you Wsgoma for your recommendation. It's probably the CCV and I changed it last night together with the spark plugs.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Checkout and verify the CCV/emission stuff is working properly- if it checks OK, then do compression/leakdown. I've owned three 528i's and two I ran to over 200K miles; never an issue with the CCV, but it certainly can be a cause, do check it first as it's the easy one to fix compared to the two other potential sources of oil!

Good luck/ Bill

·
Registered
15,608 Posts
Looks more like a result of driving like an old lady.

Have you noted oil consumption on the dipstick? #3 plug looks suspicious.

Some folks believe that oil in the well gets into the engine. No way, Kemo sabe!

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Checkout and verify the CCV/emission stuff is working properly- if it checks OK, then do compression/leakdown. I've owned three 528i's and two I ran to over 200K miles; never an issue with the CCV, but it certainly can be a cause, do check it first as it's the easy one to fix compared to the two other potential sources of oil!

Good luck/ Bill
Wow, two 528 over 200K miles? What happened to them? I'm planning to keep mine forever- if I could take it with me after-life I would:rofl:

·
Registered
15,608 Posts
There's no petrol in Heaven; everyone flies.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
...about 2 months ago I sold my 98 528i (218K miles) and replaced it with a 00 528i M-Sport w/5 spd....single owner car w/84K miles and it's pristine - $4500.....from a seller up Ed's way (Los Gatos, CA).
The 98 model year car's motor ran fine, but things were wearing of course. Compression was good but leakdown was at 30% on 5 of 6 cylinders, the car was obviously using some oil and it was pushing on the hydrocarbon limits when CA SMOG tested, tho it did squeak by. It was a 5 spd and with the miles on the motor and 155K on the 2nd clutch, well....it was going to need some major money not too far down the road. I was VERY luck to locate the new 528i, the seller (and original owner) kept it mechanically and cosmetically pristine. I sold the 98 model year car for $3K down here in SoCal.

Good luck on your car....lets hope it's the CCV, sounds like it likely is at cause.

Bill

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks more like a result of driving like an old lady.

Have you noted oil consumption on the dipstick? #3 plug looks suspicious.

Some folks believe that oil in the well gets into the engine. No way, Kemo sabe!
You're probably on target there, Edjack:rofl: It's my daily commute car and I live only about 5 miles from work. I occasionaly hit the freeway but now I sure have a good excuse to hit the freeways more often to get her hot and burn off moisture and all.

·
Registered
15,608 Posts
You're probably on target there, Edjack:rofl: It's my daily commute car and I live only about 5 miles from work. I occasionaly hit the freeway but now I sure have a good excuse to hit the freeways more often to get her hot and burn off moisture and all.
Buy a bike!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts