BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’been a happy 2006 330i owner but found oil in my antifreeze. Recently changed oil and oil level dropped sooner than expected. Usually use a quart in 4K mi or so but needed a quote in under 2k. With a190k miles i suspect I am blowing oils into cooling system through head gasket. Just looking for some opinions. If there might some other possible way to get oil in cooling system, please let me know. Unfortunately I don,t feel the body of my 330 is worth the cost of this head gasket repair. Something a bit less expensive I would like to keep her going. Please tell me my suspicion is wrong and it is an easy repair.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,097 Posts
A blown/leaking head gasket would more likely be the other way `round, i.e., coolant mixing with the oil, making it look like a milkshake on the dipstick, usually accompanied by overheating, and a sweetish, antifreeze smell from the tailpipes....
A cracked head, or cracked block could be another possibility. Does the car have a history of overheating ?

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
06 330i is a sedan, right? If so it’s an e90 not e46. Makes no difference in the financial math if engine work starts its am N52 as opposed to M54. Totally different.
The thing is you have a paperweight wort( nothing if you don’t pay to fix it whereas you have a running car if you do. Tough decision.
Had an e90 06 330i for a few years. Loved it.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest

·
Keeping it surreal
43,097 Posts

·
Keeping it surreal
43,097 Posts
I’m a stick guy, too. But I’ve read enough threads about failures of the transmission fluid cooler. It’s a hunch, nothing more.
That`s OK….you`re giving the OP a good, solid lead as to the possible cause of his problem :thumbup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe I have an N52 engine. Manual trans. I know typically blown head gasket goes the other way around with overheating, burning antifreeze and milky oil. That is why I am asking the bimmer enthusiasts. She still running good. At times I feel a roughness (not a misfire) but will go away if I back off gas.

I want to make every effort to hold on to this fun machine. The oil filter house also has coolant passages. Maybe I should look into replacing surrounding gaskets and/or complete assembly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just replaced the oil filter housing gasket. I guess time will tell. I did not see anything obvious when disassembled. After draining radiator, I know this is only partial coolant, but went through bleeding process, new antifreeze I added had a bunch of oil in it in reservoir. I think the only way to clean oil out of all cooling system components would be to disconnect many hoses and run hot water through to flush. Or just keep draining and flushing. That could take a long time to get all the oil out. How much does contaminated antifreeze really hurt?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts