BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 X5 4.8i with 102,000 mile on it. I've owned it since February. I'm going through a quart of oil every 2,500 miles.

I've been told by two different sources (dealer and indy) that I have an oil leak that needs repair. Both places quoted the same repair. They've both called for valve cover gaskets replaced and the timing cover gasket. The quotes ranged from $1800-$2800. The indy said they could do the spark plugs as well for a total, out the door cost of $2,200. (TN tax rate is really high)

Before I give the go ahead on this repair, I wanted to get some opinions. I've been following a thread on here about valve stem seals being a real problem with this engine and going out about the mileage I'm at. There's a thread where a BMW tech in NY is offering to fix that issue for $2,500. If I understand that project, I think it would fix my current issue as well. With that being said, I'm not seeing smoke out of the tailpipe and not going through enough oil that I think my valve stem seals are bad at this point.

So if that's the case, would you guys recommend doing the valve stem seals anyways, as preventative maintenance? I'm thinking the cost is pretty close to the same, so it might make sense to just go all in with this repair. I'm in Nashville but figured a trip to NY isn't out of the question for some long term peace of mind...

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
yes. similar price and a proven mechanic

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
Smart thinking. There are several gaskets that will leak on this engine. All the ones you listed, plus the alternator bracket gasket. Smart to do them all at once, because once one starts to leak the others soon follow and the cost of the repair is all labor. Most of that labor repeats itself for several of those gaskets, so killing all the troublesome birds with one stone is a great idea. It's my plan when my 650 with same engine starts to leak.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 2008 X5 4.8i with 102,000 mile on it. I've owned it since February. I'm going through a quart of oil every 2,500 miles.

I've been told by two different sources (dealer and indy) that I have an oil leak that needs repair. Both places quoted the same repair. They've both called for valve cover gaskets replaced and the timing cover gasket. The quotes ranged from $1800-$2800. The indy said they could do the spark plugs as well for a total, out the door cost of $2,200. (TN tax rate is really high)

Before I give the go ahead on this repair, I wanted to get some opinions. I've been following a thread on here about valve stem seals being a real problem with this engine and going out about the mileage I'm at. There's a thread where a BMW tech in NY is offering to fix that issue for $2,500. If I understand that project, I think it would fix my current issue as well. With that being said, I'm not seeing smoke out of the tailpipe and not going through enough oil that I think my valve stem seals are bad at this point.

So if that's the case, would you guys recommend doing the valve stem seals anyways, as preventative maintenance? I'm thinking the cost is pretty close to the same, so it might make sense to just go all in with this repair. I'm in Nashville but figured a trip to NY isn't out of the question for some long term peace of mind...
I just had this issue as well ( you can find it in my earlier post about the valve cover being cracked)...dealer quoted me 1566. This price included the actual cover itself and gaskets which come with purchasing the valve cover. They gave me this same scenario you are in where they said eventually I will be filling up a quart of oil every gas fill up.

I plan to do it myself, if you need just gaskets its pretty cheap online. There are also a bunch of videos on youtube and DIYs in these forums on how to do it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sorry if this is stupid question but if these gaskets are going or gone (Valve cover, timing cover) would there be visible oil leak or seep? Or would it burn off.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sorry if this is stupid question but if these gaskets are going or gone (Valve cover, timing cover) would there be visible oil leak or seep? Or would it burn off.
From my experience if you let the car idle and pop the hood open you can see blue smoke from either the sides or the back of the engine steam off when it hits the exhaust manifold or exhaust pipe. Also you can smell the burning of oil.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Thank you. The reason I ask (and maybe slightly off topic here) is I had blue smoke out exhaust after idle and burned about quart per 1200 miles, no visible leaks. Dealer recently replaced the following under CPO: valve stem seals, new turbo units, timing chain and guide, new vanos unit.

After all that work no blue smoke out exhaust after idle at all. But looks like I will use my first quart of oil at about 1100 miles (worse than before)!

I'm just not yet resigned to the fact that this much oil burn is normal and "within spec" and "could be worse". So I'm looking for my next move.

2011 50i, 63k miles.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thank you. The reason I ask (and maybe slightly off topic here) is I had blue smoke out exhaust after idle and burned about quart per 1200 miles, no visible leaks. Dealer recently replaced the following under CPO: valve stem seals, new turbo units, timing chain and guide, new vanos unit.

After all that work no blue smoke out exhaust after idle at all. But looks like I will use my first quart of oil at about 1100 miles (worse than before)!

I'm just not yet resigned to the fact that this much oil burn is normal and "within spec" and "could be worse". So I'm looking for my next move.

2011 50i, 63k miles.
I think that's normal for your engine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the opinions and comments. I've heard back from the mechanic in NY and gotten a quote for the whole project. The valve gaskets are included for the $2,500. He'll charge an additional $350 to do the timing cover gasket and $160 to replace spark plugs. So, a total of $3,010 replaces gaskets, valve stem seal, and spark plugs. That's just a touch over the cost the dealer was going to charge for the gaskets alone. For an additional $800 over what the Indy was going to charge to do plugs and gaskets, I'll also get my valve stem seals done. That seems like a no brainer, so that's the route I'm going to go. I'll post a review of the work once it's been done. Thanks again for all the opinions everyone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For my experience, I'm not getting any smoke out the tailpipe. The indy shop said there was some oil buildup on the engine. They degreased and cleaned the engine, then had me come back after 600 miles to check for buildup. It was at that point that they diagnosed the timing and valve cover gaskets. (The dealer just told me I had an oil leak and to replace the gaskets as part of the scheduled vehicle check service I had scheduled)

I'm not seeing any oil on my garage floor or noticing any smoke off of the engine at all. To be fair, I didn't spend much time with the hood up/engine running looking for smoke, so it may well have been there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts