BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

Posted a week ago or so that the low oil warning came on but most of the replies that I got (including BMWNA) was that it was normal for the N54 engine to consume oil. So I added 1 quart of oil, the warning disappeared and everything was OK.

However, I still wasn't very convinced that it was normal for an engine to use up 1 quart of oil in only 3000 miles. So I took the car to the dealer and my doubt was confirmed. The car was leaking oil. It was from a defective seal in the chain tensioner.

I got my car back after 2 days and everything is fine now, but the image that I had towards BMW has somewhat been tainted. This and the fact that even though my car has the sports package, it doesn't have an oil cooler and its limited to 130mph. Not to mention all the issues that I've read on this forum that other people had with fuel pumps, overheating, etc.

I NEVER expected BMW to have quality issues or play dirty marketing tricks the way I've found out. If I had gotten a Kia or a Hyundai, this type of things would be normal I suppose, but BMW? What the hell???

If I have 1 more problem with my car that's it, NEVER a BMW again. Besides, that C63 AMG is looking VERY tempting...

·
Registered
213 Posts
BMW quality rankings are actually pretty good

Keep in mind that recent JD Power and other rankings (posted in this forum) indicate that BMW quality is pretty good. The new Benz is a hell of a nice looking car, although it still has that older man image that I can't shake, but Mercedes has really had some quality problems of late and their new marketing campaigns emphasize that they have refocused on quality.

Glad they fixed you're car but at the risk of pissing a lot of people off, I'm really starting to think that the 335i and the Xi have a higher share of problems than other vehicles in the series. However, I'd be willing to bet that this will be the last problem you have with the car.
AJ

·
Boosted Bavarian
1,272 Posts
Glad they fixed you up. Stop worrying and enjoy your car. However, don’t be alarmed if you have to add a quart between changes. Especially if you choose to go with the recommended 15k intervals.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I got my car back after 2 days and everything is fine now, but the image that I had towards BMW has somewhat been tainted. This and the fact that even though my car has the sports package, it doesn't have an oil cooler and its limited to 130mph. Not to mention all the issues that I've read on this forum that other people had with fuel pumps, overheating, etc.
The oil cooler issue is also completely overblown on this forum, as is the fuel pump issue to a lesser extent. Check out this thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269694

There are 70+ people that stated they haven't had any problems, including me. As it has been said before, people post to complain about their problems... you don't see the vast majority who don't post saying "Day 346, everything is still fine."

Your car may have the sport package but it's an xi, so the top speed is limited to 130 mph because it comes with all-season tires. You have to order the factory 18" wheels with the W-rated summer tires to get the higher top speed. This is spelled out in the ordering info, so why are you suddenly upset about this?

I NEVER expected BMW to have quality issues or play dirty marketing tricks the way I've found out. If I had gotten a Kia or a Hyundai, this type of things would be normal I suppose, but BMW? What the hell???

If I have 1 more problem with my car that's it, NEVER a BMW again. Besides, that C63 AMG is looking VERY tempting...
As price increases quality and reliability often decreases. BMWs in many respects push the envelope of technology and performance beyond what is found in your everyday Hyundai or Kia. I would expect far simpler cars to break less. They don't have highly complex twin-turbo engines, integrated cockpit management systems, or the other staggering array of highly complex systems found in a BMW. Or M-B, Audi, and further up the food chain for that matter. If all you care about is bulletproof, steadfast reliability you probably shouldn't be driving a BMW. A Toyota will give you that. So what other problems have you had that has given you this attitude of "1 more problem with my car that's it, NEVER a BMW again." If you think a C63 is going to be completely trouble-free by comparison, don't be surprised if it's not. Have you missed the news about all of M-B's quality mishaps since the late 90's?

So seriously man, calm down and enjoy your car. I'm glad it sounds like it was an easily fixed problem.

·
Advocate de diabolo
2,363 Posts
The oil cooler issue....

