BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For as long as I've had my car (5+ years) I've had an oil leak... to the tune of 3-4 quarts every 10k. I had the pan gasket replace and the valve cover gasket replace initially and that didn't fix it so I've learned to deal with it.

However as I've spent more time under her recently, I have noticed the the hoses going to the oil cooler seem the most covered and where the exit from below as well....

I have yet to spray it down and look again but I thought I would put this out there and see if there might be any insight.

Thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
check your oil filter housing at the engine block. when mine finally wore out it leaked and sprayed oil all over the bottom of my car, which made it hard to figure out where it was coming from. It seems to be a typical problem. Once you get the alternator off the $5 gasket can be easily replaced.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
check your oil filter housing at the engine block. when mine finally wore out it leaked and sprayed oil all over the bottom of my car, which made it hard to figure out where it was coming from. It seems to be a typical problem. Once you get the alternator off the $5 gasket can be easily replaced.
Is it the "oil sending gasket" that seems to be the only one I know of...

·
Registered
46 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
The housing that contains the oil filter, is bolted to the engine block--you unbolt the hosing and then clean everything down well --replace the gasket and bolt it all back up---turning wrenches

·
Registered
15,221 Posts
Thanks eddiec,

I have had the annoying oil leak that looks like oil pan gasket leak, but when I look at my 1998 Volvo V70 with the same mileage of 100K miles (same gasket), absolutely no leak, not a single drop. The oil pan gasket is made from very tough material, so unlikely to leak at 100K miles.
Plus replacing the I6 oil pan gasket is absolutely no fun (dropping subframe).
Then I looked at bimmerforums, some people thought they had oil pan gasket leak, spent 10h changing oil pan gasket to find out later that the leak was from the O.F. Housing gasket!!!

So, I just looked at my engine tonight, it looks exactly like the pic you posted. So I am very convinced that I need to replace my O.F. Housing gasket. The parts costs $3-5 but I am tight with time (family, kids etc.) but will definitely do it and report back.

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
Is it the "oil sending gasket" that seems to be the only one I know of...
This is the part. I have it right here ready for my next DIY. Because of it's location, and the air blowing on the engine, it will spray all over the engine on the driver side.

3 hours labor charge by the book. It takes people DIY it in about 4 hours. An experience tech will can do it in 1.5 hours.

(Can you see my yesterday DIY underneath my nail... :( )

mw

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep... this makes sense... my oil filter and power steering stuff is covered with oil as well.....
Thanks for the pdf diy post as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts