BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just recently changed my oil on my 2006 330i. After finishing the whole procedure I went and started up the car and let it sit for 5 mins or so and then went on to check the oil level and when I was checking it says inactive not entirely sure what that means. Not enough oil or a sensor maybe? Any thoughts or advice?

·
Pedant and Curmudgeon
6,205 Posts
So I just recently changed my oil on my 2006 330i. After finishing the whole procedure I went and started up the car and let it sit for 5 mins or so and then went on to check the oil level and when I was checking it says inactive not entirely sure what that means. Not enough oil or a sensor maybe? Any thoughts or advice?
Your car needs to be driven for 10-15 minutes for the computer to agree to present the oil level. After that amount of time, the car is warmed up and oil at a steady-state level. This information is in the manual.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My personal experience with that same error was caused by various electrical problems with the car (both alternator and IBS sensor in my case). The actual code in the enhanced powertrain module was 2EA1.

I don't have the manual at hand, but I suspect in my case it was either due to one of the failed components and the level sensor sharing the same CAN bus run or the power management in the DME shutting the oil level sensor down. Once I had replaced the failed charging system components the error disappeared on its own.

Al

1 - 3 of 3 Posts