..... A Toyota will give you that. So what other problems have you had that has given you this attitude of "1 more problem with my car that's it, NEVER a BMW again." If you think a C63 is going to be completely trouble-free by comparison, don't be surprised if it's not. Have you missed the news about all of M-B's quality mishaps since the late 90's?

So seriously man, calm down and enjoy your car. I'm glad it sounds like it was an easily fixed problem.
+1 agreed, but I do remember the OP's previous thread and was one of the only people who thought it was really abnormal to lose that much oil after such little time. If anyone else keeps losing oil, it is not normal unless it is over an extended period, like the 15,000 interval, which in itself is absurd.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As price increases quality and reliability often decreases. BMWs in many respects push the envelope of technology and performance beyond what is found in your everyday Hyundai or Kia. I would expect far simpler cars to break less. They don't have highly complex twin-turbo engines, integrated cockpit management systems, or the other staggering array of highly complex systems found in a BMW. Or M-B, Audi, and further up the food chain for that matter. If all you care about is bulletproof, steadfast reliability you probably shouldn't be driving a BMW. A Toyota will give you that. So what other problems have you had that has given you this attitude of "1 more problem with my car that's it, NEVER a BMW again." If you think a C63 is going to be completely trouble-free by comparison, don't be surprised if it's not. Have you missed the news about all of M-B's quality mishaps since the late 90's?

I STRONGLY disagree with the statement highlighted above. Porsche pushes the envelope as much as BMW does (sometimes even more) and they are one of the highest quality brands in the world (particularly the 911). I know M-B had horrendous quality during their "Chrysler years", but I honestly think that they are going back to building great cars that not only age well, but in some cases seem to improve as they get older. We've had all kinds of Benzes in my family (starting with a 1980 250), and one of the reasons that my parents never even think about buying something that doesn't have the star sitting on top of the grille, is not only because they are comfortable, elegant, etc. it's because they have always been extremely well built reliable cars (again, excluding the Chrysler stupidity).

By the way, I am absolutely in love with my car but what I originally thought was a lifetime marriage to BMW, now seems more like a relationship with a dumb supermodel; enjoy it while it lasts but sooner or later the looks and the "performance" will fade...

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
By the way, I am absolutely in love with my car but what I originally thought was a lifetime marriage to BMW, now seems more like a relationship with a dumb supermodel; enjoy it while it lasts but sooner or later the looks and the "performance" will fade...
Just curious, why, if you live in Miami, did you buy a four wheel drive sedan?

Anyway, to your issue, you seem to have had one issue, fairly easily rectified, with your car. It's a box full of mechanical parts. Stuff fails from time to time. I don't see that as a reason to swear off a brand. But hey, if you want to turn in your car (lease? buy?) for a Benz, have at it.

Personally, I won't bore you with my experienced with Mercedes Benz; suffice it to say we now own two bimmers.

Good luck.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just curious, why, if you live in Miami, did you buy a four wheel drive sedan?
I was living in Denver and I moved to Miami a month ago. And actually, I couldn't be happier that I got the xi (coupe by the way) and not the i. IMO its so much more badass than the i and I LOVE the fact that I'm probably the only one in Miami with an xi. Anything that separates me from the average Miami inhabitant makes me a very happy man :D

Not to mention that in regular city driving, the xi is faster than the i :rofl:

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
I was living in Denver and I moved to Miami a month ago. And actually, I couldn't be happier that I got the xi (coupe by the way) and not the i. IMO its so much more badass than the i and I LOVE the fact that I'm probably the only one in Miami with an xi. Anything that separates me from the average Miami inhabitant makes me a very happy man :D

Not to mention that in regular city driving, the xi is faster than the i :rofl:
Fair enough. :thumbup:

Hope all works out for you and your car; I'd like to own a new E9x but alas keeping my son in school and wife out of debt is a full time occupation. :rofl:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts