BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought my x3 in for rear brakes today. $192 for labor, $213 for pads and rotors. About the same as FCP but I don't know what they used.

I knew my oil pan gasket was leaking and asked for a quote. $1,500 for the oil pan gasket Said it was 11 hours labor.

They also said the front main seal is leaking. $450.

Can't wait for my new Jeep to arrive!

Reactions: dukedkt442

·
Anti-Hack
6,641 Posts
That’s not a bad price for the OPG at all; too bad you’re on the opposite side of the Great Divide, I’d do it in under 7 for $1000.

Front seal seems high. N52 is an hour, tops, and M54 is even easier.

Via the interwebs

·
Registered
23 Posts
Would high-mileage oils with seal conditioners help? Or would they cause other problems in these engines?

- Tom

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's not worth it to do either with a new car coming. Will look at the front main seal tomorrow. Maybe I can DIY.

·
Anti-Hack
6,641 Posts
it's not worth it to do either with a new car coming. Will look at the front main seal tomorrow. Maybe I can DIY.
The front seal on the M54 can be easily removed with a seal puller; the engine has a removable timing cover to further facilitate its removal.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. Just need to decide to be in the mood to do it. Easier to pay .

·
Anti-Hack
6,641 Posts
Thanks. Just need to decide to be in the mood to do it. Easier to pay .
If you decide you want to, shoot me a PM and I'll send pics of the shop manual's steps/tightening values for the M54 front seal replacement so you can make an informed decision if its something you want to DIY.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you decide you want to, shoot me a PM and I'll send pics of the shop manual's steps/tightening values.
Could you PM me this info…..I was also quoted $1,500 for replacement. Needing to do this soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you decide you want to, shoot me a PM and I'll send pics of the shop manual's steps/tightening values for the M54 front seal replacement so you can make an informed decision if its something you want to DIY.
Appreciate that. I have a manual and the know how. Just don't want to do it.

@DDS79 $1,500 for only the front main seal? Seems pretty high. Or maybe that was for both? For both that would be fair if don'y DIY.

Reactions: dukedkt442

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
$1,500 for Oil Pan Gasket only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what I was quoted. They said it's 11+ hours.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts